Littlefinger's Sigil

ImpinAintEasy

Littlefinger's Sigil is, of course, the Mockingbird. I've always wondered why he choose this bird and what if anything we can decipher about him based on this choice. Is it just another one of his japes or a more telling choice?

The behavior section of the above link was the most telling, I think. Being able to mimic any other bird's call reflects Littlefinger's ability to jump from one power structure to another, mimicking their motivations untill their usefullness to him is used up.

Our real world mockingbird is also listed as being very territorial. Littlefinger displays this characteristic as well. When Lysa's increasing madness begins to threaten Littlefinger's control over her and whatever designs he has for the Vale, he shows her the door and removes her from the gameboard.

I was wondering if anyone had anything else to add about everyone's favorite Mimus polyglottus? (many-tounged mimic, for those who didn't check the link)

*(having watched many nature shows i've seen this bird's ability to mimic demonstraited and yes they can do car horns and police sirens amoung many other city sounds. There is one that is famous for attacking people walking through its territory in NYC)

GRRM's choice for LF's sigil kills a whole flock of birds with one stone. To the several reasons you've already pointed out, I'd add that the mockingbird has a reputation for being gentle, harmless, never presenting any danger to others (here's a famous example). This is exactly the persona LF cultivates very deliberately and effectively: He's masquerading as the lord who's too lowborn to be of any threat to anyone, he can just be useful to them while never outshining them... which of course is just a mask he wears, much like the mockingbird isn't his real sigil.

I'd also add that LF "mocks" people constantly, often to their faces. His feigned weakness aside, To Kill a Mockingbird presents a highly romantisized version of the bird.

"Life is not a song, and you may learn that one day to your sorrow."

How much of LF's motives are altruistic (ie Sansa reminds him of Cat) or based on revenge? Brandon Stark humiliated him in their dual and Cat refused LF her favor.

Archived