New Girl Season 3 Spoiler Thread

Sci-2

Winston doing a puzzle was corny. Kinda felt like they just gave up with his character, though I guess they needed to address the Nick/Jess and Schmidt/Cece/Elizabeth stuff.

Cece believing Winston wanted her panties....stupid. Winston being color blind....stupid.

Nick and Jess barely registered to me.

There were a couple of pretty funny moments, but the characters felt somewhat off to me too. Particularly I can't believe Schmidt would really be able to pull that off on Cece and Elizabeth, both of whom are thoroughly established, intelligent characters with short tempers, and now suddenly they're reduced to Chick A and Chick B in a very thinly plotted farce, with nothing to do but walk through the door at the wrong moment like they're in a corridor in a Scooby Doo house.

Winston was the meta interpretation of the plot. His inability to put the pieces of the puzzle together was indicative of the characters new and jumble up relationships, boundaries and all that sort of thing. I thought it was a good use of his character. Especially at the end when the puzzle is "together."

Like I said in the other thread, a disappointing episode with a few funny moments. Inconsistency has always been this show's problem (that and what to do with Winston), so I am sure it will be back to form.

But I agree that the characters felt off. The acting especially from Nick and Cece was also below their previous standards - far below in the case of Cece.

All that said I thought the scene where Nick and Jess coerce the kid to give away his bracelet was pretty funny.

Ep 2 was good. Nick-Jess was really good, makes me happy to think they can pull off a post hook-up season that comes after the "will they, won't they?".

Winston threatening to kill the cat was weird, I guess it harkens back to the overboard prank stuff. Sad to see Brenda Song leave, actually thought Daisy and Winston had a great dynamic.

Even the stupid love triangle of Cece/Schmidtt/Elizabeth wasn't too bad. But I suspect this is gonna get old quick.

theres the nick. lot of good subtle stuff from him.

and winston was good too. "dont get too attached" might have been the best line of the episode.

and i still hate the schmidt dating two girls storyline, but i did enjoy his stunned reaction to actually getting away with the two dates at one party bit.

I have to admit I found tiny cat noose completely hilarious. I'm not proud.

There's something about cats that makes fictional violence towards them hilarious (see also Tom and Jerry) in a way that would never be the case with dogs. Probably something to do with their cool aloofness.

The show is still as inconsistent as ever, with funny bits here and there surrounded by a lot of tedium.

Well so far everything is ok except S/C/E triangle. It's the worst story ever. Just get it over with please. Whoever said it will get too old soon was wrong it was old in the '90s and now is just sad sad sad.

Winston however is just hilarious. Puzzle...great...cat killing spree...great. Kermit the frog is brown...funny. :lol:

Jess and nick were so obviously gonna happen from episode one I'm not invested in the story at all. It's same thing that happens in every show. Firs season or two...the obvious pairing...they hook up...they are together for a while...they break up over something...but they stay friends/roommates...they start seeing other people but are both cool with it...they break up with other ppl...they get back together for series finale. It walks and talks like a duck so I'm pretty much just going through the motions with no interest.

I'm really enjoying Winston this season (but I liked him quite a bit when I've rewatched seasons one and two).

and i still hate the schmidt dating two girls storyline, but i did enjoy his stunned reaction to actually getting away with the two dates at one party bit.

:agree: Especially about Schmidt's face when he hit away with it. That story line should last no longer than four episodes max.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder at a TV show than the line "guys, I think it's time to start a puzzle!" Something about it being so unexpected and perfect (you knew Winston has to be terrible at puzzles) just absolutely killed me.

Killing the cat was pretty damn hilarious too.

Jess and nick were so obviously gonna happen from episode one I'm not invested in the story at all. It's same thing that happens in every show. Firs season or two...the obvious pairing...they hook up...they are together for a while...they break up over something...but they stay friends/roommates...they start seeing other people but are both cool with it...they break up with other ppl...they get back together for series finale. It walks and talks like a duck so I'm pretty much just going through the motions with no interest.

I agree with this in general but I think new girl has handled this well. I'm not invested in it the way some might have been invested in Ross and Rachel.

I don't think they're going for that though. They're mining it for laughs without attempting to make you care if they make it

Well so far everything is ok except S/C/E triangle. It's the worst story ever. Just get it over with please. Whoever said it will get too old soon was wrong it was old in the '90s and now is just sad sad sad.

Winston however is just hilarious. Puzzle...great...cat killing spree...great. Kermit the frog is brown...funny. :lol:

One of the older threads linked an article talking about this. Their goal with Nick and Jess is actually not do that. They want to show that a working relationship can be dramatic and funny.

Archived