3 mothers die giving birth

TheUnknownTargaryen

Deliveries were not easy in medieval times. Due to poor hygienic conditions, improper medical care, death from childbirth complications were not that rare... As for narrative, we could add Minisa Whent. She also died delivering a child... I don't see anyone claiming Cat is third head of dragon :)

Deliveries were not easy in medieval times. Due to poor hygienic conditions, improper medical care, death from childbirth complications were not that rare... As for narrative, we could add Minisa Whent. She also died delivering a child... I don't see anyone claiming Cat is third head of dragon :)

She didn't die giving birth to Cat though.

Only death can pay for life, and if Lyanna was Jon's mother, then three main characters "killing" their mothers at birth has to mean something.

She didn't die giving birth to Cat though.

Only death can pay for life, and if Lyanna was Jon's mother, then three main characters "killing" their mothers at birth has to mean something.

Yes, Minisa died giving birth to 4th child with Hoster, stillborn baby, but that doesn't change the fact it was no extraordinary thing...

I am sorry, but IMO, deaths of each their mother has much different narrative point than to show us three characters are united. Joanna died, and Tywin became another man. She died, which shaped Tyrion's relationship with Tywin. Lyanna's death gave us entire Jon's character, his bastard status. As for Dany, well, Rhaella was the one that raise her children normally, without craziness of return and demands of IT. All in all, deaths of the mothers mattered but not in the way "death for life"

Yes, Minisa died giving birth to 4th child with Hoster, stillborn baby, but that doesn't change the fact it was no extraordinary thing...

I am sorry, but IMO, deaths of each their mother has much different narrative point than to show us three characters are united. Joanna died, and Tywin became another man. She died, which shaped Tyrion's relationship with Tywin. Lyanna's death gave us entire Jon's character, his bastard status. As for Dany, well, Rhaella was the one that raise her children normally, without craziness of return and demands of IT. All in all, deaths of the mothers mattered but not in the way "death for life"

I think she had 3 stillborn boys... could be wrong

:agree: Tyrion's mother dies and it leaves him at the mercy of Tywin who at least contributes to Tyrion's twisted side, Lyanna's death means Jon lives life as a bastard, well cared for but still a bastard in name, and Dany losing her mother leaves her to be raised by Vis who eventually becomes abusive at times. So the fact that they all survived and developed into decent people in spite of all that just adds to their character.

Is there anything to this? I don't see how it can just be a coincidence that Tyrion, Dany and Jon all lost their mothers from childbirth complications. Any ideas?

It is interesting, and I would add that they all lost their mothers to their own births, but I don't necessarily think it means they are all related. Dalla also died as a result of her son's birth.

I just find it funny when people try to draw parallel's between westeros medicine and medieval medicine..

Maesters much? birth control? mmmkay.

Uh you do know that there ARE abortifacient teas, right? And how are masters that much better than medieval doctors?

Giving birth in Westeros sucks just as much as in the Middle Ages.

Look at how many deliveries require a C-section nowadays, and imagine women in the book needing a C-section. 85% at the least would die during the procedure. I don't even want to imagine how horrible it must have been.

Regardless, it is interesting that the birth of those particular characters caused the death of their mothers.

I don't think there's any connection between Joanna, Rhaella and Lyanna - it simply means giving birth in Westeros is more dangerous than in 21st century. Although some people theorize that this means Jon, Dany and Tyrion are 3 heads of the dragon.

Uh you do know that there ARE abortifacient teas, right? And how are masters that much better than medieval doctors?

Giving birth in Westeros sucks just as much as in the Middle Ages.

I think GRRM said biggest difference between medieval ages and Westeroes are maesters, who are big improvement on medieval doctors. Can't find a quote right now, though.

Archived