HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

10 minutes ago, AndrewJ said:

Possibly... as I said, maybe there'll be a perfectly satisfactory explanation in the end. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.

Anyway - I really enjoyed the show and it doesn't really bother me. It's just something that struck me and was a little confused by.

The weirdness for me is the stuff behind the scenes.  

Definitely enjoyed the premier and looking forward to seeing more. It left me with plenty of questions.

Is Dolores and everyone else just living the same day over and over with some variation whenever the staff choose? Wouldn't the real people get bored of seeing mostly the same day?

5 minutes ago, -Ghost- said:

Definitely enjoyed the premier and looking forward to seeing more. It left me with plenty of questions.

Is Dolores and everyone else just living the same day over and over with some variation whenever the staff choose? Wouldn't the real people get bored of seeing mostly the same day?

The variation is based on the interaction with guests. 

2 hours ago, -Ghost- said:

The real people don't stay there for that long...except for the Man in Black. And variations occur according to the guests' behavior.

19 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

An EW article with the showrunners that address a few issues raised here.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/02/westworld-premiere-interview

I think Roman World and Medieval World might not be there upon reading this but there might be something similar.  

my takeaway was that The Man In Black's cruelty was a cover so the overlords would take their eyes off his snooping (I assume they did not observe his activities way out in the hills)

we know he wants to find out how the world works, but no hint yet as to why

8 hours ago, Risto said:

Yeah, they don't think of them any more than a scientist thinks of lab rats. It is very dehumanizing. That is what made the scene between Dolores' father and scientist played by Hopkins so sinister. 

Except for the one who kissed the hooker bot. I don't do that with the flies I work with. I agree that's how the majority view the bots though as tools. I'm guessing there'll be more story about the tech who indulged with the hooker (i think she was one of the ones another part of management accused of enjoying "dressing up" and checking into Westworld .

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I was wondering about that too.  I wonder if some of it is just specific parts are replayed.  Maybe it isn't a "next day" replay exactly, but it is a reset to a same starting point and they just didn't explain it very well?

Again, I'm referring to Red Dead Redemption (or sandbox games in general) to view this. Their lives do play out the same every day (although I think "session" might be more accurate) - it's only when players interact with them that their stories change. So as a player you can experience several days of gameplay while the majority of characters stay in the same day until your actions alter storylines. in RDR all the side characters go through the same motions - it's only when you run up and accept a mission or start a fight that things develop. In the case of Delores, none of the players were really interacting with her so the players wouldn't notice she was having the same day. Her encounter with the family wouldn't affect her routine unless she saw them again in which case I'm sure they'd remember her. Also remember her days weren't the same -

it was only because a human player interacted with James MArsden's character that her day was diverted to painting instead of spending the day with him. Luckily for her the gang robots malfunctioned so she wasn't at home when they turned up to kill everyone - assuming the attack on the house always happens in the story?

10 hours ago, Risto said:

I guess so. It would be smart move to actually tie it up if it would sink (and I doubt it would), but also leave enough space for future seasons. They can go many different ways. First one is a serialized story that goes for seasons to come, or to have one major story each year (something like American Horror Story). I think that former is more likely to happen (although it would be fun to see the same characters in other surroundings - medieval, Ancient Rome, Egypt, futuristic etc.)

BTW, I must properly inform myself about this show :D 

I hadn't thought of the possibility of them doing both until you mentioned this. It could be serialised and sort of an anthology. If another season was Romeworld you could have the same cast eg delores as "Agripinna" etc so the robot cast have new roles but it's still the same show. They already showed how interchangeable the bots are with the "dad" - which is interesting as you then wonder what parts they may have already played within Westworld. I guess if Delores was a key character if she malfunctioned they'd switch in eg the gunslinger girl to replace her as "Delores" is more important to the game's story? Another potential level to the show they can explore/play with.

It'll be intriguing when some really rich customers turn up as I imagine they can customise the game to their exact requirements. They may also be able to afford to spend more time there in one sitting too.

While other settings would be fun I guess in the real world they'd spread the various "worlds" out and not have them all in one place. Assuming WestWorld is set out in the Wild West and those mountains aren't fake it'd be tricky to turn it into Rome or medieval europe at the same location.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Again, I'm referring to Red Dead Redemption (or sandbox games in general) to view this. Their lives do play out the same every day (although I think "session" might be more accurate) - it's only when players interact with them that their stories change. So as a player you can experience several days of gameplay while the majority of characters stay in the same day until your actions alter storylines. in RDR all the side characters go through the same motions - it's only when you run up and accept a mission or start a fight that things develop. In the case of Delores, none of the players were really interacting with her so the players wouldn't notice she was having the same day. Her encounter with the family wouldn't affect her routine unless she saw them again in which case I'm sure they'd remember her. Also remember her days weren't the same -

Hide contents

it was only because a human player interacted with James MArsden's character that her day was diverted to painting instead of spending the day with him. Luckily for her the gang robots malfunctioned so she wasn't at home when they turned up to kill everyone - assuming the attack on the house always happens in the story?

