Video Games: Grinding To Oblivion

Relic

Polygon gave it a 9.5. Who knows, might actually be that great. .

I don't think there's any question that it will be great. It's a given. But it needs to be more than great to live up to all the expectations, hype, the massive cost, and the series' own legacy. Like the Undisputed Masterpiece of Current Gen Consoles. GTA IV got 98% on Metacritic so it needs to beat that...

...It's on 99% out of 21 reviews, right now. 10 from Edge and GamesTM who don't dish those out too frequently. Looking good so far.

I don't think there's any question that it will be great. It's a given. But it needs to be more than great to live up to all the expectations, hype, the massive cost, and the series' own legacy. Like the Undisputed Masterpiece of Current Gen Consoles. GTA IV got 98% on Metacritic so it needs to beat that...

...It's on 99% out of 21 reviews, right now. 10 from Edge and GamesTM who don't dish those out too frequently. Looking good so far.

Oh shit, now it's on 97.

It's over, Rockstar is done.

You can increase the difficulty separate from the Normal/Nightmare/Hell/Inferno playthroughs.

I would suggest you do so because on the default difficulty level on Normal Diablo 3 is so piss easy a 2 year old could play it via Kinect. Which is, of course, the intent.

Yeah, I can why everyone is just rushing through to Inferno to do co-op and farming.

2 seperate difficulty sliders is pretty ridiculous. I'll have to decide whether or not to turn that up or rush to Inferno.

Yeah, I can why everyone is just rushing through to Inferno to do co-op and farming.

2 seperate difficulty sliders is pretty ridiculous. I'll have to decide whether or not to turn that up or rush to Inferno.

Why would you not turn it up if you find it too easy? There's no point rushing to Inferno, it's just more Diablo 3, now with a different leveling system that doesn't give you new abilities/runes.

Play whatever way is fun.

Polygon gave it a 9.5. Who knows, might actually be that great. .

Yeah, its getting great reviews everywhere. The one exception I saw, on the Escapist (no link, they shouldn't get the page hits) was one of most poorly-written reviews I've ever seen that I think was done just to get attention. Of course, there has been disconnect between reviewers and players before (legitimate and otherwise).

I agree though that's its going to need great reviews. Considering how expensive it was to make, I don't see how pre-orders and first-week sales alone are going to be enough to make profit. I think its going to need a long, high tail. Of course, I could be wrong.

What's the over-under on whether reviewers receive death threats over bad review of GTAV?

Oh its absolutely going to happen. Probably within 30 minutes of any bad review posted.

Why would you not turn it up if you find it too easy? There's no point rushing to Inferno, it's just more Diablo 3, now with a different leveling system that doesn't give you new abilities/runes.

Yeah, if it's too easy, then I'll get bored long before getting to Inferno. I've been hearing good things about Master 1.

But just to be clear: will turning up the difficulty result in more XP or better gear drops? There's no point in turning it up just to have the game give me better shit to compensate. And, no, I can't just not use it.

I'm kind of conflicted about it. It will probably be good, but I'm not looking forward to it that much. I know I'm not going to get it too quickly because after SR4 and D3 I can't afford a third new-price game in a month, but that's fine. It'll give me plenty of time to find out from others if it continues all the bad trends from GTAIV.

Interesting. What do you think the 'bad trends' were? Most of the reviews have highlighted improvements like vehicle handling, combat, the fact people don't ring you up bugging you for dates any more and the fact you can now skip all missions if you fail them three times. And of course the game is much larger and has more diversity in terms of mission types, being able to select your role in the mission depending on character etc.

Also, the fact that there are three main characters and not one of them is female is disappointing enough; but Rockstar's response when the matter was brought up really put me off. Grantland had an article last week that pretty much sums up my views on the matter. Obviously not every game needs to have a female lead, but I think its important option to have when possible. And when a game has 3 leads instead of 1, its pretty ridiculous if none of them are.

I get what Rockstar are saying when they say they want to take the piss out of masculinity and traditional masculine roles (and the previous games have also done this). However, this is only if it's the real reason and not a smokescreen. I do think it's problematic that this is the seventh main game in the series (and, what, the 14th when you count all the spin-offs?) and we still haven't had a single female protagonist, even in a multi-character game. There are female criminals IRL (obviously), several Saint's Row games have playable female characters (for short periods, anyway) and, most damaging to Rockstar's claims, they've had some fairly well-developed and prominent non-player female characters (by GTA's somewhat narrow terms) in the past.

Oh its absolutely going to happen. Probably within 30 minutes of any bad review posted.

Already happened. Go check out the GameSpot review. The game got 9/10 but they docked it a point for the sexism in the game. The review was written by a woman. The comments are an absolute avalanche of misogynistic comments. It's really spectacularly depressing.

