Football 52: How Many Different Ways Can Commentators Pronounce "Özil"?

Xray the Enforcer

Barry's a good player, but I think you're overstating his case a little bit; he's likely to be a fan favourite for whoever he's playing for but most other teams will have their own version of a similar player.

His experience will help a lot but I reckon in the long run, McCarthy will be the better acquisition, top quality midfielder they've got there. The two of them together should be a really solid midfield pair when they get up to speed.

I'll be happy if we drop Osman for the next game, he's not been at his best. Thus far, we've not had replacements for him, but McCarthy and Barry cover nicely, and if Gibson gets back we actually have competition for the places.. That's unusual.

Barry's a good player, but I think you're overstating his case a little bit; he's likely to be a fan favourite for whoever he's playing for but most other teams will have their own version of a similar player.

He's a reasonable player but I don't have overly positive feelings about him since Benitez bizarrely trying to sell Xabi Alonso to sign him helped start Liverpool's collapse in form over the past few years.

Don't get me wrong, I rate him, but I think if you put him in Spurs' team instead of Dembele (or possibly that Capoue on the brief evidence before he got snapped, as he's a more direct comparison), or in Arsenal's team instead of Arteta, he wouldn't improve them. Conceivably he's mildly better than Lucas at Liverpool but not by that much.

He might improve us instead of Carrick because he can short-pass and is more consistent, but Fletcher before his bowels dissolved was at least as good, imo. And if we were going for a player like that, I'd pick Morgan Schneiderlin over him all day.

Basically, those players, while not ten-a-penny, are dotted around, and everyone who supports the teams they play for rates them much more highly than those who don't.

Very well played by Barry, Naismith, Coleman and Distin. Barkley looks very over-hyped at the minute. He has wonderful ball control and a thunderbolt shot but he selfishly overplays the ball most times he receives it. So frustrating for teammates to watch him waste possession. I thought Mirallas would lump him at one point. I hope he develops some better judgment.

Chelsea looked pretty toothless in the second half. I (and millions of others) am still wondering why they loaned out Lukaku. Schurrle should have scored at the start of the second half. Eto'o could have done better to evade that great block by Barry in the first half. But Chelsea didn't create great chances.

United needed a soft penalty and a free-kick to score at home against Palace. City drew a blank at Stoke. None of the big three are really clicking yet and Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool are making better progress so far. Ozil and Eriksen both had nice debuts today, albeit against weak opponents.

Very well played by Barry, Naismith, Coleman and Distin. Barkley looks very over-hyped at the minute. He has wonderful ball control and a thunderbolt shot but he selfishly overplays the ball most times he receives it. So frustrating for teammates to watch him waste possession. I thought Mirallas would lump him at one point. I hope he develops some better judgment.

It's improving. Last year he generally ran into cul-de-sacs, trying for Hollywood passes. He has raised his game quite a lot over the summer - and he's only 19.

I appreciate how in games Everton are dominating more, Barkley might be irritating (though some of his passes today were good), but for today's game he was perfect. Almost every time he got the ball in the second half, Everton wound up with a free-kick, frequently at least twenty yards further forward then when he'd gotten hold of it in the first place. Nothing relieves pressure like that sort of thing.

Don't get me wrong, I rate him, but I think if you put him in Spurs' team instead of Dembele (or possibly that Capoue on the brief evidence before he got snapped, as he's a more direct comparison), or in Arsenal's team instead of Arteta, he wouldn't improve them. Conceivably he's mildly better than Lucas at Liverpool but not by that much.

He might improve us instead of Carrick because he can short-pass and is more consistent, but Fletcher before his bowels dissolved was at least as good, imo. And if we were going for a player like that, I'd pick Morgan Schneiderlin over him all day.

Basically, those players, while not ten-a-penny, are dotted around, and everyone who supports the teams they play for rates them much more highly than those who don't.

I will, begrudgingly, admit that you might have a point. I think he would improve your lot because, good game or bad, he never goes missing unlike Carrick. Fletcher - sadly we will never know. Had the makings of a pretty great United midfielder but being honest, we're most likely not going to see him again which is a shame.

I think the outpouring of grief from City fans speaks volumes though. If Leiva left 'Pool or Carrick left your lot then I doubt the same would happen.

I will be watching a lot more of Everton this year, that's for sure.

Did Barca forget to give their players the drugs before the game or something?

In other La Liga news, Madrid's starting starting lineup is worth £324 million, the most expensive lineup in history, both for club or country. Madrid - Killing football since forever.

Hard to root against a team who's nickname is The Yellow Submarine. I wonder if Bale will transfer his early Spurs curse over to Madrid! Can't imagine those lunatics in the Bernabeu will have as much patience with him

Archived