Jon and Rhaegar - comparison

Ice Turtle

There are few threads about Jon vs. Robb but somehow I was always more interested in comparing Jon's abilities and virtues with the man whom many believe to be his biological father. Is Jon only a pale shadow of the man Rhaegar could have been,or is he the only real person close to becoming larger than life figure that is Rhaegar's myth even better than Rhaegar himself? Who is (was) more intelligent, better strategist, swordman or jouster? Which one was a better leader? Would they be able to deal with each other's tasks (NW, rebellion) better if their situations have been reversed? What do you think?

They both are emo. Rhaegar is obviously far more attractive and fits the mold of a romantic hero perfectly. Jon is more plain and simple, I think he is described as having average looks. Rhaegar was probably the better swordsman but I don't think he would have been well suited to the life of the Night's Watch. Jon's controversial decisions are regarding the wildlings/immigration and Rhaegar's controversial decisions involve prophecy/romance. In that sense Rhaegar looks kind of silly compared to Jon but this is a fantasy so maybe Rhaegar was onto something.

'Ned's Epic Beard' wrote:

Jon is the copy of his father, Ned. He is better in everything compared to rheagar

==================================================================

Agreed, other than Rhaegar was more bookish and a better musician. Prophesy or no prophesy, Jon would never run off with a lord's daughter and started a terrible war.

They both are emo. Rhaegar is obviously far more attractive and fits the mold of a romantic hero perfectly. Jon is more plain and simple, I think he is described as having average looks. Rhaegar was probably the better swordsman but I don't think he would have been well suited to the life of the Night's Watch. Jon's controversial decisions are regarding the wildlings/immigration and Rhaegar's controversial decisions involve prophecy/romance. In that sense Rhaegar looks kind of silly compared to Jon but this is a fantasy so maybe Rhaegar was onto something.

Jon's also still growing into his body. He may end up being very attractive. I was awkward looking as a teenager. Not so much now.

I think Rhaegar is comparable to Hector of Troy, a melancholy figure who is and represents everything he is supposed to be, but is doomed, and meets his fate bravely.

Jon is similar, but also resembles Julius Caesar, someone who comes into power, makes (arguably) many decisions that are necessary although not popular, and in a very similar way, is betrayed.

Jon was not sheltered and is not, I guess you can say - naive - like I think Rhaegar was

Jon was naive and sheltered. Look at his views on the Watch, knighthood and life in general. The difference however is that Rhaegar didn't have a blacksmith to slap him back into reality.

Jon has actually achieved something of note in his life. Major difference between Rhaegar and him right there.

Jon was naive and sheltered. Look at his views on the Watch, knighthood and life in general. The difference however is that Rhaegar didn't have a blacksmith to slap him back into reality.

Jon has actually achieved something of note in his life. Major difference between Rhaegar and him right there.

Complete different upbringings.

Rhaegar was raised as the heir to be the next king. Jon was raised as a bastard child, sure, with some privileges that comes with living in a castle and a loving father, but still different, not AS sheltered I guess.

True, Jon was naive and sheltered, but he saw more of the raw side of human nature, in my opinion, than Rhaegar did; and was far less protected. Jon had the protection, while growing up, of being a great lord's son, but his bastard status made him an outcast in his father's house, or at least separate and unequal to his father's other children. And he had a stepmother who, while she never harmed him, never showed him any warmth either. In contrast, Rhaegar was the golden boy of the Seven Kingdoms; everyone seems to have loved, admired, or at least respected him; Westeros was his oyster and he was expected to inherit it, with the approval of everyone, upon the eventual death of his increasingly 'eccentric' father.

I think anyone growing up in Jon's position would be moody as an adolescent; whereas Rhaegar comes across as a pampered prince who had much time and evidently not much responsibility on his hands, with sufficient leisure to become not only conversant but obsessed with prophecies and lore.

Rhaegar excelled in everything he did (per Barristan), and it seems that Jon did, as well (his PoV how Catelyn was miffed whenever he bested Robb, which was in nearly everything - given that Robb is definitely not portrayed as incompetent, that can only mean that Jon is highly skilled/intelligent).

Both of them enigmas even to friends. Barristan laments that Rhaegar kept secrets from him. Despite his devotion, JonCon wasn't in Rhaegar's innermost circle, so there is a lot he didn't about Rhaegar. A couple of complaints about Jon in ADWD is that he doesn't explain himself well enough to the NW and that he distances himself from friends. Also look at how shocked Sam was that Jon orchestrated the baby switch; he never thought Jon would do such a thing.

Archived