Jon accepting his Targaryen background.

Jon's Queen Consort

OP, that's exactly what I've always thought would happen, if it happened. If Jon sits any throne, it'll be because he's asked to, not because he sought it. It drives me a little crazy when people say that Jon will never sit any throne because he won't want to be king, or won't take something over his siblings, and it's like -- DUH. He didn't want to be LC of the NW either. He'll take on the mantle of leadership if he's asked to, whatever scenario that might be, not because he wants the power or because he's going to try and take anything from his siblings. He's like Ned in that way. He'll be a leader if it's his responsibility, but he won't actively seek it out for himself.

It has nothing to do with what Jon wants but what is needed of him, so if the realm needs him to sit a throne, then he will do it. If it doesn't, he won't. Simple as that.

I have seen lately many people who tell that Jon will make his move to claim the throne or his birthright based on the fact that his birthfather is Rhaegar but I disagree. I believe that others will try to put Jon on the throne once his true identity become a common knowledge (something like Wyman tries to do with Rickon)but Jon will never actively try to do it by himself because as he said What do you think?

I believe some people have said this quote is not actually honoring Eddard, but Rhaegar. It means that he's not going to change who he is (Targaryen) even though he thinks it's his Stark side he's protecting. And even if this is true, he technically is a Stark given that R+L = J is actually true.

It will be interesting to see how this changes his central relationship perspective; with his Uncle Ned.

Will he admire/love/feel beholden to him more for the sacrifices he made on his behalf...with his reputation/honor, with his wife, probably with some other life decisions...or will he resent him for his second class status to be kept a secret?

If the former, which I think more likely, I think that will underline his desire to see his story play out in Ned's land, be that WF or the Wall. If the latter, I could see him go south in search of the father who sacrificed even more so he could come to pass.

He's going to be horrified. He thinks his father is Ned Stark, generally honorable guy. If he finds out his father was really Rhaegar, who abandoned his wife and children to run off with a woman who was betrothed to someone else, and that his mother was Lyanna, who broke a betrothal and shattered a kingdom, he's going to be very ashamed.

It will be even worse if it turns out there was some kind of polygamous "marriage" ceremony. Polygamy is taboo in Westeros -- he'd probably rather be the bastard son of Ned and a prostitute than the product of some unnatural polygamous union.

If Jon sits the throne, it will be because of his Targaryen heritage plus how he distinguishes himself in the battle vs the Others. I don't think he will ever be a Stark by name (which, by the way, isn't him shunning the Starks, it is because it is not his right to bear the name). But he will be a Stark by practice and spirit.

Whether he takes the Targaryen name? Not sure. But if has to to gather forces to fight the Others, I can see it.

He's going to be horrified. He thinks his father is Ned Stark, generally honorable guy. If he finds out his father was really Rhaegar, who abandoned his wife and children to run off with a woman who was betrothed to someone else, and that his mother was Lyanna, who broke a betrothal and shattered a kingdom, he's going to be very ashamed.

Why would he be horrified?

Regardless of who his bio-dad is, Ned Stark is still his father. I think he will love Ned even more because of the sacrifices he made to keep him safe.

Shocked yes, horrified I don't think so. Like Foothill above me said, he will love and respect Ned even more and his undying love for House Stark will get intensified because of Lyanna. His Targ blood will surely have complications, especially with Dany, but only as far as blood is concerned and not the actual Targaryen name. Remember, if R+L were not married, Jon's still a bastard.

or leave the Night's Watch for any reason.

Seriously doubt that Jon is going to be gung-ho for the Watch after..you know..being stabbed? He may still associate himself with the Night's Watch, but i dont think he will be a real Black Brother again after "waking". Getting Caesared is gonna leave a mark. lol

I think Jon might have a bit of a Heroic BSOD when he finds out his parentage. Hes gonna mull that shit over. This is Jon we're talking about, so hes going to contemplate every angle of this business, why it happened, Ned's reasoning, Rhaegar's reasoning, Lyanna's fate, all of it. If he gets an info dump from Howland or someone about the R+L ordeal, that may help him figure out how to move forward. I can see Jon saying something like "Well...im still a bastard. No matter how you cut the mustard, im still a bastard..." Therefore he will not move to make a claim on the Iron Throne, for he will feel he has no right to it. Even if he isnt really a bastard, he probably will still believe he has no claim if he learns of Aegon's running around. (and believes him to be real)

One thing im certain of, like absolutely certain, is that after Jon mulls it all over, he will finally still accept Ned as his "father".

He'll be like, "I never knew Rhaegar. He wasnt the one who raised me and placed me in his household. That was Lord Eddard. My mother died for my sake and begged Ned to take me in. Ned kept his promise. I am that promise. Perhaps i may be a "prince" who was promised, but Lord Eddard is my father. Robb, Bran, and little Rickon are still my brothers. Sansa and Arya are still my sisters. They are the Starks of Winterfell. Nothing is going to change that."

Man i really hope he does something like that. Ill fucking cry my eyes out.

I think Jon will take up the crown, precisely because he's Ned's son in every way that counts. And the Ned never shied away from his duty, even though he did not always like it.

When the dust settles, Jon will be seen as the best candidate to sit on the IT. He is the trueborn son of the beloved prince Rhaegar, he was raised by the most honorable Lord in the 7 Kingdoms, he is competent (Stannis nod of approval), he looks like a warrior, he's single (the chances are quite high that we'll see a political match between Jon and Dany) and unlike many others he will have less blood on his hands (e.g. many southron Lords will never be comfortable with the idea of Stannis as a King, because he is known to hold grudges).

How long he'll be King of the 7 Kingdoms is a different matter of course, I hope he'll life and start a dynasty but I could almost as easily see him becoming King and then die to save the world.

I also think that Jon will never seek a throne so much as he'll be called on to take it. I just happen to think the throne in question is Robb's, and not the Iron Throne, which I believe will cease to exist as an institution before this is over.

About Jon and the Watch: His main goal is to fight the Others and protect as many people as he can. He will remain focused on the Watch for as long as it is the best vehicle for him to do those things. But if he gets the sense that the Watch has lost its way (which I think is likely given what's gone down), then he won't hesitate to either leave it or (my opinion -- Lightbringer alert) reform it so that it does what it was supposed to do. And I think that's the takeaway from the Watch plot and why the whining about "oathbreaking" misses the point: When an institution that is meant to protect people stops doing that, it also stops being worthy of a person's oath.

The significance of Jon's parents will be more about Jon's role in battle against the Others (and maybe Dany?) than about anything as trivial as ascending to the IT. In fact, I'll be surprised if the IT - and KL for that matter - will still be standing by the time Jon finds out who his dad really is.

Archived