Why did Stannis end up married with a Florent?

Señor de la Tormenta

- She is ugly as hell.

- Being Stannis Lord of DS with houses sworn to him, and second in throne line at the time, this marriage makes no sence. Theres no political gain for him to marry a second daughter of a small house of the Reach, a region he has no ties with. She is not going to inheritate anything, and as Stannis himself says, they can only rise 2k swords in case of war. And she is not even pretty, in fact she is one of the ugliest wifes in the realm. Stannis is a far more better match to end so poorely. He gained nothing.

It doesnt make ANY sence.

Anyone has a why?

Even if that was the case a Redwyne or a Hightower would work better. He actually would ve gained something more than big ears.

Nah.

We don't know for certain if either the Redwynes or the Hightowers have a claim to Highgarden. Regardless, those families are intermarried with the Tyrells themselves.

The Florents are the most vocal about wanting Highgarden.

This. Robert chose Stannis' wife for him. Stannis did his duty.

ja. If this was the case, he would always be thorowing this in roberts face as he does with evrything else. I held SE for Robert, I took DS, I helped Jon Arryn to rule for him, and married the woman he wanted, and even so he disgraced me in my wedding.

Two thousand men is actually a large amount of men for a house. Not every house is a vast power. And it's not just giving the Baratheon more men but taking two thousand from the Tyrells if it comes for war. Then If the Florents fight with the Baratheons maybe similar sized houses like the Fossoways, Cranes, etc join them hoping to improve their station. It fractures the Reach.

Especially as the Florent's have a claim to Highgarden. If the Tyrells ever rebelled the Florents could replace them quite easily.

Also there was probably a large cash dowry as the Florents are quite wealthy. Which is useful as Stannis likely had to fund his new household.

Two thousand men is actually a large amount of men for a house. Not every house is a vast power. And it's not just giving the Baratheon more men but taking two thousand from the Tyrells if it comes for war. Then If the Florents fight with the Baratheons maybe similar sized houses like the Fossoways, Cranes, etc join them hoping to improve their station. It fractures the Reach.

Especially as the Florent's have a claim to Highgarden. If the Tyrells ever rebelled the Florents could replace them quite easily.

Also there was probably a large cash dowry as the Florents are quite wealthy. Which is useful as Stannis likely had to fund his new household.

Yeah... It seams to me the relationship between Baratheons and Tyrells is ok. After all Renly fostered Loras a cupple years later. Also, knowing stannis, if he did that for robert, he would be whinning and complaining as everything he did for him. We heared the "Obedient brother" speech quite a lot.

Wasn't Stannis married before Robert's Rebellion? I've a slight inkling I read about her becoming extremely weak during the siege due to lack of food...

TV show quote. Book Stannis was married after Robert's Rebellion, and before the Greyjoy Rebellion.

For why Stannis doesn't blame Robert, in how Stannis is only a few years younger then Robert maybe Steffon was the one who arranged for him to marry a Florent. In how, that would give the Rickard/Hoster/JonArryn/Steffon alliance a potential reach into the crown lands for if they decided to rise up against the Targaryens and as a second son Stannis couldn't get a mainline Tyrell.

For why Stannis doesn't blame Robert, in how Stannis is only a few years younger then Robert maybe Steffon was the one who arranged for him to marry a Florent. In how, that would give the Rickard/Hoster/JonArryn/Steffon alliance a potential reach into the crown lands for if they decided to rise up against the Targaryens and as a second son Stannis couldn't get a mainline Tyrell.

That'd be a fairly long betrothal: Steffon died in 278 AL, and Stannis married Selyse in 287. No, my guess is that Jon set up the marriage, most likely with the intent to pacify the Tyrells by bringing a rival house (with a better blood claim to Highgarden, no less) into the royal ford. Of other powerful Reach houses, only the Hightowers had available daughters, and they had already married into the Tyrell family (Mace's own wife is Lord Leyton's daughter).

Archived