HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

I'm not expecting much for this season, it seems incredibly predictable, but I will keep watching because I want to know where they go with it after the first season.  Plus, despite the story obviously being done before, the acting and visuals so far are superb.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

I'm not expecting much for this season, it seems incredibly predictable, but I will keep watching because I want to know where they go with it after the first season.  Plus, despite the story obviously being done before, the acting and visuals so far are superb.

What are you suggesting is incredibly predictable? That there are robots and they seem to be coming to life?  Wasn't that the essential premise?  And the show is out to explore that idea. 

I'm finding that all of my general expectations of what to expect, I can't seem to fathom how they're getting there.

Corvinus and Dbunting making an important point there. That the hosts arent programmed on a narrow 24 (Groundhog-ish) hour loop. I'm imagining the host at a point on something like a spiders web. Which point or turn they they take along that web determined by thousands of variables. Which point they start, stop or cycle along that web also affected by thousands of variables.

They may have shown a few hosts in a 24 hr repeating loop, but that loop is likely just a snapshot into a endless web of possibilities and different turns and points along  the journey on that endless web.

With that many possible scenarios, and with the hosts developing elements of "self awareness" and artificial intelligence, these episodes will be anything but predictable to me. Of course I feel I have the added benefit of not having watched any of the original shows or movies. I feel like i'm unburdened from having to manage any expectations going in and can enjoy the journey so to speak.

22 hours ago, Corvinus said:

This is a good reasoning. But remember that group of guests that picked up Teddy, and one of them said that Teddy had served as a guide to him before? I don't know if that was all in one day, especially since there doesn't seem to be a way for the guests to know with which hosts to interact. So maybe the day resets for the all hosts who, besides dying, don't interact with any guests. But if they get picked up by guests to do something, their cycle gets prolonged. My guess.

The trips are always 2 weeks (@$40K/day).  You choose a black hat or white hat to show whether you are playing good or evil.  Then there's a north of the river, south of the river divide between PG and R vacation types.  If you go to discoverwestworld.com you can book your holiday. ;)

They show us two iterations in the pilot.  The first one, we only see the first day (probably because Dolores' story line ends there for that trip).  The second one we see two days.  We only see the train twice.

If you watch carefully, Dolores wakes up the third time, but the music didn't play.  When she sees her father, he is still sitting with the picture from the night before.  Teddy was intercepted on day 1 by those 2 dudes that want him as a guide so he doesn't meet Dolores that time until the 2nd day at the saloon heist.

Hector's heist was planned for week 2, but his timeline was accelerated as cover for removing the 200+ hosts who were updated.

The fourth time Dolores wakes up (and the third time we see Teddy on the train) is the time that she slaps the fly.

I could have it wrong, but that's how I interpreted it.

On a different note, did anyone notice the man in black on the train either time?

And, if the hosts can't hurt a living thing, why/how does Teddy try to shoot at the man in black?

And why don't we get to see Teddy naked?

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

When they said that they had the gang come back to town a week early it also messed me up. They set it up as if each day is a reset, showing Delores and Teddy waking fresh each day, but then tell us of a story line that is weeks in the making? I rationalized it by thinking that the town "scene" resets each day, for people who pay for a one day experience, but people who pay for a longer trip take off from town and can spend a week or more on a longer story that culminates with the gang coming back to town, if no one has found them in the hills yet.

I'm thinking they run the same day for a while then move the story forward.

1 hour ago, Destiel's Child said:

And, if the hosts can't hurt a living thing, why/how does Teddy try to shoot at the man in black?

I thought of that too. In the previous 2 scenes where we see the hosts with clear chances to shoot at the guests,(the milk killer blatantly ignored the 2 guests in the saloon while shooting all hosts, and the female robber just looked at the guest and waited for him to kill her) they didn't. I was also assuming that they can't even shoot at guests, let alone hurt them.

Maybe Teddy shooting at MiB was his malfunction, not noticed by the tech guys because he got killed soon after. Still, MiB, if he is a guest, didn't show any surprise that Teddy shot him. He even expected it, saying something about wanting a challenge.

