Dark Sister - Whereabouts and Future

Brynden's Raven

As much as I love this idea, I think Needle is enough for her. It was a gift from Jon, her only connection to Winterfell that is left. I don't think she will choose any blade in place of Needle.

Arya has a problem, and she knows it.

Arya Stark, AFFC:"Needle was too small to be a proper sword, it was hardly more than a toy. She'd been a stupid little girl when Jon had it made for her."

Blind Beth, ADWD, about a year later: "Skinny as they were, her legs were strong and springy and growing longer every day. She was glad of that. A water dancer needs good legs. Blind Beth was no water dancer, but she would not be Beth forever:"

GRRM seems to demonstrate Arya's growing up with the apparent size of Needle.

I think Arya will find Dark Sister, either in Castle Black or in the crypts of Winterfell. She might carry Needle as a sidearm, like Polliver did. It doesn't make sense for GRRM to name a sword "Dark Sister" and then not to give it to the dark sister. :ninja:

I think Arya will find Dark Sister, either in Castle Black or in the crypts of Winterfell. She might carry Needle as a sidearm, like Polliver did. It doesn't make sense for GRRM to name a sword "Dark Sister" and then not to give it to the dark sister. :ninja:

It started with the Dark Sister, hence the name, and if it does make an appearance in the novels(which it hasn't yet not even in name) I would like to see her with it.

Thanks, I never noticed it. Will have to think about it more. :eek:

As much as I love this idea, I think Needle is enough for her. It was a gift from Jon, her only connection to Winterfell that is left. I don't think she will choose any blade in place of Needle.

Especially since Needle is the only thing still keeping her somewhat connected to Arya Stark. If she loses Needle, Arya is truly dead.

Now what really bugs me is why don't we hear about Rhaenys sword? surely if Visenya had Dark Sister, and Aegon had Blackfyre, Rhaenys must have had her own sword.

I wanna know what it was/is called and what happened to it, did it get lost, destroyed is it kicking about the red keep. I'd love to see Arya get Dark Sister and would quite like to see Sansa with her own Kick Ass VS sword too...perhaps with which to slay a certain man who's house sigil is a the Titan...a Giant.

I do think its thouroughly weird that the three Targ conqerors didn't seemingly have a sword a piece.

:agree: I think Jon will find at or north of the wall as ghost and give it to his little "dark" sister. A badass sword for a badass girl. :)

Not at the Wall. Neither would someone be allowed to take Valyrian steel into the Black Cells nor would the Targaryen yield their only remaining ancestral sword. Doesn't happen.

I've got the impression it stayed in the Royal Family till some dashing young prince met a certain "knight" with a weirwood on "his" shield, who had the stature to wield it. Wasn't there a discussion about a certain tomb... :cool4:

I agree. And that's my take on the future/whereabouts.

Now what really bugs me is why don't we hear about Rhaenys sword? surely if Visenya had Dark Sister, and Aegon had Blackfyre, Rhaenys must have had her own sword.

I wanna know what it was/is called and what happened to it, did it get lost, destroyed is it kicking about the red keep. I'd love to see Arya get Dark Sister and would quite like to see Sansa with her own Kick Ass VS sword too...perhaps with which to slay a certain man who's house sigil is a the Titan...a Giant.

I do think its thouroughly weird that the three Targ conqerors didn't seemingly have a sword a piece.

It wasn't valyrian steel.

Thats the thing, I always found it weird that there were only 2 VS swords. It just always bugged me that Poor Rhaenys never got a cool sword. I was making a fan fantasy about wouldn't it be awesome if there were a 3rd and Sansa could get it.

I thought you were saying that she(Rhaenys) did have a sword but it was not VS in which case I got all excited and wanted a link so I could read about her sword. :drool:

Call me a saddo but I really like swords. :frown5:

I really cant see BR being allowed to take the last Targ family sword with him to the wall. If I had to guess, Id say its either hidden in KL, maybe somewhere in the rubble of the Tower of the Hand, or it was given to Lyanna and is in her tomb waiting for Jon to find.

I believe that the Bloodraven is hiding Dark Sister somewhere in his cave. Somehow, I think that Jon Snow will be the next wielder of that sword. Bloodraven could reveal Jon's parentage, because he saw it with his thousand eyes and one. And Jon Snow would be just perfect for the own of Dark Sister, because he is same as a Brynden Rivers; a Targaryen bastard :)

I believe that the Bloodraven is hiding Dark Sister somewhere in his cave. Somehow, I think that Jon Snow will be the next wielder of that sword. Bloodraven could reveal Jon's parentage, because he saw it with his thousand eyes and one. And Jon Snow would be just perfect for the own of Dark Sister, because he is same as a Brynden Rivers; a Targaryen bastard :)

Only Jon is not a Targaryen-bastard. But anyway, the two wielders of DS before Bloodraven were both trueborn Targaryens, so "real" bastardy is not really a crucial for the next wielder. I agree with most of the rest, I too think that Jon will be the next one to get DS.

House Targaryen had exactly two swords of valyrian steel. Not three.

You don't know that. Martin has said that they had "several" Valyrian Steel swords. For all the threads about it on here, Dark Sister is only mentioned twice in the books. Both times in the second dunk and Egg story. It's not like any characters ever recount a list of all the Valyrian Steel swords in Westeros. Totally possible the Targaryens had more than the two that we know of.

You don't know that. Martin has said that they had "several" Valyrian Steel swords. For all the threads about it on here, Dark Sister is only mentioned twice in the books. Both times in the second dunk and Egg story. It's not like any characters ever recount a list of all the Valyrian Steel swords in Westeros. Totally possible the Targaryens had more than the two that we know of.

If there is another Valyrian Steel sword of the Targaryens, then it belonged to Rhaenys. The Blackfire was Aegon's, Visenya had a Dark Sister, so there might be a third one which belonged to Rhaenys Targaryen.

If there is another Valyrian Steel sword of the Targaryens, then it belonged to Rhaenys. The Blackfire was Aegon's, Dark Sister had Visenya, so there might be a third one which belonged to Rhaenys Targaryen.

Yup. Which was probably lost when she and Meraxes died in Dorne, or during the Dance of Dragons.

Archived