GOODKIND IV

Werthead

Aside from the awesomeness of all this cackling, first the chicken is "it", then its the "chicken" then the "chicken thing" and finally the "chicken-thing". This man can't have an editor.

It also started out as evil incarnate, then became wickedness incarnate. Which is it?

You can also tell how evil it is when it shits on the corpses face and laughs about it. Evil evil chicken...thingy.

Also, why wouldn't Kahlan's powers work on a chicken(that was not a chicken) or evil incarnate? Shouldn't her magic be able to understand the concept of the chicken that is not a chicken? What kind of defense are they if they only work on good people?

All kidding aside, if Goodkind wrote a book about the chicken that was not a chicken-thing I would totally buy it.

Kahlan's power only works on things that have souls apparently. Chickens, even chickens that aren't really chickens, don't have souls. I guess.

I too would buy that book.

Kahlan's power only works on things that have souls apparently. Chickens, even chickens that aren't really chickens, don't have souls. I guess.

I too would buy that book.

IIRC Kahlans power only works on humans. Recall your treatment not to long about Brophy who was turned inot a wolf to release much of her power's effect. So against a chicken her power has been established as ineffective.

IIRC Kahlans power only works on humans. Recall your treatment not to long about Brophy who was turned inot a wolf to release much of her power's effect. So against a chicken her power has been established as ineffective.

Except in WFR her power worked on a Sprite, so its not specific to humans. I'm not sure how turning a victim into an animal lessens the effects of her power. But I assume Brophy still has a soul. Besides, this chicken isn't a chicken, that's been established, so how can she know that her power won't work on a chicken that has been possessed by some kind of evil spirit? I guess this is just one of those things that she just "knows".

It still doesn't really jive with the "philosophy" that Terry seems to be trying to lay down though. The chicken is a wizard that has been turned/turned himself into a chicken right? But he's a chicken that is not a chicken. If the magic were based on the physiology of humans then this might make sense, but everything I've seen so far seems to suggest that it's some kind of compulsion made on the persons "soul".

It still doesn't really jive with the "philosophy" that Terry seems to be trying to lay down though. The chicken is a wizard that has been turned/turned himself into a chicken right? But he's a chicken that is not a chicken. If the magic were based on the physiology of humans then this might make sense, but everything I've seen so far seems to suggest that it's some kind of compulsion made on the persons "soul".

The chicken isn't (wasn't) a wizard. It was a "chime", some kind of magical construct, the purpose of which is to suck all the magic out of the world (if that makes any sense). Why they take weird forms and kill people is never really explored.

The chicken isn't (wasn't) a wizard. It was a "chime", some kind of magical construct, the purpose of which is to suck all the magic out of the world (if that makes any sense). Why they take weird forms and kill people is never really explored.

That's fantastic, well this chime certainly picked well. Next we'll have the mosquito that isn't a mosquito.

Kahlan slowly sucked in her breath as she stared at the mosquito hovering in front of her. It seemed to be saying, I want to suck your menstral blood. The mosquito thing let out a slow fly bzzzzzzz laugh. If it went for her leg, she knew she'd have to slap it, hard. And then she'd have one unslapped leg left. But her father taught her courage and so she would fight it to the death.

I just don't see what could possibly be so scary about a chicken. Even if I encountered a chicken which I was convinced was pure evil, I would still kick its ass, kill it, and eat it. The Colonel has killed billions of the fuckers, I'm sure I could kill one. Though I might be a bit creeped out by the evil laughter. Such a chicken could only be served buffalo style. Extra spicy.

I just don't see what could possibly be so scary about a chicken.

The problem is not the chicken, it's Khalan. Think about it: her power doesn't work on this opponent, so she's like a fps player who suddenly notices that his godmode just went off, he's out of ammo, and there is a scientist with a crowbar homing on him... She feels vulnerable, even if the threat is highly laughable.

On this note, though, do not underestimate evil chickens... After intense training, they manage to control their chi and move faster than any other chicken, and they also acquire the ability to fire black energy balls.

On this note, though, do not underestimate evil chickens... After intense training, they manage to control their chi and move faster than any other chicken, and they also acquire the ability to fire black energy balls.

Thats a pretty bad-ass chicken. I still think I'd take a shot at it.

Good morning and welcome to the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day. I've decided to be lazy that I have done a disservice to board members who have never read Terry. Previously I quoted the "chicken that is not a chicken" passage, but did not quote it in its entirety. So here's the rest of it (with some boring parts cut to save space).

