Jon accepting his Targaryen background.

Jon's Queen Consort

Doesn't mean he needs to go around telling people. I honestly don't see why Jon shouldn't keep his mouth shut; there's already two Targs and a dozen contenders for the IT

As the op said Jon will not say nothing and will not actively try to claim his birthright. Others will do it for him.

I think Jon will accept and find peace knowing his true parentage, but he will take the name of House Stark of Winterfell with the Dire Wolf Sigil as King of The North for duty. As a fan boy, I would be ecstatic if he took Jon Targaryen, First of his name of House Targaryen, king of The Andals and The First Men, Protector of The Realm, but I'm totally okay with him being Jon Stark, First of his name of House Stark, King of The North and Beyond The Wall.

:agree: I know that some people believe that Jon has Rhaegar's temperament, but to me Jon has shown that he is a Stark through and through. I know this is a somewhat simplistic line of thought, but the Starks belong in the North. :D

Now, for a more rational basis for my opinion, we see that Jon's sense of duty and honor has been shaped by male role models such as Ned, Maester Aemon, Lord Mormont and Quorin Halfhand. I think each one of these men, were they in Jon's situation, would not have accepted the IT because they would have believed that their duties lay elsewhere. Given the influence these men on Jon's development, I believe he will ultimately come to the same conclusion.

I concur. :cheers:

Everything that happens in ASoIaF seems to happen for a reason.

If we were to accept for one minute that Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, then what is the point of this story arc, if his only purpose is to remain at the Wall until his dying days or sacrifice himself by defeating the Others? He doesn't need to be the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna for any of those two scenarios to occur, yet I surmise that his heritage must have some relevance to his destiny and ultimately, the Iron Throne.

We know that he recognises himself as a Stark and will always remember Ned but I also recall his reaction when he realised what sort of a place the Night's Watch really was. He felt angry, bitter, betrayed and hurt that he had been misled into believing that the NW was an illustrious organisation and that he was destined for great things when in reality it was an organisation full of criminals and social outcasts - and he was angry with Ned for this.

I don't know, I might be barking up the wrong tree here and I will be the first to hold my hands up to admit that I was wrong if this turns out to be the case but I just think that when he finds out his true heritage, finds out that he was actually loved and wanted, his views on his destiny might change, although I agree with most people here who say that Jon would sooner accept the iron throne rather than pursue it.

• 1 month later...

OK. Look here's how I see it going down.

1. Jon finds out

2. He refuses to believe it at first and is to busy with the white walker business to properly consider it, but it slowly starts to play with his mind.

3. Eventually, someone influential will find out and quietly offer him the throne for peace. Jon will refuse for honor sake

He's not going to completely disown his Targaryen parentage. He will see himself as a Stark and will concentrate more on his mother, but he'll be conflicted on Rhaegar

1. Jon learns of his heritage possibly from BR and Bran

2. He denies it and is extremely conflicted

3. Robb's will becomes known, but with the reveal of Rickon, Jon will be even more conflicted. They will possibly settle on Jon being Rickons regent until he comes of age

4. Once he becomes KRITN he will see how much easier its been to prepare for the Others and will realize if he accepts his heritage an uses to to claim the IT for himself he could unite Westeros and use them to fight the others.

5. He will claim the IT for his DUTY to protect the realm. What Qhorin and Mormont taught him is that their DUTY comes before their personal honor. So Jon will sacrifice his honor to do his duty.

4. Once he becomes KRITN he will see how much easier its been to prepare for the Others and will realize if he accepts his heritage an uses to to claim the IT for himself he could unite Westeros and use them to fight the others.

5. He will claim the IT for his DUTY to protect the realm. What Qhorin and Mormont taught him is that their DUTY comes before their personal honor. So Jon will sacrifice his honor to do his duty.

I don't understand no4 but I agree that he will have to take the throne because it's his duty not because he will claim it.

We've seen that Jon loves his "father" and his siblings, and that being the son of Ned Stark is an important part of his identity.

But we've also seen that he's ambitious, resents being a bastard and does not like being deceived. For example, when he realizes that the Night's Watch is a band of rapists and thieves, he feels anger towards Ned for leading him to believe otherwise. How might he react when he realizes just how much else has been kept from him by the man he trusted and respected most?