Early Release Episode to avoid the Presidential Debate! Episode 2 is up and ready to be watched! Merry West-Mas!

Spoiler

That was a slower episode, following the massive reveals and setup in the first one. And it ended with something weird - what was that metal spire thing with the cross at the end? A buried radio tower? Are they moving the setting forward a couple decades in technology? 

It would fit with Dolores finding the gun. Ford may be planning to spring some surprises to change the whole Westworld narrative, since certainly something's changing with Dolores - the end of episode teasers hinted that she's going to become a bandit like (hinted at) Teddy. 

We also found out that the Man in Black definitely is special - one of the techs said that he "gets whatever he wants". 

There might have been some minor hints about the world outside of Westworld. The two guys took an underground-looking train to get to the park, and the rock changed to look like the "natural" rock in the setting just before they got to the station. 

Maybe we should just have a moderator add a "spoilers" warning to the thread title, so we can just discuss it all without spoiler tagging stuff. 

36 minutes ago, Electric Bass said:

Early Release Episode to avoid the Presidential Debate! Episode 2 is up and ready to be watched! Merry West-Mas!

Reveal hidden contents

That was a slower episode, following the massive reveals and setup in the first one. And it ended with something weird - what was that metal spire thing with the cross at the end? A buried radio tower? Are they moving the setting forward a couple decades in technology? 

It would fit with Dolores finding the gun. Ford may be planning to spring some surprises to change the whole Westworld narrative, since certainly something's changing with Dolores - the end of episode teasers hinted that she's going to become a bandit like (hinted at) Teddy. 

We also found out that the Man in Black definitely is special - one of the techs said that he "gets whatever he wants". 

There might have been some minor hints about the world outside of Westworld. The two guys took an underground-looking train to get to the park, and the rock changed to look like the "natural" rock in the setting just before they got to the station. 

Maybe we should just have a moderator add a "spoilers" warning to the thread title, so we can just discuss it all without spoiler tagging stuff. 

Awesome, thanks.

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I thought of that too. In the previous 2 scenes where we see the hosts with clear chances to shoot at the guests,(the milk killer blatantly ignored the 2 guests in the saloon while shooting all hosts, and the female robber just looked at the guest and waited for him to kill her) they didn't. I was also assuming that they can't even shoot at guests, let alone hurt them.

It's really bugging me.  :D

The man in black (tMIB) does say to Dolores that he didn't pay all this money to have it easy... he wanted her to fight.  

Perhaps the rules are adjusted for him... or perhaps he's not a newcomer at all. :dunno:

4 hours ago, Electric Bass said:

Reveal hidden contents

Damn wish I would have checked this thread last night. Thanks for the heads up, gonna watch later for sure :) 

Episode 2 spoilers.

Spoiler

So I guess the hosts can definitely shoot at the guests with some type of bullet that only hurts the hosts(assuming the MiB is human), slap during rough sex and "attempt" to disarm when a guest is shooting everyone.

It interested me that they were gonna slow down the MiB because he was on a tear, and I wonder how they planned on doing it(maybe have his horse breakdown?).Obviously only the higher-ups know about who or what he is. Maybe Ford has him out there running wild as part of his new "original" plan? If only we could binge watch this.

21 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What are you suggesting is incredibly predictable? That there are robots and they seem to be coming to life?  Wasn't that the essential premise?  And the show is out to explore that idea. 

I'm finding that all of my general expectations of what to expect, I can't seem to fathom how they're getting there.

Seriously?  AI's becoming self aware and turning on those that created them?  Not only has this particular story been done before, the premise has been explored by countless movies, books, comics, and shows for decades.  

So, my expectations are pretty low for this season.  I'm expecting a pretty derivative story and hoping that the greater payout comes from the exploration of what happens after, who is actually in control, what is the grander purpose of this place, and hopefully exploring the integration of self aware AI into the human experience.  

Archived