HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

27 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Seriously?  AI's becoming self aware and turning on those that created them?  Not only has this particular story been done before, the premise has been explored by countless movies, books, comics, and shows for decades.  

So, my expectations are pretty low for this season.  I'm expecting a pretty derivative story and hoping that the greater payout comes from the exploration of what happens after, who is actually in control, what is the grander purpose of this place, and hopefully exploring the integration of self aware AI into the human experience.  

It was a serious question.  Yours is the first voice I think I've seen or heard with any kind of concern such as this.  

Just was trying to dig a little deeper to see if there was specific criticisms beyond your concerns that it might be derivative, as no one else seemed especially concerned about the essential premise.

43 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Seriously?  AI's becoming self aware and turning on those that created them?  Not only has this particular story been done before, the premise has been explored by countless movies, books, comics, and shows for decades.  

So, my expectations are pretty low for this season.  I'm expecting a pretty derivative story and hoping that the greater payout comes from the exploration of what happens after, who is actually in control, what is the grander purpose of this place, and hopefully exploring the integration of self aware AI into the human experience.  

Yes its been done before  (obviously in the movie WESTWORLD), but that doesn't work against it IMO. I think there are slight similarities to the recent UK (and swedish) programme Humans. There is certainly an interesting point to be made about the abuse humans would inflict on seemingly conscious beings and what damage that does to them. I don't think Humans did it especially well and so I think there is plenty of room to do something in that area.

So far I think the show has shown me enough to make me hopeful it will do a good job.

It's scary but people can turn that off and on, see the German soldiers who returned home from the eastern front after world war II. That said something that real is bound to effect you. Some people would go in wanting to kill everyone and come out with a mean case of PTSD.

I wonder if the Maze the man in black is referring to is the underground control room? maybe he's trying to get in there for whatever reason.

Also how do their guns work they must not shoot real bullets, or else guests would end up killing guests, but how can they only shoot the androids? I do think we'll see a guest kill a guest by mistake before the season ends. Maybe hit them with a rock or something instead of using the gun, but seeing how the hosts are so real looking  it's bound to happen at some point. 

Hmm yeah that would work. I just think with all the explosions, shrapnel and general violence someone is bound to get hurt. Plus that adds some moral questions for the park and the creators especially if it was an intentional killing.   

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Episode 2 spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

So I guess the hosts can definitely shoot at the guests with some type of bullet that only hurts the hosts(assuming the MiB is human), slap during rough sex and "attempt" to disarm when a guest is shooting everyone.

It interested me that they were gonna slow down the MiB because he was on a tear, and I wonder how they planned on doing it(maybe have his horse breakdown?).Obviously only the higher-ups know about who or what he is. Maybe Ford has him out there running wild as part of his new "original" plan? If only we could binge watch this.

Spoiler

I was thinking the MiB was part of Ford's original story as well, that the church steeple at the end of the episode was actually an X marking the entrance to the facility for the MiB. Ford seems bored with his "divinity" and wants his "children" to rebel. The MiB clearly has carte blanche to do whatever the hell he wants and I think Ford is the one sending him hints, like the map on the host's skull last week and this week's girl telling him where to find the entrance to the "maze".

Also wondering whether the phrase "these violent delights have violent ends" is a code/virus the MiB is implanting in the hosts.

2 hours ago, Darzin said:

Also how do their guns work they must not shoot real bullets, or else guests would end up killing guests, but how can they only shoot the androids? I do think we'll see a guest kill a guest by mistake before the season ends. Maybe hit them with a rock or something instead of using the gun, but seeing how the hosts are so real looking  it's bound to happen at some point. 

It seems like when rounds hit the Man in Black they just dissipate and do no damage, so clearly they aren't actual bullets.  I'd imagine the hosts are programmed so wherever the fake bullets hit them, a real bullet hole appears.  Having real bullets in any gun would obviously be a huge liability, as it would allow guests to accidentally kill each other.

Spoiler

^^Yeah, that quote definitely seems to be the trigger. I also wonder who the female was in the picture that the dad found(his trigger), and if she's significant at all?

That could've been the previous failure Dolores remembered. Maybe she went loca and killed everyone, since she is the oldest host there.

10 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Perhaps the guns the guests carry can distinguish guest from host? Now using a rock to potentially brain a fellow guest either accidentally or intentionally is a different story.  

My theory on the guns is that everyone is carrying fake guns, but the hosts are programmed to have their bodies react to a gunshot realistically. So when Teddy shot MiB, there were some small impacts, but nothing serious. Maybe the hosts have some kind of reactive skin that explodes when that happens and then their software kicks in the dying protocol, or wounded protocol.

But yeah, knives, rocks, and other hazards I don't know. When that couple was riding with the sheriff in the hills, I was wondering about the dangers of simply going on narrow trails and falling down the side. I'm sure the horses are programmed to be as sure footed as possible, and to not frighten as real horses could, but still, there are dangers.

