HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

Yeah, the logistics of the park are still a mystery to me, but I'm sure that's on purpose ! 

Fantastic premiere ! Amazing performances, writing, direction, esthetics and production ! Not disapointed one bit ! 

Cant wait for next week ! 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Okay...I'm still trying to figure out Westworld itself...a couple of the management types go to the roof for a smoke and they're very high up...when the team goes to cold storage, they go to more than 80nlevels below and come out into an area that looks like an abandoned office building...

If nothing else, the shows got me wondering about all kinds of mysteries...

Spoiler

There was a mention of the last critical failure being 30 years ago. When I saw that abandoned complex, I immediately thought about Jurassic Park and that now they may be at Jurassic World stage.

I thought the premier was very intriguing in terms of making me think there's potential and making me curious though I didn't think it was quite the hour of television that so many seem to.  And most of the reviews I've seen agree with this thread and say the pilot was great.  They also say that episodes 3 and 4 seem to be weaker, but this is hopefully a show that's meant to go many seasons with unfolding mysteries.  I saw one review say it devolves into an HBO version of Lost which doesn't sound so bad to me at all.

One thing that was amazing about the debut was ERW who was just great.  i have not really seen much she's been in.  And Ed Harris is so awesomely menacing. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:
  Hide contents

There was a mention of the last critical failure being 30 years ago. When I saw that abandoned complex, I immediately thought about Jurassic Park and that now they may be at Jurassic World stage.

Spoiler

Another mystery! Although I also think that might be a winking nod to the original Westworld movie. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

The man in black said he's been going there for 30 years also, so I'm assuming there's some connection.

3 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:
  Hide contents

The man in black said he's been going there for 30 years also, so I'm assuming there's some connection.

that's interesting man-in-black has just been waiting to cause more trouble since the rebranding. Far out ideas - Anthony hopkins is just insane and everyone there is a creation of his

Really liked the pilot, the last 15 minutes defintely got me hooked on it. I really like this kind of mysterious sci-f productions. Nolan's mark is all over it. 

A theory i have about the gunslinger (and another one a little bit crackpotish):

I think he didn't rape Dolores in the barn, it would really throw too much shade on his character (maybe that's the point ? idk), but i believe he either planted a virus or upgraded her, anyway, i don't think it was for such an obvious reason (rape).

Also, could it be that even the creators of the show are AI ? If you look at Ford when he talks with Theresa Cullen (and dimisses her if i remember right, or tells her to leave), for a moment it looked like the interaction between the hosts and the producers. Like she switched off and followed his instructions. 

1 hour ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Really liked the pilot, the last 15 minutes defintely got me hooked on it. I really like this kind of mysterious sci-f productions. Nolan's mark is all over it. 

A theory i have about the gunslinger (and another one a little bit crackpotish):

Reveal hidden contents

I think he didn't rape Dolores in the barn, it would really throw too much shade on his character (maybe that's the point ? idk), but i believe he either planted a virus or upgraded her, anyway, i don't think it was for such an obvious reason (rape).

Also, could it be that even the creators of the show are AI ? If you look at Ford when he talks with Theresa Cullen (and dimisses her if i remember right, or tells her to leave), for a moment it looked like the interaction between the hosts and the producers. Like she switched off and followed his instructions. 

I've been thinking about that scene, too, and considering what happened in the rest of the episode I can think of two scenarios:

Spoiler

1) Rape is definitely the easy assumption, so like you, I thought that maybe he did something else to her to further his goals in finding whatever he is looking for; this makes sense considering she is the oldest host there, so yes looking through or changing her software may be something he needs to do

2) He did rape her, because at what one point, before this quest of his began, he was just another douche looking for "a good time" in the park and Dolores became an obsession for him that he can't shake.

1 hour ago, GeorgeIAF said:

Hide contents

I had a similar thought on the last page. The fascinating question is, if he did reprogram her against her will, is that not still a form of rape (from an AI perspective)? I guess if he's removing blocks he's liberating her and it may be the original her wanted this. Still a grey area. If he's a robot and was programmed to rape people as a storyline are they both victims? I'd say "yes" and the programmers etc are the perpetrators.

