Sleepy Hollow

Myrddin

I'm hoping that was just a bad episode - I don't mind silly, over the top, ridiculous storytelling, what I mind is boring, lazy, mechanical storytelling. Convenient secret tunnels filled with convenient books and convenient gunpowder. No cookie!

I'm hoping that was just a bad episode - I don't mind silly, over the top, ridiculous storytelling, what I mind is boring, lazy, mechanical storytelling. Convenient secret tunnels filled with convenient books and convenient gunpowder. No cookie!

Exactly.

My wife stepped away to do something and when she returned 10 minutes later, I was able to catch her up in one sentence. "Someone took the sheriff's files, but Crane knows of a sekrit passage to get them back."

Extremely efficient, except the bit where they stuck it in some kind of disused and forgotten, yet extremely historic, Indiana Jones clutter room and covered it with a sheet in lieu of anyone actually paying any attention to the dead detective's secret files. Eh, public employees, you know?

Shows my limited knowledge in these things, I was wondering why Pestilence wasn't there and Conquest was.

Technically they could've gone with nearly anything, Death is the only named horseman. The other three are just riders with a white horse, a red horse, and the black horse, and carrying various symbolic things. Its generally understand that the red means blood, and hence that rider is War (although technically he might just be Civil War specifically, and there are other ways you could interpret it), and the black rider is Famine due to symbolism!, but things are confusing regarding the rider of the white horse. He could be Conquest, Anti-Christ, or Satan or be Victory, Christ, or the Holy Spirit, or maybe something else entirely (the video game Darksiders went with Strife). Its not clear when he started also sometimes being known as Pestilence instead, but my guess would be after the black plague.

Fez,

Interesting to know. Thanks!

ETA:

Maybe when the phase "Pestilence, Famine, and Death" was coined it probably wasn't originally associated with the 4 horsemen, but since then and because the one rider is Death they did become associated.

I always thought Pestilence made more sense than Conquest, whose purview would fall under War.

Decent episode. The tunnel thing was a bit weird and the end game with witch a bit weak but still managed to progress things further.

Glad to see Cho and Brown are still around.

Glad to see Cho and Brown are still around.

Yeah, I was mildly surprised by that. I presume that they aren't going to be series regulars (at least, not Cho; Brown might have enough time in his schedule), but its cool that they weren't just one-offs.

As for the episode (which, like the pilot, I watched during a lunch break), yeah, it wasn't as fun. I'm hoping it was just a bad episode and not representative of where the show is going though. And it still had some fun parts (arguing over the sales tax) and suitably creepy shots (John Cho in the morgue; and every mirror shot of the demon), so I'm not leaving it yet.

It seems that they're going for the interplay between the cop and civilian that I've seen in some of the episodes of Castle that I've seen.

It's not even like someone took the files, they just...filed them. That whole entire plot was that apparently the police department doesn't have a key anywhere in the building to their own archives across the street.

She didn't have authorization and the archives were under guard. But yes, the tunnel was waaay convenient. Especially considering how Crane could know the location based off the layout of modern buildings.

There needs to be some significant means for them to interact with the antagonists besides finding things. Otherwise they'll have to keep finding convenient mechanisms to enable the storyline.

I love the postit note instructions on everything for Crane. That's a lot of work and an extremely thoughtful thing to do.

Also Crane seems to be channelling some level of Sherlock ability/personality.

I won't lie I am loving this so far.

There needs to be some significant means for them to interact with the antagonists besides finding things. Otherwise they'll have to keep finding convenient mechanisms to enable the storyline.

Why I was sad they got rid of the witch in this episode. I feel like having a few recurring villains is good. They don't have to all last the whole season but it makes for more compelling television. Right now we just have John Cho's character and he's rather sympathetic.

Well, there's the actual demon in the mirror but hard to think of it as a character.

i dont get why the witch came back right now. did i miss a reason why she would come back at this precise moment. seems like she could have made her move anytime in the past 200 years that wasnt when the one guy that could stop her was there

i dont get why the witch came back right now. did i miss a reason why she would come back at this precise moment. seems like she could have made her move anytime in the past 200 years that wasnt when the one guy that could stop her was there

The mirror demon instructed Cho on how to resurrect her.

Archived