Interesting. What do you think the 'bad trends' were? Most of the reviews have highlighted improvements like vehicle handling, combat, the fact people don't ring you up bugging you for dates any more and the fact you can now skip all missions if you fail them three times. And of course the game is much larger and has more diversity in terms of mission types, being able to select your role in the mission depending on character etc.

Stuff like the phone calls, the lack of entertaining diversions, and subpar shooting mechanics. Too often GTA IV felt like a chore to play, not a game. If the reviews are saying that's been done away with (I haven't been reading them yet), then that's great.

Although being able to skip missions you fail three times seems like a really bad idea. I hope thats something you can disable.

I get what Rockstar are saying when they say they want to take the piss out of masculinity and traditional masculine roles (and the previous games have also done this). However, this is only if it's the real reason and not a smokescreen. I do think it's problematic that this is the seventh main game in the series (and, what, the 14th when you count all the spin-offs?) and we still haven't had a single female protagonist, even in a multi-character game. There are female criminals IRL (obviously), several Saint's Row games have playable female characters (for short periods, anyway) and, most damaging to Rockstar's claims, they've had some fairly well-developed and prominent non-player female characters (by GTA's somewhat narrow terms) in the past.

Actually, in Saints Row 2, 3, and 4 you can just straight up make your character female right at the start of the game (and in 3 and 4 you can switch between genders at will at the plastic surgeon), and the only difference is that some of the random banter varies (not just between gender though, but also between all the different voices). The game doesn't lose anything by it, and goes a long way towards allowing half the population to better identify with the character.

And even if Rockstar's reason is their real reason, are they saying they can't tell that story with two male leads and one female one? Surely there's a facet of that story that could deal with a women either always trying to fit into that hyper-masculinity or being repulsed by it? And that sentence took me three seconds to think up, Rockstar had years to get something better.

Already happened. Go check out the GameSpot review. The game got 9/10 but they docked it a point for the sexism in the game. The review was written by a woman. The comments are an absolute avalanche of misogynistic comments. It's really spectacularly depressing.

Its stuff like this that really depresses me that I share a hobby with people like that.

Yeah, if it's too easy, then I'll get bored long before getting to Inferno. I've been hearing good things about Master 1.

But just to be clear: will turning up the difficulty result in more XP or better gear drops? There's no point in turning it up just to have the game give me better shit to compensate. And, no, I can't just not use it.

Yup. It ups Monster HP and Damage, but also XP, Item and Gold gain.

Yup. It ups Monster HP and Damage, but also XP, Item and Gold gain.

I thought it only upped the rewards on Inferno? Then again, the descriptive text is pretty confusing, at least on consoles.

Right on queue: IGN gives GTA V a 10 haha. http://au.ign.com/ar...t-auto-v-review

These are the guys that gave Metro: Last Light 7.7.....

You say that like 7.7 is a bad score. That's about what I'd rate Last Light anyway, and I enjoyed it.

Why does everyone seem to think that anything below a 9 means a game is shit these days?

I thought it only upped the rewards on Inferno? Then again, the descriptive text is pretty confusing, at least on consoles.

AFAIK console is exactly like PC in that it works on any difficulty level.

You say that like 7.7 is a bad score. That's about what I'd rate Last Light anyway, and I enjoyed it.

Why does everyone seem to think that anything below a 9 means a game is shit these days?

7.7 is bad score for Metro: Last Light when your scale is GTA is a 10. That doesn't follow at all when you compare the 2 games.

7.7 is bad score for Metro: Last Light when your scale is GTA is a 10. That doesn't follow at all when you compare the 2 games.

You haven't played GTA5, how can you even make the comparison to begin with?

Besides, subjectivity and all that. Some people are going to like GTA and not like Metro, that's the way this works. That particular reviewer doesn't share the same taste as you is all this means. Not that he or she's an idiot or that they have no credibility.

ETA: Not that I agree with IGN's review necessarily. I haven't played the game either so I can't know what I think of it yet, but I highly doubt it's flawless in every way. Which is what a 10/10 is supposed to indicate. Not that anyone actually interprets it that way anymore. These days the scale seems to be 10 - Great, 9 - Good, 8 - OK, 7 or below - Fucking terrible.

I did actually say GTA, not GTA V because I believe IGN also gave GTA IV a 10 and I have plenty of experience with that game.

Of course there's subjectivity but I'm seeing the general trend of "oo a massive budget release better give it a ridiculously high score". I agree with you about the scale thing, like it's fine to give Metro: Last Light a 7.7, except when you're giving games like GTA and CoD 9.5s and 10s because that would suggest you go very easy on games you review. Even though it's subjective I'd say to an extent when you look objectively at aspects of Metro: Last Light (graphical fidelity, gun sounds, enemy AI, monster models etc etc) there's no way it's a 7.7 when GTA and CoD are a 10.

Reviewers hand out 10s like candy on Halloween these days. Perfect scores don't even mean anything anymore. I can't think of a single game in history I'd give a 10/10 to. Even my favorites of all time, every game has its flaws.

Archived