The Big Bear in the room

TheZone

It's the whole "friendzone" thing, as if a woman owes the man something just because he's not a jerk. But oh, Jorah was actually a spy.

He was lucky Dany didn't execute him. She should have.

Barristan the Bold is way more useful than lame Jorah. And I still think Jorah will harm her. She should have killed him.

It's the whole "friendzone" thing, as if a woman owes the man something just because he's not a jerk. But oh, Jorah was actually a spy.

Barristan the Bold is way more useful than lame Jorah. And I still think Jorah will harm her. She should have killed him.

Finally

I don't really like Jorah, but he wasn't included in Quaithe's list of people to watch out for, so maybe he won't hurt her. Of course, Quaithe could be wrong or lying, so who knows

I honestly found Jorah's motivation to go back to Dany a bit implausible. Yeah, I get that he was desperate and love-struck, but why would he think Dany would forgive him just for bringing Tyrion as a prisoner?

Jorah to some men represents the stereotypical "friend-zoned" guy. Getting friend-zoned by his object of desire is the worst nightmare of every lonely amorous male.

So Jorah carries their flag. You can see this in the "Jorah Fedora" meme that pops up on other websites.

I think getting murdered or hated and never want to be seen again is worse...

I am sorry to disagree but Dany would be lost without Jorah. Yes, he loves her, he is inappropriate about it, but at the end of the day, he saved her life, he supported her and has been her most faithful man...

Well, Ser Jorah did give good counsel and would have continued to do so if Dany decided to keep him. But it may be that you're right in saying that he might harm her. When he showed obvious signs of love for Dany he struck me as a "if I can't have you then no one else will" kind of guy.

Bolded part: Oh, boy... This isn't gonna end well (counting posts to inevitable Dany argument)

Now, in all seriousness, I don't see the two of them together (guess my gender :)). And yes, if we call LF and Tyrion pedophiles, Jorah is too... I am not hoping for his death, but I would like him to honor his father's last wish.

How's Tyrion a paedo?

Yes, Jorah is as much a creep as Littlefinger or Tyrion. Still, he's given her good advice on every aspect except the personal one.

Barristan is doing nothing at all. He's an atypical yes-man as he doesn't tries to carry favor, but that he does offer no counsel unless prodded and even then never against Dany's opinions, even when they are obviously atrociously bad.

I never thought of Barristan like that, but I think you're a right: a bit of a yes man. He's been promoted to a position beyond his abilities: he's a fantastic knight, but is less brilliant as a counsellor. Jorah, on the other hand, as several others - including yourself - have pointed out, gives great advice. Most of the time anyway.

I don't really like Jorah, but he wasn't included in Quaithe's list of people to watch out for, so maybe he won't hurt her. Of course, Quaithe could be wrong or lying, so who knows

I honestly found Jorah's motivation to go back to Dany a bit implausible. Yeah, I get that he was desperate and love-struck, but why would he think Dany would forgive him just for bringing Tyrion as a prisoner?

I think you answered your own question. Any excuse to see her again is good enough for him.

I never cared much for Jorah in the books. Iain Glen, otoh, makes him admirable; I'd want show-Jorah to get back in her good graces.

Yes, I watched the show before reading, and Jorah was one of my favourite characters (and I never even really twigged that he was in love love with her, I think they really toned that down on the show so far. Has he even kissed her on the show? I assume things will heat up this season but). In the books he comes off much worse, and there's definitely a slightly creepy edge to him. I think he'll cause her some harm in the future, although I'm not sure it'll be deliberate. But his feelings create a conflict of interest and, sooner or later, good advice notwithstanding, having him around will prove to be a fatal error. Or near fatal error, depending on how soon things come to a head, and assuming he even sees her again.

Of course, Martin could go another way and have him betray Dany for his ex-wife instead, isn't she kicking around on the periphery of the story?

My question: what was in that last report from Qarth? Why was Jorah still spying on her, after he'd foiled the assassination attempt? Surely he's thrown in with her by that point?

I think the orignal opinion of this is completely off basis. As even stated, he did not now her, therefore felt no honor towards her. While we know that he was "reporting" on her, we also know that he could have easily killed her himself then got away and plucked his pardon from the Lannister/Baratheons. But he didn't, this does not at all wash out his sins, but it does show that he was never entirely in it for himself.

As for him being with her, I don't think they honestly SHOULD be together, but it makes sense in a lot of ways. She did rely on him, and he got her an army. All of HIS advice has gotten her to where she is now.

plus you are trying to apply modern ways of thinking to a book set in AN IMAGINARY MEDIEVAL WORLD. It was actually less than a 100 years ago that most of the world were still making arranged marriages and it was common for someone to be wifed up in their teens.

i see no support whatsoever for your opinions in the books. He saved her numerous times, and Barristan is a skilled guardsman, but it was Jorahs advice that got her an army, put her into a place of power, and also protected her.

If you have scales, and these scales are weighing the benefit of Jorah to Danys cause/person to the harm of Dany's cause/person, I think you will find the scales much tipped in favor of the benefit.

i see no support whatsoever for your opinions in the books. He saved her numerous times, and Barristan is a skilled guardsman, but it was Jorahs advice that got her an army, put her into a place of power, and also protected her.

If you have scales, and these scales are weighing the benefit of Jorah to Danys cause/person to the harm of Dany's cause/person, I think you will find the scales much tipped in favor of the benefit.

Are you forgetting that she would not need an army, should would be still with Drogo, it was the hit on pregnant Dany, that sent him on the conquest.

Doesn't Barristan admit that Jorah might be helpful? It's after Daenerys is kidnapped by Drogon, and he wonders if Daario or Jorah would have been able to move quickly enough to intervene. I don't think that he's right that Jorah would have made a difference here but I think he brings something to the table as part of Daenerys's team and he hasn't been effectively replaced yet. I think it's kind of silly to suggest that Daenerys should hook up with Jorah though (I mean, she can benefit from his advice and counsel without sleeping with him, just like she doesn't sleep with Reznak or Barristan).

Are you forgetting that she would not need an army, should would be still with Drogo, it was the hit on pregnant Dany, that sent him on the conquest.

Exactly, yet it was not Jorah that told Dany to use the maegi. If Dany had preferred to use another healer, or if Drogo had actually listened to MMD, then THAT conquest would have went on, and Dany could possibly be on the throne right now. Therefore, Jorah would have inadvertently started the conquest that got Dany back on the throne.

It appears that even when he tries to hurt her, he is helping her. :P

Exactly, yet it was not Jorah that told Dany to use the maegi. If Dany had preferred to use another healer, or if Drogo had actually listened to MMD, then THAT conquest would have went on, and Dany could possibly be on the throne right now. Therefore, Jorah would have inadvertently started the conquest that got Dany back on the throne.

It appears that even when he tries to hurt her, he is helping her. :P

Yes continuing to send information to the people who tried to kill her while pregnant is really actually helping.

'Pero the first of His name' wrote:

I am serious now, can anyone give one plausible scenario in which Dany does not end up with Vic for a little bit?

====================================================================================

Several. Moqorro may contrive Vic's death. Daario might accomplish it himself. Barristan (and maybe Jorah and Tyrion) could talk her out of it. Whatever Victarion's hopes, I don't anticipate a romance with Daenerys.

Yes continuing to send information to the people who tried to kill her while pregnant is really actually helping.

you are stating this like the information actually harmed her. If you forget, it was his information that almost got her killed, yet it was also HE WHO SAVED HER. I really think you just don't like the guy so you are trying to defame him lol. which is ok, but just say you are doing that

Archived