Is he an oaf?

Drexyon7

So who exactly states Mace is an oaf? We here it from Cersei who thinks everyone is a moron.

Olenna to me uses the term endearingly and shouldn't taken too seriously.

So who calls Mace an oaf? He has kept his army and family out of immediate danger since Robert's rebellion and is one of the most powerful men in Westeros. I don't think he's that dumb, by no means a schemer but I read a post equating him to Balon in intelligence and I thought that was bunk.

I've said it once, and I'll repeat. Both Mace and Stannis can claim to do more than any other "player", and thier "game" is practically none-existant.

Willas sound like a great guy.

Garlan's picture is in the dictionarry next to "perfect knight" (unless he really killed Joffrey, and then he should be next to BAMF), and scored a lordship.

Loras is in the Kingsguard.

Marg is queen.

Mace is Hand of the King, and soon regent.

Two bannermen on the small council.

Marg is held by the faith? Goes to KL with:

1. 4 companions.

2. 200 of his best men.

3. Tarly's army.

4. Mace's and Tarly's armies. Just to be on the safe side...

Gotta love lord puff fish.

During Robert's Rebellion, Mace defended the Targaryen dynasty by braving laying siege to Storm's End with the full might of Highgarden behind him. In doing so he kept the garrison of 500 penned up and unable to contribute to the war.

Meanwhile, Rhaegar lost at the battle of the Trident, and Tywin Lannister sacked King's Landing.

And there are other things. The fact he's willing to give the Iron Islands the North and independence. Because, that would totally be a stable situation. The fact he seems to really want Cersei convicted of Incest, despite it meaning Tommen would be a bastard and thus not the rightful king and say hello to your old friend Stannis, Mace.

During Robert's Rebellion, Mace defended the Targaryen dynasty by braving laying siege to Storm's End with the full might of Highgarden behind him. In doing so he kept the garrison of 500 penned up and unable to contribute to the war.

Meanwhile, Rhaegar lost at the battle of the Trident, and Tywin Lannister sacked King's Landing.

And there are other things. The fact he's willing to give the Iron Islands the North and independence. Because, that would totally be a stable situation. The fact he seems to really want Cersei convicted of Incest, despite it meaning Tommen would be a bastard and thus not the rightful king and say hello to your old friend Stannis, Mace.

So when Roose conserves his troops he's playing the game and brilliant but when Mace does it he is an oaf? From what we see of his character Mace is looking out for Mace. There is a reason the Tyrells essentially sat out of RR and consequently are one of the most powerful houses for it.

This worked in Mace's favor a lot. It seems he was almost playing both sides.

If the Crown won, Mace can at least say he helped because he laid siege to Robert the rebel's home.

If the rebels won, well, at least Mace didn't really contribute to the fight against them, so they could easily be accepted back into the fold.

Mace isn't a genius, but I don't think he's as much of an idiot as people make him out to be. Just look at the future he's set up for his children. One is his heir, one started his own cadet branch, one is a member of the KG (still a prestigious order despite some of the current members), and one is a Queen. That's really, really good.

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether you're being sarcastic with this or not. They sat outside the castle on their asses and just kept the Storm's End guys pinned in. There was no actual fighting. I'm not saying that isn't a contribution, but it does not make him some decorated soldier or a tactical genius. And obviously the siege wasn't entirely successful because Davos and his onions got through.

Mace isn't a genius, but I don't think he's as much of an idiot as people make him out to be. Just look at the future he's set up for his children. One is his heir, one started his own cadet branch, one is a member of the KG (still a prestigious order despite some of the current members), and one is a Queen. That's really, really good.

I'd be more willing to give him credit for this if I didn't suspect that Olenna was really the brains behind the entire thing.

If Kevan thinks someone is an oaf, i am inclined to believe it. However is is surrounded by some intelligent people. The siege of storm's end seems like Tarly or redwyne idea. Same with backing renly and the joffrey..

However he isnt Cersei or Balon level stupid.

He actually believes in the pageantry after Blackwater, that Joff was the brave glorious hero who steeled his forces in defence of KL.

I have two defenses for this... 1. He had to. He was marrying his daughter to her, joining their families. It would not do for him to think Joffrey the coward he was or deny the story in public. 2. No one told him otherwise. Tyrion didn't get the credit he deserved from anyone except TV Varys, I believe.

Archived