HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

On October 3, 2016 at 6:40 AM, Mark Antony said:

Haha what they look nothing alike to me. You know Evan Rachel Wood was on True Blood as well right? Anyway I could see Emmys in her future from this role. She was mesmerizing. 

Wow I had no idea that was her. Here she is discussing Suki in TB btw. 

42 minutes ago, Risto said:

This would also be interesting for the plot of the series... To change the setting of the park every year or two...

I'm not sure exactly how they plan to keep the show going for multiple seasons. But to change the setting every few years they'd need to regain control of the park, have an off-screen period of calm, and then have another catastrophic malfunction. Unless I'm missing something. Maybe they could do that once, but more than that I think it'd start getting ridiculous. After the second or third time the robots go nuts and kill everyone you'd expect people would just stop going to the park. 

I think with the hints that the company is developing these androids for a larger purpose than the park that later seasons may not even take place there. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

I'm not sure exactly how they plan to keep the show going for multiple seasons. But to change the setting every few years they'd need to regain control of the park, have an off-screen period of calm, and then have another catastrophic malfunction. Unless I'm missing something. Maybe they could do that once, but more than that I think it'd start getting ridiculous. After the second or third time the robots go nuts and kill everyone you'd expect people would just stop going to the park. 

I think with the hints that the company is developing these androids for a larger purpose than the park that later seasons may not even take place there. 

I may be wrong, but I thought they plan to do at least several seasons. I would agree that it was hinted that robots may serve some other purpose so the park may not be the setting in the future seasons. 

9 minutes ago, Risto said:

I may be wrong, but I thought they plan to do at least several seasons. I would agree that it was hinted that robots may serve some other purpose so the park may not be the setting in the future seasons. 

Yeah I remember reading that too, I forget how many but it was around five. At the same time I expect this season to have a satisfying end to the current story-line, since they don't know if they're going to get a second. Plus Hopkins almost certainly just committed to the one season. 

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah I remember reading that too, I forget how many but it was around five. At the same time I expect this season to have a satisfying end to the current story-line, since they don't know if they're going to get a second. Plus Hopkins almost certainly just committed to the one season. 

He's probably going to be the first one to die in the control center. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Yes, the five season was something they talked about. As for getting the second, given that the ratings were rather solid (3,3 across the board- higher than even GoT pilot, plus the great online buzz). They can take it to the second season easily. Well, the question remains whether Hopkins would stay. He is truly admirable actor. A true virtuoso. 

2 minutes ago, Risto said:

Yes, the five season was something they talked about. As for getting the second, given that the ratings were rather solid (3,3 across the board- higher than even GoT pilot, plus the great online buzz). They can take it to the second season easily. Well, the question remains whether Hopkins would stay. He is truly admirable actor. A true virtuoso. 

He can't be cheap, though, or at least having both him and Ed Harris in the show can't be cheap (the premiere episode cost $25 million reportedly, and the per-episode cost is $10 million - on par with current seasons of Game of Thrones).

I'm guessing that if the second episode improves on those ratings, we'll get a renewal for season 2 or more from HBO.

Just jumping in here real quickly to say that I loved the pilot. I know there was a ton of info given to viewers for set-up, which is why I watched it again last night, to which I loved it even more. There was enough info slid in that just made me want to watch more and more to figure it out along the way.

I want to list so many things that I found as great potential set-up for side plots and future big plots, but I don't want to spoil anything for others (even with a tag).

I just hope it can stay this clever while using a fairly well known plot of robot becoming aware of itself and the issue with human morality. But, again, there was enough set-up for other issues that I think they can get a few good seasons out of it and still have it be beautiful and intriguing and twisty.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else that Djiwaldi did an excellent job with the score and music. :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Risto said:

Oh I agree, but they didn't know it'd be successful during production. I would think they'd have written an ending that could serve as a series finale, while leaving plenty of hooks for future seasons. But who knows. Supposedly the production shutdown was in part because they were trying to plan out the future of the show beyond season one. 

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I don't know that this is as far fetched as you want to think...it crossed my mind as well.

we watch too much genre tv  :)

5 hours ago, GeorgeIAF said:

I don't think that the gunslinger is

Hide contents

a host (robot), i think he is human (that's why he was immune to bullets and so on), maybe he is one of the founders of the park alongside Dr Ford and now he is messing with them or something like that ?

but is he human or just appears so human that the robots are fooled? I guess he could be a human who broke into the place and has been living there for years but it seems hard to believe that no-one has noticed his operations yet. I wonder if Anthony hopkins musing on mutations/mistakes being the driver of evolution and whether he's inserted the man in black as a wild-card driver of change (human or host)

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Guess it depends on how long they want the show to go and whether they'll need extra material... :P

I think this might be the case as well. Shows love to have something new for the next season. eg final scene in this season has Delores escape - only to find she's now in a roman era. They'll save the knights for when GOT is finished. Because I'm sure there'd be a market for fantasyworld or alien world too. Although i think "futureworld" was a sequel film to westworld?

