HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think it is way more interesting that the show has spun the movie on its head. The villains are the humans and the heroes are the hosts.

It's reminding me a bit of Dollhouse, which may not have had any androids but the groups of characters we are following seem similar. There are the dolls/hosts who are gradually becoming aware of their surroundings, the scientists/security looking after and controlling them, the shadowing corporate overlords who may have ulterior motives and the rich spoiled customers indulging their fantasies.

This is also set 30 years after the opening of westworld unlike the movie where the park is new. So this could almost be like a sequel, rather than a pure remake. I just think it is way more interesting if MiB is a human. He is trying to get to the heart of Westworld. So what could his reasons be? Rival company espionage is a good idea. But how come he is a VIP guest that can do whatever he wants, even at the detriment to a storyline? Who IS he? Just another host would lose something for me.

I think there are enough genuine hosts for us to follow that having the MiB also being a host might feel a bit redundant. I think he is a more interesting character if he's just a human who has become obsessed with the world.

The fact that the MiB is called a "guest" so much doesn't dissuade me from thinking he's an original host evolved. Is any other character called "guest" as much as this one? It seems a little too obvious for me.

24 minutes ago, Baitac said:

The fact that the MiB is called a "guest" so much doesn't dissuade me from thinking he's an original host evolved. Is any other character called "guest" as much as this one? It seems a little too obvious for me.

That is true, I feel like if he were human he wouldn't be so interested in finding the entrance to the "maze". 

6 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Also Curious to see what new storyline Ford will add to westworld.  

My theory: it's not just simply a new story. It's a complete overhaul of the story system.

My secondary issue with the "groundhog day" aspect of the resets was it would become stale after a while. It's sustainable over the course of a 90 minute movie, but not over the many hours course of a TV show. So Ford is doing away with the resets. Every host will retain their memories of the prior day and will act based on a wide range of parameters, combined with a RNG as well as reacting to external stimulus.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

- assuming that isn't in the past :P A guy has to have his dreams/crazy conspiracies right (this is someone who thought Kylo = Luke was a possibility)

Absolutely! You should hold onto the last glimmer of hope re your theory and never let go. And be prepared to come here if proven right and say "Ha!!!! See - I told you all so!"

I'd advise you don't got betting the house on it, however. :lol:

On 10/11/2016 at 10:13 AM, red snow said:

From what we've seen it's get up, go into town. If no-one interupts her she goes to do some painting. If she goes home on time she is probably killed by the bandits (unless someone diverts the bandit storyline). I think her encounter with Teddy is probably the standard (and the painting is an alt routine) program too. Thereason for this is the second episodes "the hosts practice on each other". Her hanging out with Teddy is a good way for her to practice the "girl next door" routine and I'm pretty sure this is how they referred to her at the end of the episode.

I think I read her bio on the viral website they created, and it's basically "if a guest helps her and goes home with her, they can save her from bandits at the ranch house and then (implied) she'll be so grateful she'll have sex with said guest, or whatever they want."

22 minutes ago, Biter said:

What song do you hope to hear on the player piano in the next episode? I was thinking of Strawberry Fields Forever.

"the drugs don't work" by the verve would be pretty apt for a scene with MiB in it

2 hours ago, Electric Bass said:

I think I read her bio on the viral website they created, and it's basically "if a guest helps her and goes home with her, they can save her from bandits at the ranch house and then (implied) she'll be so grateful she'll have sex with said guest, or whatever they want."

That's what I found the most creepy about that scene (moreso than the dragging into the stable). It was the fact it was scripted as dark wish fulfillment. Like Ford said "westworld's" story editor is a creepy man.

6 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Absolutely! You should hold onto the last glimmer of hope re your theory and never let go. And be prepared to come here if proven right and say "Ha!!!! See - I told you all so!"

I'd advise you don't got betting the house on it, however. :lol:

No bets! Just eating humble pie or basking in "I told you so". Usually I wind up jotting failed ideas down as "twists/outcomes I could use in a story of my own", so no loss either way :)

16 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think the little boy is a host based on Ford's BROTHER not himself...the little boy says  something like "We wanted to climb to the top of the mountain. But daddy said we weren't allowed. Then Tommy dared me" and Ford says "And here we are" just the way he says it...and when the boy talks about Tommy not believing something Ford cuts him short...so we know Ford's name? 

I toyed with the idea that he was either a young host that Ford based on himself, or a young host Ford based on a potential son. But I haven't really thought through the feasibility of these ideas

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Did anyone else notice that the area Ford used to access the surface looked just like a rundown version of the terminal that William and Logan arrived at? 

you're just baiting me, right? 30 years old I bet

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Did anyone else notice that the area Ford used to access the surface looked just like a rundown version of the terminal that William and Logan arrived at? 

Yes, and at the time it did give me some pause, but for now I'm still not on board the flashback theory. They could just have a standard design for the terminal, and the only difference is one is being used, thus regularly maintained, the other one is not.

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Yes, and at the time it did give me some pause, but for now I'm still not on board the flashback theory. They could just have a standard design for the terminal, and the only difference is one is being used, thus regularly maintained, the other one is not.

It's possible but through my eyes had the same abandoned look as the lower levels where they store the decommissioned hosts.  

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

The ONLY thing that hints at MiB being a host (to me) is saying he was born there. But he says "in a SENSE I was born here" the blokes in westworld call him guest. "This guest has taken out a whole posse...want me to slow him down?" "That gentleman gets whatever he wants"

On reflection, the idea that the MiB gets whatever he wants, I am starting to think this hints to a deeper connection between him and Ford...

Archived