HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

23 minutes ago, Pecan said:

This is where HBO could use some reliable, if unspectacular, shows in their lineup, especially given the shift in their business model away from complete reliance on cable providers. A cop drama, for instance, would make a lot of sense, and I don't mean True Detective because that's a different kind of animal. International espionage/spies would be another option, especially since Homeland has basically turned into complete shit. 

But its not TV, its HBO. :P

I think they kind of take that seriously though. They want the brand to only be known for different and unique shows; shows you can't find elsewhere. Even the HBO shows that aren't very good are usually still unique in someway (and the ones that aren't, like The Brink, get the rare one season cancellation) By having a solid, unremarkable show, that dilutes the brand; which might just hurt more than having some subscribers dropping due to lack of content.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

But its not TV, its HBO. :P

I think they kind of take that seriously though. They want the brand to only be known for different and unique shows; shows you can't find elsewhere. Even the HBO shows that aren't very good are usually still unique in someway (and the ones that aren't, like The Brink, get the rare one season cancellation) By having a solid, unremarkable show, that dilutes the brand; which might just hurt more than having some subscribers dropping due to lack of content.

Okay, but at a certain point you have to deal with the following:

1) you have gaps in your schedule and that's not at all good for a subscription service

2) Game of Thrones is your only true hit show on the network and it only occupies 10 of 52 Sundays in the year. Nobody's watching Vinyl, nobody's watching The Leftovers (or did the ratings go up?), True Detective Season 2 may have ruined that franchise, and if Westworld sucks that won't be good at all.

I'm not saying they should just make a by the numbers cop drama or spy thriller. You can go to an established genre and do it really, really well, even twist the genre a little bit if you are so inclined. It doesn't have to be completely formulaic. What I'm saying is that maybe you don't swing for the fences with every single show. Maybe having some strong singles and doubles hitters in the lineup makes sense as well.  

• 1 month later...

Good news folks,'Westworld’ Resumes Production and Lili Simmons Joins Cast

Lili Simmons (Banshee, True Detective), has joined the cast of new HBO drama series Westworld in a recurring role. Production on Westworld, which was halted in January, has resumed.

Simmons will portray Abigail, who works in the park and uses her good looks and charm to lure Westworld guests into the saloon. She is currently filming, having started her stint just as production was being stopped so the writing team led by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy can work on the remaining four scripts.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/04/2016 at 2:32 AM, Martini Sigil said:

HBO really needs a hit... The network that gave us the Wire & the Sopranos has been really mediocre the past few years... this concept has potential,,, But we'll have to see if they can get multiple seasons of high end TV out of this

I'm sure they aren't complaing with GoT but I tend to agree. It's not like I check out a HBO show just because it's by them anymore. Then again they aren't the only players in town and there's at least 5 other networks providing the same material. I could probably take my top 5-10 shows from those other cable channels and it would be reminiscent of HBO's golden age. Someone mentioned on the forum just the other day how HBO gets by on sports and movie subscriptions so the pressure isn't massive. Plus success weirdly breeds less risk taking in entertainment. I think that's why other cable providers have been picking up dropped pitches to HBO.

Werthead has a good line-up of potential hits (which is probably where I got the info on HBO being comfortable financially now I think about it) on one of his recent blogposts. The thing is that we seem to be craving SFF from them as if that's the next big thing. In all fairness, I think they'd be better doing a period piece or a slightly different take on the crime genre again. That's where they've had most success.

Westworld should hopefully tick their SF box and foundation should have them fully in SF though.

30 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

It is abundantly clear after reading that interview that Westworld will be a period piece and a sci-fi show :P

I really hope it hasn't distracted him from the final season of "person of interest" though. It would be a shame for that show to end badly because of trouble with this one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

REALLY liked the look of that.  I think the concept of Westworld is a very interesting one, the idea of a world where you can be who you want and live out your fantasises, but its all at the expense of possibly other sentient beings. Although given where we are in time now you'd imagine that a modern Westworld would in fact be online, rather than robots.

I just hope this isn't the ballsup a lot of people are reporting it to be.

10 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Oh man, I so hope this turns out to be good. I've got some serious reservations based on the production problems that we've heard about, but that trailer at least makes it seem they've sorted them out. I'd really like another strong HBO drama in my life now that GoT is so close to wrapping up and True Detective turned into a dud.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Oh man, I so hope this turns out to be good. I've got some serious reservations based on the production problems that we've heard about, but that trailer at least makes it seem they've sorted them out. I'd really like another strong HBO drama in my life now that GoT is so close to wrapping up and True Detective turned into a dud.

True Detective was not the kind of show you could put on tv every year and maintain the same quality. Part of what made Season 1 so good was because Nic took his time to write the whole season, and Cary was the only director of the whole show. That all changed for season 2 when HBO tried to make it a regular/annual thing.

It feels like it's riffing on AMC/Channel4's "humans" in the way it makes you feel like the robots are possibly the victims. It'll certainly make it more grey when they turn on the humans. Has a great thriller tone throughout the trailer.

Was that a McFeely brother?

Archived