Episode 2 spoilers... 

Spoiler

The 2 newcomers, William and Logan seem to work together and Logan mentions at some point that part is his trip is for work and he also mentions that his sister has been there before.  From this, I assumed that William is married to her, i.e. they are brothers in law and William and Logan both work for the family business (probs sis too).  From the first moment they show the two of them, I felt like their scenes are flashbacks.  i.e. the origin story of tMiB.  My partner has already told me that I am crazy so you all may as well do that too.  It is, however, really interesting to explore whether this family business is some way connected to Dr. Ford and how he turned from white hat to black hat.  I suspect it has something to do with his wife (Dr. Ford's daughter, maybe???).

Am I the only one who saw it that way? 

In Maeve's nightmare, the native chasing her turns into tMiB.  This really confused me, but it feels like perhaps that had happened multiple times and each time was slightly different, so the memories overlapped as dreams tend to do.

But one thing was clarified.  The girl checking William in was asking about his anxieties... She said that he could only get hurt as much as he wants... or something to that effect.  So that would explain tMiB because he wanted the hosts to fight back or it just wasn't fun.

Spoiler

Caught episode 2 early.  It was kinda bonkers.  I wanted them to stay more with the two newcomers as they entered the park and we could have gotten more of a sense of what the park is.

The tech didn't specifically know who the MiB was, he just said, "guests get whatever they want".

The scenes of the two newcomers being flashbacks is an interesting thought, but I don't think, at the very least, the previews for the next episodes going forward bear it out...

...but at the same time, I was struck with the thought that the shy newcomer seemed to react to Dolores in such a similar way to Teddy that it had to be significant...

I have no idea what Ford is planning, but I can't wait to see...

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Caught episode 2 early.  It was kinda bonkers.  I wanted them to stay more with the two newcomers as they entered the park and we could have gotten more of a sense of what the park is.

The tech didn't specifically know who the MiB was, he just said, "guests get whatever they want".

The scenes of the two newcomers being flashbacks is an interesting thought, but I don't think, at the very least, the previews for the next episodes going forward bear it out...

...but at the same time, I was struck with the thought that the shy newcomer seemed to react to Dolores in such a similar way to Teddy that it had to be significant...

I have no idea what Ford is planning, but I can't wait to see...

Spoiler

Actually the tech said, "that gentleman gets whatever he wants".  I believe the MiB is a host and only a select few know it, if not only Ford. But he's definitely a VIP either way.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:
  Hide contents

Actually the tech said, "that gentleman gets whatever he wants".  I believe the MiB is a host and only a select few know it, if not only Ford. But he's definitely a VIP either way.

I really didn't hear it that way.  I'll have to listen again...

Just finished the first two episodes and so far this series is everything I hoped it'd be. As for the Ed Harris/MiB character...

I thought I remember seeing in previews him talking to Ford/Hopkins in those glass offices like the other hosts. So he's either had a host based on his appearance and is human, has been programmed by Ford to think he's human, or is a direct correlation to the Yule Brenner character from the film and has become a true AI on his own. The latter choice seems off as people have mentioned there's the scene in the control room where they call him a guest.

9 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Just finished the first two episodes and so far this series is everything I hoped it'd be. As for the Ed Harris/MiB character...

Hide contents

I thought I remember seeing in previews him talking to Ford/Hopkins in those glass offices like the other hosts. So he's either had a host based on his appearance and is human, has been programmed by Ford to think he's human, or is a direct correlation to the Yule Brenner character from the film and has become a true AI on his own. The latter choice seems off as people have mentioned there's the scene in the control room where they call him a guest.

Spoiler

It isn't impossible though.  He says he's been around 30 years.  It doesn't appear that there are any 30 year employees among the Westworld staff...

As a sandbox video game player, my response is, "Westworld seems like a lot of fun but has a serious griefer problem. I wonder if there's a white hat roleplaying server. The immature assholes around here are really ruining my RP."

:)

12 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Hide contents

It isn't impossible though.  He says he's been around 30 years.  It doesn't appear that there are any 30 year employees among the Westworld staff...

They're really setting him up to be a guest though, so if he isn't...

there better be some really good explanation. Like Ford programmed him to be a guest to fool the staff. Maybe MiB is the "big picture" the writer couldn't figure out--true A.I.? I think the show is using MiB as a possible red herring. The Thandie Newton character, Dolores, and other hosts that got Ford's "reverie" update will likely be at the forefront of the sentient hosts as in the movie. But MiB and this maze promise to give us something more that the film didn't touch on.

Why MiB is likely a guest and not a direct Yule Brenner translation form the film:

*MiB cannot be killed by host bullets, while other hosts can

*Mentions several times coming to WW for "30 years"

*Told Dolores he "paid" to have her fight him

*Tells Teddy, "I always wondered why they paired some of you off..." This shows he definitely sees himself apart form the hosts

*Control room guy refers to him as a guest

Archived