Those glass candles in the Citadel-possible spoilers

Estheros

Hi all,

I am rather new here, so am not sure whether this came up before or not.

On my reread I found this curious:

'He [Pate] had heard there were four [glass candles in the Citadel]; one was green and three were black, and all were tall and twisted.'

Is it a Targaryen vs Blackfyre representation?

Also, the word twisted is often used to describe Tyrion (am not convinced on him being a Targ though).

Thanks.

I'm not sure its a Targ Blackfyre thing, that would be red/black. The glass candles are used to see things very far away. It's been speculated Quaithe is using other candles when she speaks to Dany. I imagine there is something different about the green one but I would guess its what it does rather than it representing/forshadowing anything.

They were a minor family in Freehold.

and they were kings of Westeros for almost 300 years, they had dragons, they were the first family to make 7 kingdoms just one realm

these make them a lesser house?

they were the only family to unite the 7 kingdoms in one

I think the glass candles are too old and important to be linked to an insignificant family as the targaryans.

LOL, seriously!?!? Are you just trolling?

I think he was referring to the Targs' status in the Freehold. As it has been pointed out, the glass candles supposedly were brought to Westeros 1,000 years before the Doom (roughly 1,400 years ago), so it seems highly unlikely that their colors are related to the Dance with Dragons or any other post-Conquest Targ activity.

No need to accuse someone of being a troll. That's just being unfriendly to a relatively new member of the forums.

I think he was referring to the Targs' status in the Freehold. As it has been pointed out, the glass candles supposedly were brought to Westeros 1,000 years before the Doom (roughly 1,400 years ago), so it seems highly unlikely that their colors are related to the Dance with Dragons or any other post-Conquest Targ activity.

No need to accuse someone of being a troll. That's just being unfriendly to a relatively new member of the forums.

Absolutely, SanderOfTheFaith made a very valid point about the possibility of the colours or any other aspect of the candles being in-story causally related to the Targaryen family - it's extremely unlikely given the lack of importance of the Targ family in the relevant time frame 1400 years ago, the approximate age of the candles.

Of course, there's nothing to preclude a literary relation - the Targs are important in the course of the books, and GRRM might have hidden some nifty symbolism in the property of the candles. However, "might" is the crucial word here, cause as far as I can see we haven't actually found a good candidate for such a connection.

Archived