GRRM: "Walter White vs. Westeros most evil"

AemonEightstrings

"Walter White is a bigger monster than anyone in Westeros," the "Game of Thrones" author writes, adding: "I need to do something about that."

What do you think GRRM meant by "a bigger monster"?

Here's my list of most evil in Westeros, who IMO are all bigger monsters than Walter White.

Bolton's Bastard- Hunts innocent women like game and skins them slowly piece by piece, allowing them as much suffering as possible before a painful, prolonged death.

Ser Gregor Clegane- A known sadist, with a taste for raping and butchering peasants. He's also bashed in more than one infants skull since the beginning of the series.

Cersei Lannister- Stops at nothing to get what she wants and always blames everyone else for the suffering she causes others. I.e. The dwarf heads, Melara Hetherspoon(who Cersei murdered as a preteen), Lady Stokeworth and Senelle, committing regicide on her husband, the blue bard, etc..etc..etc...

Qyburn- Experimenting on live human beings, who aren't sedated takes a certain kind of psychopath.

Agree/disagree? Who are some of the other most evil characters in Westeros?

BB has been my favorite show on television since the first season, and while I'm glad GRRM is just as enthusiastic about it as I am, I'm not sure Walter White is truly a bigger monster than these choice characters in Asoiaf, who seem to actually get off on torture, a textbook trait of sadism, that I've yet to see in WW.

I`m not sure the context in the quote, nor have I seen the latest episode of Breaking Bad yet but I think GRRM might mean that Walter White is a special kind of monster. This man has put his life and the life of his family on the line and doesn`t seem to have a single of amount of remorse about it. He`s willing to sacrifice everything - including the friendships and lives of his closest family member - to meet his own ends.

Sure, he doesn`t torture or kill with pleasure. But he is a monster.

GRRM's being flatteringly sarcastic. To me, Walt's monster points stack up largely because of how deluded and hypocritical he is. One of his actions to protect is brother-in-law made me think, ok, lose a few monster points...then his revolting actions toward his partner/surrogate son put him right back.

Though Walter White vs. Littlefinger...who'd come out alive? :cheers:

I`m not sure the context in the quote, nor have I seen the latest episode of Breaking Bad yet but I think GRRM might mean that Walter White is a special kind of monster. This man has put his life and the life of his family on the line and doesn`t seem to have a single of amount of remorse about it. He`s willing to sacrifice everything - including the friendships and lives of his closest family member - to meet his own ends.

Sure, he doesn`t torture or kill with pleasure. But he is a monster.

I like this response and I was sort of thinking along the same lines. The drug empire, his education and cunning, the lying and manipulation all make Walter White like you said a special kind of monster, who maybe causes more suffering on a larger scale when you consider how many lives his product has destroyed.

GRRM's being flatteringly sarcastic. To me, Walt's monster points stack up largely because of how deluded and hypocritical he is. One of his actions to protect is brother-in-law made me think, ok, lose a few monster points...then his revolting actions toward his partner/surrogate son put him right back.

Two of the best schemers in the history of fiction. It should be a pay per view event

Hai, im Florina and have never seen a single episode of Breaking Bad. I also give fuck all in the way of spoilers for that show. So...like wtf is GRRM talking about? Was he being sassy? Or is this Walter White chucklehead really that much of a dick? To out-asshole Ramsay is a pretty big step here....

Walt always wins.

Jesse said it himself when he was conspiring with Frank and Gomez. Look how that turned out.

Walter White >>>>>>>>>>>>> Littlefinger

Walt is a much more complex and well written character than any of GRRM's bad guys. He is a true anti-hero and multifaceted bad guy and he does not need to be tortured and lose body parts and go through a 'redemption arc' to make him an interesting and likeable character. The awesome writing does that. One minute I am cheering for him, the other I want him to die slowly. Great character.

For there to be a Walter White in Westeros it has to be someone seemingly incorruptible and innocent in nature that falls from Grace. I wonder who GRRM has in mind if his comment was serious and he tries to out evil Walter. The evilest people are always those no one expects.

I don't believe Walter is evil, just a man who stops at nothing to protect his family and gets carried away with it. Reminds me a lot of Tywin Lannister, almost built his empire from the ground through intelligence and fear. I think to some extent Walter is Misunderstood but not as selfish as Tywin. I am team Jessie however haha!

Welt, Walt is more "concious" about his evildoings, like he know what he's doing and knows its wrong. Unlike Ramsay, Gregor and Joffrey who are just kind of insane. Walt seem's more compelling because we see how he becomes "bad", unlike most of ASOIAF villian' s who are just insane, mentally unstable ambitious and selfish, Walt's motivation was his "family", wither that was true or not by the end is debatable, but he had noble intentions at first. Even Tywin really only sought power for his family. Because of this Walt seems more like the "monster" because of the evil born out of such noble intentions at first.

Archived