In other words, his reaction to R + L = J could go in one of a number of directions, or in several directions at once. That's the beauty of it. There's multiple dimensions to Jon's character, and therefore the reaction is unpredictable and the inner turmoil he experiences will be interesting to observe.

I don't understand no4 but I agree that he will have to take the throne because it's his duty not because he will claim it.

Throughout ADWD as LC he has been struggling to prepare. He has little to no food, Ramsay's actions give Jon troubles, nights watchmen are little more than thugs, and unbeknownst to Jon, people have been plotting against him. When he becomes King Regent in the North, he will have command over the North's treasury, food stores, supplies, and soldiers. Things he has never had before.

Throughout ADWD as LC he has been struggling to prepare. He has little to no food, Ramsay's actions give Jon troubles, nights watchmen are little more than thugs, and unbeknownst to Jon, people have been plotting against him. When he becomes King Regent in the North, he will have command over the North's treasury, food stores, supplies, and soldiers. Things he has never had before.

I see. The problem is that imho he will be crowned King after LN2.0.

he'll be conflicted on Rhaegar

1. Jon learns of his heritage possibly from BR and Bran

2. He denies it and is extremely conflicted

3. Robb's will becomes known, but with the reveal of Rickon, Jon will be even more conflicted. They will possibly settle on Jon being Rickons regent until he comes of age

I agree with all of this - I think there have been hints that he might be extremely conflicted when he finds out about his true heritage. Hasn't an actor (the one who plays Theon Greyjoy I think?) said that after a conversation with Martin alluded to some Darth Vader scenario when he discovers who his father was? And we know that Bran was previously indoctrinated with anti-Rhaegar propaganda as was hinted at when he visited the crypts of Winterfell even though there is no evidence that Ned either shared his views or encouraged them. I think Jon will be conflicted too but might be more receptive to the idea of Rhaegar as his father when the full extent of his relationship with Lyanna and the circumstances of Jon's birth emerges.

I think when/if Jon "awakes" from his "death", he will be a man. The boy will be killed. I think we will see a significant personality shift. He will accept, that he is the trueborn ruler of all the Seven Kingdoms. He will accept and use his birthright to rally the realms of men against the coming Winter. Every man would accept being THE KING. And Jon is no different. GRRM is about realism, and he won't make Jon some weirdo that would reject having the power and support to save humanity and rule.

I think when/if Jon "awakes" from his "death", he will be a man. The boy will be killed. I think we will see a significant personality shift. He will accept, that he is the trueborn ruler of all the Seven Kingdoms. He will accept and use his birthright to rally the realms of men against the coming Winter. Every man would accept being THE KING. And Jon is no different. GRRM is about realism, and he won't make Jon some weirdo that would reject having the power and support to save humanity and rule.

If there's any shred of realism, his claim would fail utterly.

And I am at a loss how another claimant to the throne and another side in the civil war helps in the fight against the Others. You guys make it sound as if Jon would win the throne easily in two weeks and unite the realm without any significant losses, but that's impossible.

I refuse to believe that Jon will attempt to sit the throne. His story is in the North, and Jon embodies the North(south of the wall) more than any other Stark. I believe that his parentage will give him a sense of peace, and allow him to realize that he was not conceived in disgrace, nor was he just an accidental bastard child. Lord Commander of a re-organized Night's Watch, or being crowned the King in the North would be acceptable paths for Jon.

I agree. I see Jon always accepting Ned as his father and wanting to do right by his siblings. He would be a great King Of the North and do right by all. He would also have peace in knowing who his parents are.

And I am at a loss how another claimant to the throne and another side in the civil war helps in the fight against the Others. You guys make it sound as if Jon would win the throne easily in two weeks and unite the realm without any significant losses, but that's impossible.

if you subscribe to Fire Eater's Rundown then Dany will conquer it but step down when Jon lays claim after he proves he is legit to her. Once she thinks he is legit most of the other lords will fall into line.

I doubt it will happen exactly as his theory suggest by it will be similar IMO.

I actually agree, that were he to fail, that would be realistic.

But if he doesn't actually make his rightful claim to the throne, that would be the most unrealistic moment in the entire series, even more unrealistic than magic or dragons, because at least those have similarities to technology and dinosaurs, respectively. Every man, finding out he is the one true king, regardless of upbringing would want his throne.

Archived