GOODKIND IV

Werthead

Okeedokee, Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day time!

At this point in our story, Richard has been the prisoner of the Sisters of the Light for a while, and his only solace is his pet Gar, Gratch. But Gratch has been spotted by one of the novices there, so in order to save Gratch's life, Richard must drive him away. I hope everybody has a box of tissues nearby, cuz this one is a real tear-jerker.

"Go away!" He threw his arms out and pointed again. "I want you to go away and never come back!" <how can you just leave me standing> Gratch tried to put his arms around Richard again. Richard pushed them away again. Gratch's ears lay down against his head.

"Grrratch luuug Raaach aaarg." <alone in a world that's so cold> Richard wanted more than anything to hold his friend and tell him that he loved him, too. But he couldn't. He had to make him go in order to save his life. <maybe I'm just too demanding>

"Well I don't love you! Go away and never come back!"

Gratch looked to the hill Pasha had run down. He looked back at Richard. his green eyes were filling with tears. <maybe I'm just like my father, too bold> He reached out for Richard.

Richard shoved him away. Gratch stood with his arms out. Richard remembered the first time he had held the furry beast. He had been so little then. He was so big now. But as he had grown, his friendship, and his love, had grown, too. <maybe I'm just like my mother>

He was Richard's only friend, and only Richard could save him. If Richard really loved him, he had to do this.

"Go away! I don't want you around anymore! I don't want you to ever come back! You're jsut a big dumb bag of fur! Go away! If you really love me, then you'll do as I ask, and go away!" <she's never satisfied>

Richard wanted to keep yelling, but the lump in his throat caught the words. He backed away. Gratch seemed to wither in the cool night air. His arms came out again with a pitiful, forlorn wail. He called with a plaintive, keening cry. <why do we scream at each other>

Richard took another step back. Gratch took a step toward him. Richard picked up a rock and heaved it at the gar. It bounced off his huge chest.

"Go away!" Richard cried. He threw another rock. "I don't want you around anymore! Go away! I don't ever want to see you again!"

Tears ran from the glowing green eyes, over the wrinkles of his cheeks. "Grrratch luuug Raaaach aaarg." <this is what it sounds like, when Gars cry>

"If you really love me then you will do this! Go!"

The gar looked again to the hill Pasha had run down, turned, and spread his wings. With a last look over his shoulder, he bounded into the air and flew off into the night.

When he could no longer see the dark shape against the stars, or hear the sweep of wings, Richard crumpled to the ground. His only friend was gone.

"I love you, too, Gratch."

He cried in racking sobs. "Dear spirits, why have you done this to me? He was all I had. I hate you. Every last one of you."

~Terry Goodkind, Stone of Tears

Later, Richard realizes that what he did to Gratch was exactly what Kahlan had done to him at the beginning of the book, and that she really does love him. Its very sweet, and Richard is happy again.

It puts the scene from AGoT where Arya drives off Nymeria in the shade doesn't it? GRRM must have been kicking himself that he did not make the Direwolves talk so he could include such moving dialogue to really punch home the emotion of the moment to the reader.

Having had so much fun reading the Robert Stanek forums, I decided to inspect Terry’s. Until recently, I was a bit surprised that people actually thought the “Goodkind is our Godâ€-forum was real – but that notion vanished once I had spent some time on the official one.

I would encourage everyone who have followed the Westeros Goodkind-threads to have a look here:

How has the SOT series changed or affected your life. Letters of insperation please - http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81

It certainly has changed my life – even though I have only read the quotes of the day. I’m sure many more of you have been affected, so why don’t you share your experiences?

From that same thread:

but it didn't help the damage to my brain

:rofl: Unintentional and out of context I know, but it still strikes me as hilarious.

"Go away!" He threw his arms out and pointed again. "I want you to go away and never come back!" Strange. I remember him saying the exact same thing to Kahlan Gratch tried to put his arms around Richard again. Richard pushed them away again. Gratch's ears lay down against his head.

"Grrratch luuug Raaach aaarg." Goodkind's spelling's even worse than I thought Richard wanted more than anything to hold his friend and tell him that he loved him, too. But he couldn't. He had to make him go in order to save his life. It was his thing, you understand.