Like I said, crackpot theory is that everyone except Hopkins is a robot. Although there's enough room in the show tp allow for hopkins to be a robot of himself. It's a cool aspect of the show they can dip into if they wish - although "who's a robot" can get old fast.

Count me among the extremely impressed. First off, it is absolutely beautiful. Time and time again, I was astounded with the shots. The landscapes are Lawrence of Arabia good, which is the highest praise I could possibly give, and the set design is flawless. The acting is amazing. You might as well just slot Hopkins or Ed Harris in for a best supporting Emmy right now, because the only show that will have better acting is season 3 of The  Leftovers this year, and we all know that is going to be ignored. The plot is deep, and can be explored with so many possibilities as to be virtually endless. (See what I did there with the word virtually?) My prediction is that HBO has another massive, society shifting hit on their hands.

40 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

Count me among the extremely impressed. First off, it is absolutely beautiful. Time and time again, I was astounded with the shots. The landscapes are Lawrence of Arabia good, which is the highest praise I could possibly give, and the set design is flawless. The acting is amazing. You might as well just slot Hopkins or Ed Harris in for a best supporting Emmy right now, because the only show that will have better acting is season 3 of The  Leftovers this year, and we all know that is going to be ignored. The plot is deep, and can be explored with so many possibilities as to be virtually endless. (See what I did there with the word virtually?) My prediction is that HBO has another massive, society shifting hit on their hands.

It did look absolutely stunning which I guess from a story point had to be the case as well - customers want the ultimate experience in Westworld.

It does seem like there's only one themed place (pretty sure the film had other eras in the park too). I guess there could still be other parks and they just haven't been mentioned.

I hope the show becomes a big hit. I don't think it's going to be a 1:1 ratio for viewers of GOT watching and sticking with this (the sex and violence quota isn't quite there) but there was an audience for "lost" at the time and I think this could tickle that demographic too. Plus this is SF and if HBO has a hit with it then the other cable channels will follow. Netflix already has "altered Carbon" in development but I could say AMC, SHowtime, Amazon and Starz! look into it too if Westworld is a hit.

Jonathan Nolan is proving to be no slouch in the Nolan family either (and to be fair he wrote a lot of his brother's films) and Person of interest was always a broad appeal concept. It looks like he's got the same thing going here. Makes me pretty curious about his role in the "foundation" show he's also developing for HBO

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Hide contents

that's interesting man-in-black has just been waiting to cause more trouble since the rebranding. Far out ideas - Anthony hopkins is just insane and everyone there is a creation of his

I don't know that this is as far fetched as you want to think...it crossed my mind as well.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Hide contents

I had a similar thought on the last page. The fascinating question is, if he did reprogram her against her will, is that not still a form of rape (from an AI perspective)? I guess if he's removing blocks he's liberating her and it may be the original her wanted this. Still a grey area. If he's a robot and was programmed to rape people as a storyline are they both victims? I'd say "yes" and the programmers etc are the perpetrators.

Like I said, crackpot theory is that everyone except Hopkins is a robot. Although there's enough room in the show tp allow for hopkins to be a robot of himself. It's a cool aspect of the show they can dip into if they wish - although "who's a robot" can get old fast.

I don't think that the gunslinger is

a host (robot), i think he is human (that's why he was immune to bullets and so on), maybe he is one of the founders of the park alongside Dr Ford and now he is messing with them or something like that ?

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

So it seems like Westworld is the entirety of the park, right? There's no medieval world or Roman world?

That was my impression, too. I think at some point they had other themes, but now they're sticking to just the wild west theme. Maybe they rotate them every few years. 

6 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

That was my impression, too. I think at some point they had other themes, but now they're sticking to just the wild west theme. Maybe they rotate them every few years. 

Guess it depends on how long they want the show to go and whether they'll need extra material... :P

12 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

This would also be interesting for the plot of the series... To change the setting of the park every year or two...

Archived