HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

17 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm guessing Vinyl had a pretty big budget given the creators involved.

The music budget alone must have been pretty big.

Anayway, Vinyl had potential but it bogged down by some boring and cliché Mobster and Murder plots when it should have been all about the music. 

4 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

The music budget alone must have been pretty big.

Anayway, Vinyl had potential but it bogged down by some boring and cliché Mobster and Murder plots when it should have been all about the music. 

I'll get around to it eventually.

I am correct in the other worlds from the theme park are supposed to be in the show, right? Or did i just imagine a press releae at some point talking about ancient rome world going ape-shit too?

I also feel like irrespective of whether they get a season 2, Anthony Hopkin's character will die off. Surely they can't keep him around for multi-seasons?

• 3 weeks later...

I tried watching Vinyl.  It was awful.

I canceled my HBO subscription after GoT finished up last month.  I'll monitor this thread; I was interested in Westworld, but decided to wait and see.  Vinyl was so bad, I don't trust them right now.  

• 1 month later...
On 7/11/2016 at 9:58 PM, Elder Sister said:

I tried watching Vinyl.  It was awful.

I canceled my HBO subscription after GoT finished up last month.  I'll monitor this thread; I was interested in Westworld, but decided to wait and see.  Vinyl was so bad, I don't trust them right now.  

I wonder how many people have done the same as you. I also wonder what has changed at HBO that they've gone from being wonderfully consistent to horribly consistent in their quality!

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I wonder how many people have done the same as you. I also wonder what has changed at HBO that they've gone from being wonderfully consistent to horribly consistent in their quality!

Not much, I expect. HBO still has an impressively large number of very good and successful comedies, mini-series, and movies. Its only the drama section that is in trouble; though that is the most famous. But the thing is, they've never had that many dramas airing at one time, so it only takes a couple misses to be in the trouble they're in now.

And because HBO's drama development process is so long and so inefficient (they're regularly put large amounts of money into developing great pilots that never get picked up or seen by anyone outside HBO), it is hard for them to adjust if one of their dramas misfires.

On 8/29/2016 at 3:15 AM, Martini Sigil said:

and even the Leftovers is marginally rated...  

On the contrary, Leftovers Season 2 received a lot of critical acclaim. IMO, it's till the best season of TV I've seen in years. Miles ahead of GOT, though I don't think there's any point in comparing two such different shows. The Leftovers is excellent, especially season 2, I wish more people would watch it. 

Just now, Raja said:

On the contrary, Leftovers Season 2 received a lot of critical acclaim. IMO, it's till the best season of TV I've seen in years. Miles ahead of GOT

Yeah I think it might have been my favourite show of the year apart from maybe Fargo. It was wonderful and pretty brave in what it did. 

I also heard Night Of is good as well, so obviously not all is bad at HBO.

They are just lacking the phenomenal shows like The Sopranos and The Wire , not able to replicate that kind of greatness.

And they've tried. They gave David Simon a second chance with Treme but that did not work to that level. Boardwalk Empire as their second try at a mobster show had qualities but most people didn't like that near as much as The Sopranos. Luck was an interesting series that got cancelled. Rome was cancelled. Vinyl I did not see but I didn't even care to watch it from the trailer and it was panned. 

I still think their output tends to be above average and a sign of some quality when you see the HBO logo, but they are missing masterpieces. Westworld is the big one now, with Leftover season 3 starting in January, and then GoT season 7 in June.

Stuff like American Gods and Preacher or a try at an HBO SF series a la BSG /B5 could have been big hits IMO.

I think Boardwalk Empire is criminally underrated. It's up there with The Sopranos/The Wire/Deadwood in my opinion. The Leftovers is also amazing but nobody seems to be watching it. Show Me a Hero, the miniseries David Simon did after Treme, was really good. Anyone who enjoyed The Wire should enjoy it. Though it doesn't quite reach that level. 

12 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think Boardwalk Empire is criminally underrated. It's up there with The Sopranos/The Wire/Deadwood in my opinion. The Leftovers is also amazing but nobody seems to be watching it. Show Me a Hero, the miniseries David Simon did after Treme, was really good. Anyone who enjoyed The Wire should enjoy it. Though it doesn't quite reach that level. 

Boardwalk Empire was awesome I agree. 

I've heard wonderful things about The Leftovers, but haven't managed to get around to watching it yet (I'm not even sure it's been airing here in the UK, anyone else know about that?). 

27 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I've heard wonderful things about The Leftovers, but haven't managed to get around to watching it yet (I'm not even sure it's been airing here in the UK, anyone else know about that?). 

I'm not sure how to watch it in the UK - do you have an equivalent of HBO on demand over there? That's how I watched season 1 in India. 

I will say this though, lots of people got turned off by the bleak tone of S1, and whilst S1 *can* be pretty bleak, it's worth sticking through and getting to S2, which imo, improves on S1 by quite a bit. Plus, it's got Ecclestone!

6 minutes ago, Raja said:

I'm not sure how to watch it in the UK - do you have an equivalent of HBO on demand over there? That's how I watched season 1 in India. 

I will say this though, lots of people got turned off by the bleak tone of S1, and whilst S1 *can* be pretty bleak, it's worth sticking through and getting to S2, which imo, improves on S1 by quite a bit. Plus, it's got Ecclestone!

We have Sky Atlantic, which broadcasts stuff from HBO and Showtime. So it might be available on Sky Stores, I'll check it out. Thanks!

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I never got round to watching it but it was on Sky Atlantic a while back.

Archived