"Well I don't love you! Go away and never come back!"

Gratch looked to the hill Pasha had run down. He looked back at Richard. his green eyes were filling with tears. He reached out for Richard.

Richard shoved him away. Gratch stood with his arms out. Richard remembered the first time he had held the furry beast. He had been so little then. He was so big now. Richard was bigger than most men But as he had grown, his friendship, and his love, had grown, too.Don't forget his objectivism

He was Richard's only friend, and only Richard could save him His only friend? I wonder why. If Richard really loved him, he had to do this.

"Go away! I don't want you around anymore! I don't want you to ever come back! You're jsut a big dumb bag of fur! Go away! If you really love me, then you'll do as I ask, and go away!"

Richard wanted to keep yelling he was getting angry now, but the lump in his throat caught the words. He backed away. Gratch seemed to wither in the cool night air. His arms came out again with a pitiful, forlorn wail. He called with a plaintive, keening cry.

Richard took another step back. Gratch took a step toward him. Richard picked up a rock and heaved it at the gar. It bounced off his huge chest.Oh. I thought he would have used the sledgehammer

"Go away!" Richard cried. He threw another rock. "I don't want you around anymore! Go away! I don't ever want to see you again!" How many times has he said this? I think the Gar's got the point.

Tears ran from the glowing green eyes, over the wrinkles of his cheeks. "Grrratch luuug Raaaach aaarg." Poor Gar. It can only make one sound.

"If you really love me then you will do this! Go!" You're talking to a gar. Not to Kahlan. So I'd expect he'd stay, just to torment you.

The gar looked again to the hill Pasha had run down, turned, and spread his wings. With a last look over his shoulder, he bounded into the air and flew off into the night.

When he could no longer see the dark shape against the stars, or hear the sweep of wings, Richard crumpled to the ground. His only friend was gone. If you kicked less children in the face and slaughtered less innocent peace protesters, perhaps you'd have more friends

"I love you, too, Gratch."I don't think he ever said he loved you. I think he just couldn't take being around you any more.

He cried in racking sobs. "Dear spirits, why have you done this to me? He was all I had. I hate you. Every last one of you." Terry reveals to us that the spirits are actually evil subjectivists who hate that anything good in the world exists

~Terry Goodkind, Stone of Tears

I would encourage everyone who have followed the Westeros Goodkind-threads to have a look here:

How has the SOT series changed or affected your life. Letters of insperation please - http://www.terrygoodkind.net/forums/showthread.php?t=81

:rofl:

There are some gems in there...

This saga is penetrated in my blood, it’s became part of me. The character are alive, and the opposition from the beauty of the virtues and the ugliness of the vices are so powerful that it’s result amazing.

To this I can only say, the saga pentrated me as well, and I'm still sore...

MountainGoat: Isn't Drawn Together a Comedy Central production, and not an MTV thing?

Erm, yes I think you are probably correct, but I watched it on MTV UK so they get the credit for it :D

Congratulations Elrostar on being the only person to ever mention my sig in a post :thumbsup: even if it was not to say it is funny and it is funny so there :P

The Mad Moose, no offense meant, but your comments on the quote almost sounded like a love song of some sorts. :rofl:

So by this time I'm laughing my head off. Great post. :D

What? You don't recognize the lyrics from "When doves cry" by Prince? For shame.

Look what I've done, I've brought down the entire mood of the board and made everybody cry. :(

eta: it's not my fault, really, it's TG's fault for writing "real human emotions" so well.

*laugh* It's almost Saturday in my side of the world.

It's a Friday, we need a light hearted child murder or slaughter of unarmed people heading into the weekend.

There are more scenes like that in SoT?

A friend of mine once complained that Goodkind had a 'rape scene' or some sexually graphic scene in every book.

I love how Goodkind has so little faith in his own ability to communicate that he has to lay things out for the reader like this:

Richard wanted more than anything to hold his friend and tell him that he loved him, too. But he couldn't. He had to make him go in order to save his life.

If Richard really loved him, he had to do this.

I mean, this is the kind of thing you expect Levar Burton to explain to little kids on Reading Rainbow.

Archived