Small questions v.10015

Angalin

In a Got there's a description of the weirwoods crying. I can't find and am away from pdf. Any one shoot me quote?

Also, any further weirwoods crying that anyone can remember, I dont know if there's more.

From a Sam chapter in Storm of Swords:

All wildling villages looked much alike, though. A huge weirwood grew in the center of this one... but a white tree did not mean Whitetree, necessarily. Hadn’t the weirwood at Whitetree been bigger than this one? Maybe he was remembering it wrong. The face carved into the bone pale trunk was long and sad; red tears of dried sap leaked from its eyes. Was that how it looked when we came north? Sam couldn’t recall.

From Bran's time-traveling weirwood experience in the last book:

Eddard Stark lifted his head and looked long at the weirwood, frowning, but he did not speak. He cannot see me, Bran realized, despairing. He wanted to reach out and touch him, but all that he could do was watch and listen. I am in the tree. I am inside the heart tree, looking out of its red eyes, but the weirwood cannot talk, so I can’t.

Eddard Stark resumed his prayer. Bran felt his eyes fill up with tears. But were they his own tears, or the weirwood’s? If I cry, will the tree begin to weep?

I think she is going to, or originally was supposed to, have something to do with (un)Gregor's death. From when Bran was in his coma seeing everything:

It's possible that between ASoS and AFfC Martin changed his mind* about Gregor for whatever reason, and the scene with Robin's doll was written to fulfill that prophecy. Though really, why would the Ghost of High Heart be prophecizing the destruction of a doll?

*Sorta like how Dany "passes beneath the shadow" of Drogon in the last book, since Martin has said he no longer has time for her to travel to Asshai like was originally planned.

Nothing comes up in a search of the SSM section so I'm guessing he's just never been asked about Craster.

When did Martin say he originally had Dany traveling to Asshai??? Link please... I must know now...

When did Martin say he originally had Dany traveling to Asshai??? Link please... I must know now...

Sorry, I can't find it in the SSMs by searching for Asshai. I could have sworn I read it somewhere, maybe someone else remembers. It's possible he didn't mention Asshai specifically and said sometime like "dany will not be going east." Without the exact wording it's hard to search for. There's also the possibility I'm just not remembering right.

Since Bran has awakened his "greensight", will he also get "Green Dreams" of the future in the coming novels?

IIRC they are different things, jojen has greendreams, but he is no greenseer, so it might work the same the other way around.

Does Mance know about Jon's little babyswapping trick? I can't remember anyone letting him in on the secret. Wonder how he would feel about it if he was told...

He can't know, there are very few people that do and if he knew, mel should know too...

Sorry, I can't find it in the SSMs by searching for Asshai. I could have sworn I read it somewhere, maybe someone else remembers. It's possible he didn't mention Asshai specifically and said sometime like "dany will not be going east." Without the exact wording it's hard to search for. There's also the possibility I'm just not remembering right.

He certainly said that dany will not be going to asshai...

But I don't believe he ever intended to send her to Asshai...

Didn't he just tease we might be seeing Asshai, but that he wouldn't say if it was in the present or past?

Well he might have woken up one day and thought maybe a trip to asshai, but then realised it did not work...

IIRC it was a tease only in the manner that we might see asshai, but only in flashbacks

All the things I did find saying "no you wont see Asshai/maybe in flashbacks" were post abandonment of the Five Year Gap. Again I could be totally wrong, but I have it in my head that he did at one point intend for her to travel east, and then changed his mind. Searching for "East" in the SSMs returns 185 results and I don't really have time right now to sort through them all. If I ever find it rest assured I will post it.

Is there any prescribed course of study at the Citadel? I know that people study various subjects and get links that are forged into their maester's chain...but if someone were, say, to make a chain of only silver links, or only bronze links, would they be able to swear their maesters oath and go to a Hold? Or do the acolytes have to have at least 1 link of healing, 1 of science, 1 of ravenry, 1 of finance, etc. in their chain in order to go out into the world?

Is there any prescribed course of study at the Citadel? I know that people study various subjects and get links that are forged into their maester's chain...but if someone were, say, to make a chain of only silver links, or only bronze links, would they be able to swear their maesters oath and go to a Hold? Or do the acolytes have to have at least 1 link of healing, 1 of science, 1 of ravenry, 1 of finance, etc. in their chain in order to go out into the world?

A chain needs all sorts of metals just like a land needs all sorts of people. That's Luwin and Aemon's take on it anyway.

But I haven't found a solid curriculum that has to be followed though.

From pate's prologue we learn that you need a certain amount of chains to advance levels in the citadel. I saw no indication that you can get several chains in one discipline. You get a chain because you mastered an area of study, so im pretty sure its just one chain per subject. So you'd need to study multiple subjects to get multiple chains to advance your position in the citadel.

edit: or maybe not. from a clash of kings, Tryion observing Pycelle's chain notes "it seemed to Tryion that the gold and silver and platinum links far outnumbered those of baser metals." So i gusse you can get several of one kind of link. idk that's confusing stuff.

on that note, does anyone know what gold/silver/platnium links represnt, and what relevance that could have toward pycelle's character?

From pate's prologue we learn that you need a certain amount of chains to advance levels in the citadel. I saw no indication that you can get several chains in one discipline. You get a chain because you mastered an area of study, so im pretty sure its just one chain per subject. So you'd need to study multiple subjects to get multiple chains to advance your position in the citadel.

edit: or maybe not. from a clash of kings, Tryion observing Pycelle's chain notes "it seemed to Tryion that the gold and silver and platinum links far outnumbered those of baser metals." So i gusse you can get several of one kind of link. idk that's confusing stuff.

on that note, does anyone know what gold/silver/platnium links represnt, and what relevance that could have toward pycelle's character?

Found this http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Maesters

The collar signifies that maesters do not serve themselves, but are instead servants of all of Westeros. The collar consists of several links of different types of metal. These chains are formed from every metal known to man, but almost no maester will ever wear them all. Maesters do not remove the chain ever, not even when sleeping.[5]

According to semi-canon sources, it is possible to earn multiple links of the same metal.[6]

These metals include:

• Black iron (Ravenry)
  • Brass
  • Bronze (Astronomy)
  • Copper (History)
  • Electrum
  • Yellow Gold (Economics)
  • Iron (Warcraft)
  • Lead
  • Pale steel (Smithing)
  • Pewter
  • Platinum
  • Red gold
  • Silver (Medicine and healing)
  • Steel
  • Tin
  • Valyrian steel (Magic and the occult) - Only one in one hundred holds a link of Valyrian steel; the study of magic is looked down upon by most Maesters.

Archived