Dark Sister - Whereabouts and Future

Brynden's Raven

Dark Sister, a Valyrian Steel sword, wielded originally by Visenya Targaryen, is missing.

Her last user was Bloodraven, who might have taken it to the Wall with him, since we know of cases where soldiers are allowed to keep personal swords upon joining the NW.

So, where is the sword now, and will it reappear in the future?

My best guess is that Bloodraven took it to the Wall with him and she's currently located somewhere in the North, possibly even beyond the Wall

Other interesting idea I've been kicking around in my head is based upon Martin's description of Dark Sister as a "longsword, suitable for use by a woman". I think this is some bit of foreshadowing by GRRM and that the next wielder of the famed Valyrian Steel sword will be a female, it's still unclear on who it will be

Her last user was Bloodraven, who might have taken it to the Wall with him, since we know of cases where soldiers are allowed to keep personal swords upon joining the NW.

My best guess is that Bloodraven took it to the Wall with him and she's currently located somewhere in the North, possibly even beyond the Wall

The problem with that is that he would almost certainly be dispossessed of the sword when he was tossed in the Black Cells. Even if he had stashed it somewhere before his arrest (which seems unlikely, because if you can foresee the arrest then why not run away) he probably wouldn't have had a chance to retrieve it on his way to The Wall.

Not at the Wall. Neither would someone be allowed to take Valyrian steel into the Black Cells nor would the Targaryen yield their only remaining ancestral sword. Doesn't happen.

I've got the impression it stayed in the Royal Family till some dashing young prince met a certain "knight" with a weirwood on "his" shield, who had the stature to wield it. Wasn't there a discussion about a certain tomb... :cool4:

The problem with that is that he would almost certainly be dispossessed of the sword when he was tossed in the Black Cells. Even if he had stashed it somewhere before his arrest (which seems unlikely, because if you can foresee the arrest then why not run away) he probably wouldn't have had a chance to retrieve it on his way to The Wall.

His physical body couldn't have but we are referring to a man with thousands of eys (and half as many bodies)

Agreed, but the alternative (that the Targs had it back in King's Landing) presents its own problems. Namely, why wasn't Rhaegar wielding the sword when he faced Robert? There were no major wars any Targaryen personally took part in between the first Blackfyre Rebellion and Robert's Rebellion, so it should have passed down without incident.

Though in fairness, we haven't heard crap about Blackfyre, and that should be with the Golden Company.

I've got the impression it stayed in the Royal Family till some dashing young prince met a certain "knight" with a weirwood on "his" shield, who had the stature to wield it. Wasn't there a discussion about a certain tomb... :cool4:

Oh. Hell. Yes.

I would love for it to end up with Arya. I have no proof or evidence that it will ever happen but it would just fit with her persona perfectly. As for where it ended up I would think either in the cave with Bloodraven or somewhere at Castle Black.

Yep. Maester Aemon might well have known of the whereabouts of the sword - Rivers travelled to the wall as a member of the "honour guard" of his...2nd cousin? Half-Uncle? (Anyway, Brynden's father was Aemons grandfather, too).

If he knew really something about it, and Dark Sister is still in Castle Black, he probably would have told the actual LC Jon Snow. So if Arya travels to Castle Black - caus she learned of Jon being stabbed, or in a FM mission, or with a representative of the Iron Bank, Jon might give her another present...

Sorry but could you elaborate please?

If Bloodraven was wrongfully imprisoned by Maekar I could see Egg restoring his sword afterward, but until we have further info(D&E) we can't be sure. Egg didn't see any problem with Aegon the Unworthy giving Daemon the ancestral sword so I don't think he would have had any problem letting Bloodraven keep it(Darksister), unless maybe it ended up with Dunk, he does favor a longsword.

Sorry but could you elaborate please?

In this theory, Dark Sisister stayed within the Targ family to eventually be used by Rhaegar. He gifted it with Lyanna as a recognition of her bravery/skill/plot-required awesomness, and it is buried with her in the Witerfell crypts (which just so happen to haunt Jon's dreams).

While Eddard is normally the sort to give families back their swords (Dawn), there weren't any Targs left in Westeros by the time he got to Lyanna. It could have been the only thing he felt was right to do with it.

I would love for it to end up with Arya. I have no proof or evidence that it will ever happen but it would just fit with her persona perfectly. As for where it ended up I would think either in the cave with Bloodraven or somewhere at Castle Black.

As much as I love this idea, I think Needle is enough for her. It was a gift from Jon, her only connection to Winterfell that is left. I don't think she will choose any blade in place of Needle.

Not at the Wall. Neither would someone be allowed to take Valyrian steel into the Black Cells nor would the Targaryen yield their only remaining ancestral sword. Doesn't happen.

Maybe that is Lyanna's promise to Ned "Raise him as your son and when he is ready give him the sword". Wouldnt be the first time a Targaryen gave a sword to a contender. Could start a war though with Dany and/or Aegon though.

Still, Arya with Dark Sister is pretty sweet. I really dont care who ends up with it, as long as it turns up, along with the 200 or so missing others.

We're not even sure Rhaegar had it in the first place.

I honestly don't think it will turn up in the novels, if Plumm is playing more parts in D&E then it will probably play into that story and the novels would spoil them since we probably won't see the ending of Dunk for many years.

Archived