GOODKIND IV

Werthead

The unspoken truth of the statue is that it was really describing an image of TG himself with Ayn Rand...

I think I'm going to be ill now. :(

I've now found myself saying "A chicken that is not a chicken" in converstaion ( :cry: ). the last time I did it resulted in a long TG bashing conversation... with some one who has never heard of this forum, GioG or even TG's interviews!

We are not alone!

I think it was Goodkinds way of saying she had really big tits. I wouldn't mind a TG speech about the nobility of tits.

"Tits are a genre that encompasses many things. I'm at one end of the spectrum. The tits I like are first of all melons, not golf balls, and that is deliberate. I'm really liking tits about a DD cup size. I believe that it's invalid and unethical to like tits for tits' sake, because tits for tits' sake is non-objective. If you have no hooters or winnebagos, then you have no tits as a base value. Tits for tits' sake is therefore pointless."

That surprises me. I heard that one of the reasons Robert Rankin dislikes Pratchett so much is that they once were at a dinner together and all Pratchett could talk about was how much money he was making and how rich he was... :o

Possibly an urban legend. There seem to be a lot of people (Rankin fans, mainly) who resent TP's much greater success than Rankin, although Rankin isn't exactly sleeping on park benches. Also their audiences are somewhat different (and Pratchett consciously tries not to be 'too British' in his writing, whilst Rankin is 100% British in his humour), as are their styles. Rankin doesn't like being compared to Terry Pratchett, but I doubt there's much pesonal dislike between the two of them.

GRRM's sales figures are in a state of flux at the moment due to the ongoing success of AFFC, it's recent debut in trade paperback and its forthcoming publication in mass-market paperback. However, the series' figures seem to be in the region of 3-4 million at present.

A source I've contacted has stated that Goodkind's French publishers publicly stated last year that his series has sold 11 million copies worldwide (trying to see if they have that somewhere verifiable online, so we can remove the false 50 million information from his Wikipedia entry), which is more in keeping with his profile. He's still a long way behind Pratchett and Jordan, and actually still behind Feist, Weis and Hickman if the info is correct, about the level of sales of the nove Dune by itself.

You know... I think Richard's super-human statues sound just as depressing as the Order's sub-human statues. I'd feel inferior because I don't have a perfect body. Does the nobility of the human form apply even if the human form has lovehandles? I feel I want to clarify that point before I commit to anything. ;)

Though the woman was clothed, there was no doubt as to her femininity. They both reflected a love of the human form as sunsuous, noble, and pure. The evil all around seemed as if it was recoiling in terror of that noble purity.

I’m just trying to figure out what the other status around it look like. I’m getting visions of the three eyed fish from The Simpson’s being placed all over the square.

The other vision I get reading this section is the overly heroic status of the old communist Soviet Union era. But that can’t be because Goodkind hates communism and all it represents.

You know what that reminds me of? The Physiognomy by Jeffrey Ford - at least, I wouldn't be surprised if Goodkind believes in the type of eugenics present in the Physiognomy (ie a belief in physical attributes determining a person's character). So Richard is "perfect" in body and "perfect" in mind. Though as we all know by now, to be perfect its expected that you have a low IQ and a seething hatred of everyone that disagrees with you and a credible threat of force to back up that hatred. Which means that not just is it acceptable to kick irritating 8 year old girls in the face, to slaughter innocent peace protesters etc, but it is expected of "perfect" people like Richard.

You know... I think Richard's super-human statues sound just as depressing as the Order's sub-human statues. I'd feel inferior because I don't have a perfect body.

I see. Instead, you want to lower the standards to the lowest common denominator, so that everyone can feel "above-average." But if the standard acceptable IQ is terminally retarded, what do people have to strive towards? Richard's building of the statue represents not a depressing measure of our inferiority, but an ideal that we can all realistically aspire to, an example of our potential for greatness. You only feel inferior because you don't want to do any work.

I find this quote about the statues as disturbing as the one when Richard kills the peace protestors and the other when he kicks that eight years old girl in the face.