I hadn't thought of the possibility of them doing both until you mentioned this. It could be serialised and sort of an anthology. If another season was Romeworld you could have the same cast eg delores as "Agripinna" etc so the robot cast have new roles but it's still the same show. They already showed how interchangeable the bots are with the "dad" - which is interesting as you then wonder what parts they may have already played within Westworld. I guess if Delores was a key character if she malfunctioned they'd switch in eg the gunslinger girl to replace her as "Delores" is more important to the game's story? Another potential level to the show they can explore/play with.

Hmmmm...you make a good point about Dolores and her resetting to the next day.  It works on a number of levels and how she interacted with Teddy.

Yet now I'm bothered by the actions of the Man in Black and the simple fact that there were the outlaws at the house to begin with.  The MiB indicates that he never understood why some of the hosts had been paired off. He also apparently had been part of this scenario before.  Many times.  The humans had to be overseeing the MiB's story, didn't they? I mean, they reset Teddy and Dolores...or perhaps there are so many stories going on that they don't monitor someone coming back for 30 years doing the same thing quite so closely...? But then the MiB is off and doing his own thing too, torturing the one host to get the scalp...

Side note: Dr. Ford is evil Mr. Roarke meets John Hammond on this twisted Island who wanted nothing more than to be Walt Disney initially...

27 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Yet now I'm bothered by the actions of the Man in Black and the simple fact that there were the outlaws at the house to begin with.  The MiB indicates that he never understood why some of the hosts had been paired off. He also apparently had been part of this scenario before.  Many times.  The humans had to be overseeing the MiB's story, didn't they? I mean, they reset Teddy and Dolores...or perhaps there are so many stories going on that they don't monitor someone coming back for 30 years doing the same thing quite so closely...? But then the MiB is off and doing his own thing too, torturing the one host to get the scalp...

This is the aspect I don't quite understand. Either they don't monitor everything happening (which seems odd given how they were quickly spotting the other malfunctions) or they know the MiB is a player and they just let him do whatever he wants (none of the robots malfunctioned in his scenes with them). At first I thought they might only monitor when humans are present eg the sherrif malfunction and the bandit malfunction. That could explain why MiB wasn't noticed in the opening scene. But then they picked out Delores' dad -although this could have been because they were tracking done all models that had the recent update.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

This is the aspect I don't quite understand. Either they don't monitor everything happening (which seems odd given how they were quickly spotting the other malfunctions) or they know the MiB is a player and they just let him do whatever he wants (none of the robots malfunctioned in his scenes with them). At first I thought they might only monitor when humans are present eg the sherrif malfunction and the bandit malfunction. That could explain why MiB wasn't noticed in the opening scene. But then they picked out Delores' dad -although this could have been because they were tracking done all models that had the recent update.

A theory I read somewhere is that the MiB does this awful gruesome things precisely so the monitors don't pay much attention to him- no one wants to watch him raping Dolores, torturing the hosts, etc, so they stop looking too much, and he goes after what he really wants, whatever that is.

4 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

A theory I read somewhere is that the MiB does this awful gruesome things precisely so the monitors don't pay much attention to him- no one wants to watch him raping Dolores, torturing the hosts, etc, so they stop looking too much, and he goes after what he really wants, whatever that is.

That sort of merges both possibilities and is an effective smokescreen for stopping people watching him.

2 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Yeah, it doesn't mean he isn't a psychopath, because someone who isn't wouldn't be able to do all he does, let alone for decades.

in the same way someone playing Grand theft Auto isn't. Although it's blurring the lines when it's so realistic. Although it's maybe a case of he doesn't do the awful things they think - he just implies them.

40 minutes ago, red snow said:

in the same way someone playing Grand theft Auto isn't. Although it's blurring the lines when it's so realistic. Although it's maybe a case of he doesn't do the awful things they think - he just implies them.

Yup. When rewatching the premiere, I tried to look at that first scene when he drags her to the barn to see if he was only trying to come across as going to rape her, when in reality he was going to work on her program...

Archived