Her power, her magic, was also a weapon of defense. But it would only work on people. It would not work on a chicken. And it would not work on wickedness incarnate.

Her gaze flicked toward the door, checking the distance. The chicken took a single hop toward her. Claws gripping Juni's upper arm, it leaned her way. Her leg muscles tightened till they trembled.

Kahlan carefully moved her trembling hand away. The chicken-thing cackled softly with satisfaction.

~Terry Goodkind, Soul of the Fire

Naturally, at this point Richard bursts in and saves the day.

It's strange that earlier in the series, Kahlan led a small army, completely naked and outnumbered against the imperial order, and never showed nearly this amount of fear. But I guess that was just fifty-thousand murderers and rapists, not a chicken-thing.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Comic genius. I thought that the previous chicken part was hilarious, but this just takes it to a whole new level. Did Goodkind take this seriously, or was it supposed to be comedy? I find it incredibly hard to believe that he's being serious here. It seems there's also a new "thing". Does the chicken have a "thing" like Richard's then? If the chicken's thing rises up then I can understand why Kahlan might be scared. The chicken also seems to be only make a single type of sound - it can cackle. But as an evil chicken, that's all it can do.

On Goodkind's editor:

The panel was....... memorable. The second man from the left, James Frenkel, was most certainly the biggest dickhead I have ever encountered at a convention. He was argumentative to the point of a live, in-person internet troll. (I was not shocked to find out that he is an editor for TOR books, namely for Terry Goodkind.)

Gary Wassner, the moderator of the panel, was attempting to make the statement that he was excited about fantasy because recently we've lifted the veil of good and evil and started to write in shades of gray. I say attempting because Frenkel shouted him down with 'Bullshit!!' This wasn't his only infraction..... He was rude, combative, and abusive with Scott Bakker especially, and took the opportunity to bash the living hell out of Phillip Pullman. (probably because both of these authors wrote wonderful series and were *NOT* published by TOR)

A bit later in the panel we were given the opportunity to ask questions. (Frenkel was not allowing a productive discussion to take place) I raised my hand and was told, not so quietly, by my wife to not get us thrown out of the convention on its first day. I agreed with Wassners assertion that fantasy was taking a decided turn towards gray morality, cited George Martin and Scott Bakkers work himself, and asked Jim just exactly what he meant from his statement that there has always been gray. (oh, and could he provide examples to back up his assertion) Of course, he had no examples...... he stated that he was not referring to books. That perplexed everyone. (this is a panel on fantasy books, after all) Regardless, he was red-faced and quiet for the remainder of the panel. Bakker actually makes reference to this on his forums. (He goes by Cu'jara Cinmoi on his forums) (last post)

http://forum.three-seas.com/viewtopic.php?t=870

Seems like Goodkind's editor was also "touched by Terry".

I never read far enough into the series to get to this chicken part, but my wife did. She said that when she came to the evil chicken, she started to reevaluate all that she had read to that point, wondering if she had missed that the series was a black comedy.

Reading the passage as it is posted here, all I can say is that I was so NOT feeling the suspence.

I don't understand how you can stop reading something so bad. If it was just boring that would be one thing, but this is too bad to put down. I'm in it til the end, if it ever comes.

"He was rude, combative, and abusive with Scott Bakker especially, and took the opportunity to bash the living hell out of Phillip Pullman".

Well, as anyone with a brain would be abusive with Bakker, that man can't write. His story line is abysmal and characters are so devoid of any essence of character they leave the reader with a sense of emptiness. Like ...who the hell writes like this... and who the hell did he pay off or sleep with to get his poop printed?

Seriously I haven't read any Pullman, but if he is anything like what I've been trying to read from Bakker, it is no wonder no one would give him any credibility or take him seriously.

Why is it that these hacks think they have to have a name that is virtually unpronounceable? It only detracts from the story. "Oh I can write I've got names in my books like "Cu'lajeb" and "Rajn a'pissoff" Is it just because he run's head first into a brick wall, almost knocking himself unconscious to be able to think up a name for his characters... There could be no other explanation, unless they guy is just retarded, which is a very likely possibility.

This is so meta, from the fan of someone whose main character could be nicknamed Dick Raw, from Richard Rahl. ;) I'll shrug at the rest, be bemused, and look forward to more inanity in the coming minutes, hours, days, and weeks. Keep up the good work!

I thought Mystar was out to debunk people who hurt authors by criticizing their works, and now he's here doing exactly that. This can't be...

Props for your previous impersonations, but you've clearly shown you're a GioG transfuge with that.

Archived