I know that Terry Goodkind is trying to turn Richard into Michaelangelo but all he manages is to make me think about those "idealistic" statues that Adolf Hitler favoured over other supposedly degraded and decandent art. When Terry wants me to think about the David I can only think of some of those medical textbook statues representing the nazi aryan ideal.

GRRM's sales figures are in a state of flux at the moment due to the ongoing success of AFFC, it's recent debut in trade paperback and its forthcoming publication in mass-market paperback. However, the series' figures seem to be in the region of 3-4 million at present.

A source I've contacted has stated that Goodkind's French publishers publicly stated last year that his series has sold 11 million copies worldwide (trying to see if they have that somewhere verifiable online, so we can remove the false 50 million information from his Wikipedia entry), which is more in keeping with his profile. He's still a long way behind Pratchett and Jordan, and actually still behind Feist, Weis and Hickman if the info is correct, about the level of sales of the nove Dune by itself.

When comparing GRRM and TG, sales figures don't mean much. I suspect that all the books GRRM has sold are to actual fans of the series (or people reading the books for the first time of course) whereas I know people who buy TG's books just to laugh at them. Personally, I disapprove of this. I hate life so much that the celebration of human life found in SoT causes me intense pain. Or maybe it's just that I'm laughing so hard that it hurts.

The unspoken truth of the statue is that it was really describing an image of TG himself with Ayn Rand...

....hmmm is it possible Richard is TG himself and Kahlan is Ayn Rand? XD

Nicci collapsed to the floor in tears, in abject shame, in horror, in revulsion, in sudden blinding comprehension....

Victor and Ishaq were on their knees, weeping.

Nicci wept. Victor and Ishaq wept.

Jesus wept, it's just a statue....

Though the woman was clothed, there was no doubt as to her femininity

Obviously these people haven't seen women clothed before. XD Do their women go about naked? :o

I've now found myself saying "A chicken that is not a chicken" in converstaion ( :cry: ). the last time I did it resulted in a long TG bashing conversation... with some one who has never heard of this forum, GioG or even TG's interviews!

We are not alone!

God, I know what you mean. It's even worse for me. Lately, I find myself using the phrase for other objects. For instance, the other day, on being forced to eat a hot dog without mustard, I found myself bitterly referring to it as a hot dog that was not a hot dog. :unsure:

"Happiness, joy, accomplishment, achievement...are not finite commodities to be divided up. Is a child's laughter to be divided up and allotted? No! Simply make more laughter!"

Didn't a child earn a boot to the face the last time they laughed in front of Richard?

The out of place philosophical inserts may be the funniest of all, outside of evil chickens. I think Goodkind will be hard pressed to top the "armed only with their hatred for moral clarity" line, but it looks like he's going to keep trying.

Her eyes fell on the name carved in the stone base.

LIFE

Nicci collapsed to the floor in tears, in abject shame, in horror, in revulsion, in sudden blinding comprehension.

It's a little known fact that richard planned to carve the Universe and Everything next. It's even less known that while the objectivist representation of life is a man and a woman, the representation of the universe always includes a goat.

The man's body displayed a proud masculinity. Though the woman was clothed, there was no doubt as to her femininity. They both reflected a love of the human form as sunsuous, noble, and pure.
So, it's implied the man is naked and has woody, right?

The evil all around seemed as if it was recoiling in terror of that noble purity.
Ok, then chickens can't approach it, but would it work for pigeons?

this was life as it should be lived--proud, reasoned, and a slave to no other man. This was the rightful exaltation of the individual, the nobility of the human spirit.
Right. Immobile, powerless, and about to be destroyed by its own creator moments after coming into existence, that's true nobility.

Now that I think about it, couldn't these statues be like chimes, statues that were no statues, that were not good, but good manifest? That could explain the fist to the heart and lightning strikes.

A question from someone who has (phew!) never read any Goodkind - what's all this Yeard stuff about? Or is it only for True Believers, and are you going to make me read the books to find out? (no! no!)

I think the word "Yeard" is a private joke originating from News from the insane world of Goodkind, part II. Contraction of beard and yeast or something, can't remember... One thing is sure, Everyone weep when they witness the beauty that is Terry's yeard, then all the men laugh.

Archived