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Oh I agree, but they didn't know it'd be successful during production. I would think they'd have written an ending that could serve as a series finale, while leaving plenty of hooks for future seasons. But who knows. Supposedly the production shutdown was in part because they were trying to plan out the future of the show beyond season one. 

I guess so. It would be smart move to actually tie it up if it would sink (and I doubt it would), but also leave enough space for future seasons. They can go many different ways. First one is a serialized story that goes for seasons to come, or to have one major story each year (something like American Horror Story). I think that former is more likely to happen (although it would be fun to see the same characters in other surroundings - medieval, Ancient Rome, Egypt, futuristic etc.)

BTW, I must properly inform myself about this show :D 

23 hours ago, Risto said:

The nudity was, IDK... I guess it adds to the sterility of the company's rooms and it kinda makes it very sci-fi-oriented, but I enjoyed it.

It's mainly to sell the power imbalance.

I really liked it, the shootout at the bar was fantastic, particularly the lassie just mowing people down. I want a film of that. Then the speech getting interrupted :lol:

45 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

It's mainly to sell the power imbalance.

I really liked it, the shootout at the bar was fantastic, particularly the lassie just mowing people down. I want a film of that. Then the speech getting interrupted :lol:

I just read again what I have written... That post needs some serious editing before someone thinks of me as a perv :)

It is interesting POV. For me, as a medical worker, it associated me with sterile environment and ORs. 

2 minutes ago, Risto said:

I just read again what I have written... That post needs some serious editing before someone thinks of me as a perv :)

It is interesting POV. For me, as a medical worker, it associated me with sterile environment and ORs. 

Yeah, to me the nudity effectively sold that the hosts are no better than cattle in the eyes of the workers at the facility. Hell, they're even referred to as "livestock."

Just now, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Yeah, to me the nudity effectively sold that the hosts are no better than cattle in the eyes of the workers at the facility. Hell, they're even referred to as "livestock."

Yeah, they don't think of them any more than a scientist thinks of lab rats. It is very dehumanizing. That is what made the scene between Dolores' father and scientist played by Hopkins so sinister. 

There's one thing that I'm struggling to comprehend. And I'm not sure if it's a plot hole, or if there will turn out to be a valid explanation that just eludes me currently. And that's "Groundhog Day" aspect of the show.

In the pilot, it's basically been a case of the same day repeating over and over. Everything gets reset and they start each day in the exact same positions and taking the exact same actions - but there's variability based on how the interactions with the guests transpire and the hosts have built in capability to respond accordingly.

Well, firstly, I just can't see the show continuing in that vein - it would get fairly boring if we don't get some sense of progression. And sure - a "glitch in the matrix" could prevent the reset and allow events to unfold. But if that were to happen, I'd expect the operators of the park would shut it down pretty damn quick.

And secondly... they supposedly altered the gang leader's script to cause him to "rob the saloon one week earlier" than the script would normally allow. But... how can anything happen "one week early" if it's all reset each day? I don't get it.

19 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

There's one thing that I'm struggling to comprehend. And I'm not sure if it's a plot hole, or if there will turn out to be a valid explanation that just eludes me currently. And that's "Groundhog Day" aspect of the show.

In the pilot, it's basically been a case of the same day repeating over and over. Everything gets reset and they start each day in the exact same positions and taking the exact same actions - but there's variability based on how the interactions with the guests transpire and the hosts have built in capability to respond accordingly.

Well, firstly, I just can't see the show continuing in that vein - it would get fairly boring if we don't get some sense of progression. And sure - a "glitch in the matrix" could prevent the reset and allow events to unfold. But if that were to happen, I'd expect the operators of the park would shut it down pretty damn quick.

And secondly... they supposedly altered the gang leader's script to cause him to "rob the saloon one week earlier" than the script would normally allow. But... how can anything happen "one week early" if it's all reset each day? I don't get it.

Maybe it's because his gang is on the lamb and they were supposed to be out the desert for another week? 

I was wondering about that too.  I wonder if some of it is just specific parts are replayed.  Maybe it isn't a "next day" replay exactly, but it is a reset to a same starting point and they just didn't explain it very well?

Maybe it's because his gang is on the lamb and they were supposed to be out the desert for another week? 

Possibly... as I said, maybe there'll be a perfectly satisfactory explanation in the end. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

Anyway - I really enjoyed the show and it doesn't really bother me. It's just something that struck me and was a little confused by.

Archived