Sleepy Hollow

Myrddin

So will we see Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, and John Henry make appearances?

Also, I think it's interesting that Ichabod is actually kind of a blend of two Washington Irving characters Ichabod, of course, but he's also kind of a Rip Van Winkle.

Are there any American legends featuring an Abigail Mills that the female lead would be a reincarnation of? I checked wikipedia for an Abigail Mills in the Salem witch trials; there were two Abigails, but no Mills.

She's a bit of the modern-day version of Katrina Van Tassel's mom. I picked up on that right off when they told her backstory. Katrina was the woman in the story whom Ichabod was in love with. She's in the show too. Katrina's mother met the headless horsemen when she was walking through the woods with her sister as a child. They're sharing out parts of her story.

So will we see Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, and John Henry make appearances?

That would be refreshing, rather than yet another incoherent retread of cod-christian mythology. Unfortunately, they seem pretty fond of their book of Revelations right off the bat.

That would be refreshing, rather than yet another incoherent retread of cod-christian mythology. Unfortunately, they seem pretty fond of their book of Revelations right off the bat.

From what I've seen of the solicits, I don't think they are going to go down the Time of Judgement route. At least not yet.

Not to mention Revelations [Revelation] is ultimately about God's triumph, not humans battling Evil. I thought the point was to kneel before Zod God not take up arms?

eta: removing the plural from Revelations.

Just a warning, because it only bothers me in as much as any misnomer does that I see repeated, but some people it drives them nails on a chalkboard crazy:

It's Revelation not Revelations when talking about the biblical book. They even said it wrong in the show.

Just a warning, because it only bothers me in as much as any misnomer does that I see repeated, but some people it drives them nails on a chalkboard crazy:

It's Revelation not Revelations when talking about the biblical book. They even said it wrong in the show.

Ah, gotcha. I was just thinking I'd heard it said "Revelations".

Thanks for the info!

I avoid "cop" shows like the plague but this one pulled me in...maybe because of a little Carnivale nostolgia for Clancy Brown...glad he was a good guy for a change. Pilot was good, held my interest, want to see more. First season should be interesting, beyond that it may get Buffylike.

Clancy Brown is awesome.

And dammit, I'm still pissed at HBO for cancelling Carnivale. Shit, shit, double shit.

I avoid "cop" shows like the plague but this one pulled me in...maybe because of a little Carnivale nostolgia for Clancy Brown...glad he was a good guy for a change. Pilot was good, held my interest, want to see more. First season should be interesting, beyond that it may get Buffylike.

If you like this show then you should also watch Grimm which is another "cop" show mixed in with fantasy from German folklore.

I watched the pilot during my lunch break today, it sure was dumb. But in a really fun way. The show clearly didn't take itself seriously, but was still competently made. It had some moments that I actually laughed at (including the headless horseman deciding that an assault weapon was the way to go) and one legitimately scary moment (the demon in the mirror), so that's enough for me. I'll keep watching for now.

So there is a 7 year countdown to the apocalypse in 2020. I guess that's one way for the producers to encourage to network to keep the series for a full 7 seasons.

That was another part I laughed at.

When I saw the trailers for this a few months ago, I was all "HAHAHAHA! Only on Fox..." And now I'm totally hooked. Go figure.

I watched the first episode over the weekend and I thought it was great. Really fun and over the top. I'm excited to see where they go from here.

Yup. It's over the top, doesn't take itself too seriously, and I love it to pieces. A lot of fun.

Abbie and Ichabod's banter is also giving me Mulder/Scully vibes, which is all to the good.

I was thinking the boring nonsense was taking over the interesting nonsense, once they stopped talking politics (yay politics!) but then the last scene kind of made up for it with the Sarah Conner, er, homage. Back to the good nonsense!

I was much less enthralled with this new episode, but I'm still on board.

I had the same reaction. It took too long between beats, and the moments in between weren't that engaging.

For me the show is sliding closer to Grimm than X-Files. (Grimm bores me, when the subject matter is right up my alley). I hope it pulls out a better balance between police procedural versus over arcing story.

Same here. I was really into Grimm when it started and it lost me pretty quickly. In fact, my brother and I have similar tastes and I told him to watch Sleepy Hollow -he immediately asked me to compare it to Grimm. I don't think I sold him on it because I wasn't able to explain why I thought this would turn out better. (which I'm not convinced it will be, but want it to be)

Archived