Breaking Bad's Final Season: Look upon my works ye mighty and despair

Independent George

It got swallowed by the other thread winding down after 400 entries, so I'm reposting here:

I'm strangely unmoved when it comes to Marie, Jesse, and even Hank. Bed, made, lie. Or, as Omar from The Wire so eloquently put it, "You come at the king, you best not miss."

I wish there had been a little more of a fuck given with Gomie's death. It was just sort of...Gomie's dead. Not even really addressed for such a fan favorite.

Hank...while I like him as a person and a character, but I've always disliked his approach to police work. He exemplifies dick police officer.

I feel bad for Marie I guess...there wasn't really a moment there where you really felt how awful it was for her. She wasn't confronted with his dead body. It'll be terrible for her if she never gets to put Hank to rest or anything...but I'm not feeling as bad for her as I should. I've always enjoyed Marie, too, so its strange.

Eh, I tend to think the Nazi's aren't going to be going after Walt's family. Oddly, I kind of think the uncle meant it when he said 'we're square'. Not saying that they've been shown to been a model of honor among thieves, but they know they've fucked him over and that he's smart. Todd respects him a lot. I won't count out Lydia, however, and I'm not sure what other factors I've forgotten about. I just don't think that if Walt is coming back to save his family (along with Jesse) that it will be an explicit threat directed at luring Walt out.

I'm pretty positive that Lydia will send someone after the White family. Given Skyler's (wo)manhandling of her at the car wash at the beginning of this half season, and Lydia's weaselly-trapped mouse kill them all mentality, she will send SOMEONE after them. Most likely Todd. Since Todd lurves Lydia.

I completely admit I may be wrong. But that's how I see it...until Vince shatters my world view again.

Posting for a friend:

My thoughts:

I loved the execution. It was heart wrenching and so true to Hank's character. There was some major symbolism in the burial:

Walt literally dug Hank's grave.

Hank's body replaces the money.

The hole was not dug for Hank and Gomez. It was dug for the money. They were just thrown in since it was already there. Even less effort than the acid barrels. I couldn't see a more disrespectful way to dispose of Hank.

When Walt got the barrel, I knew he would be calling the vacuum guy. But that made it no less amazing. I love how everyone assumed he killed Hank. With Walt, there was justifications within most of his evil, but nobody saw those (except for Jesse for a time) and instead saw a plain drug lord and murderer. His "goobye" to Skyler was great. It was Walt's way of leaving and giving them the hatred for him, rather than their own regrets and mistakes. His family stays clean, out of jail, because they are now all working against Walt. It was great.

Cranston once again showed his amazing acting, displaying both anger and sorrow in so many of his moments, like with telling Jesse about Jane or when being accused of murdering Hank.

The scene of Jesse waking up was so disturbing. Props to the prosthetic and makeup crew. Jesse looked horrifying. The whole time, I felt very disturbed and the scene played out like we all feared but worse. Not only have they tortured him, but then he is chained (just like a dog!), and they leave the picture of Andrea and Brock. Everything was just horrifying.

So the future:

The Neo-Nazis are sure to find out that Skyler has been talking to the police. Maybe from Lydia? With Walt gone, she is a loose end. Walt's family is murdered and he sees/hears about the real blue coming back. Walt knows they killed his family, and that they are using Jesse as a slave-cook. He comes back with ricin for Lydia and a machine gun for the gang.

Hank...while I like him as a person and a character, but I've always disliked his approach to police work. He exemplifies dick police officer.

Well, just to point out that Hank DID take the honorable way out after he attacked Pinkman - he said he did it and that he would live with the consequences without putting up a fight (As most police officers do).

I was mentioning in the other thread that Hank's final moments seemed very reminiscent of Stringer Bell.

How do you figure? Stringer Bell went out like a Punk begging until the last moment. Hank "took it like a man".

Yup. Cut off midsentence, too: "Get on with it, motherf--"/"Do what you gotta d--" (or however Hank put it).

I can see that I guess. But right before Stringer was crying about "I guess there aint no changing your minds"

Actually even that is kinda similar ha

How do you figure? Stringer Bell went out like a Punk begging until the last moment. Hank "took it like a man".

I can see that I guess. But right before Stringer was crying about "I guess there aint no changing your minds"

True the nature of it was completely different. (Bell actually pleaded like I imagine Walter would.)

But I mean the way they get cut off.

"Get on with it mother f--"

"Do it if you're gonna d--"

Yeah, Hank didn't try and beg or plead. In that case (Wire S5 spoiler below)

He went out more like Snoop.

Archived