Sansa Stark and Arya Stark relationship

The Others vs Westeros

I always thought Lord Varys went to Cersei (the both of them were smart enough to see that an outright war with the Wolves was not what was needed right now), but Littlefinger, who would definitely want Ned dead, went to Joffrey instead to make him not listen to his mother and call for his head.

The power was with Joffrey, is what Littlefinger would think, so that's where he needed to go. Varys has subtler ways, Littlefinger thrives in chaos.

PS: Judging from the mini-war that's going on in here, I'll say I've no clue if this is supported in text since it's been a while since my own AGoT read, and therefore maybe the show is leading me to this conclusion. But whatever.

I always thought Lord Varys went to Cersei (the both of them were smart enough to see that an outright war with the Wolves was not what was needed right now), but Littlefinger, who would definitely want Ned dead, went to Joffrey instead to make him not listen to his mother and call for his head.

The power was with Joffrey, is what Littlefinger would think, so that's where he needed to go. Varys has subtler ways, Littlefinger thrives in chaos.

PS: Judging from the mini-war that's going on in here, I'll say I've no clue if this is supported in text since it's been a while since my own AGoT read, and therefore maybe the show is leading me to this conclusion. But whatever.

Varys started to freak out when Joff called for Neds head. As I recall Cersei couldn't just call it off in front of thousands. If Ned is not exposed and stays in the cells I would imagine Cersei and Varys would have an easier time protecting him.

The Stark family connections were all in place and quite strong long before direwolves made an appearance in their lives. The effect on Sansa of the loss of her direwolf doesn't affect that connection in the least. It does, however, affect her realization and/or engagement with her skinchanging ability.

You make a really good point about the Stark family connections already being strong pre-direwolves. I was thinking more about the wolves seeming ability to sense one another, like how Jon knows Summer, Shaggydog and Nymeria are still alive from warging Ghost. But I suppose that's more the connection between the wolves and less the connection between the Starks themselves. Anyway, it will be interesting to see whether Sansa is eventually able to explore her skinchanging ability even without Lady.

Cersei knew that Ned would make his move immediately after Robert's death. That's Royal Succession 101 - you move as soon as possible and he's Ned Stark, no chance of him forgetting that Joff is a bastard and not acting on it.

How is Cersei supposed to know that Ned tried to bribe the Watch, but not when they were supposed to strike, BTW?

Ned's plan was to use the Goldcloaks. They were never on his side, so timing doesn't matter.

Not to mention that the arrangement for Sansa to leave KL was made before Robert was injured and had nothing to do with the timing of Ned's actions afterwards."

I'm not sure what most of this stuff has to do with my post. Timing was important for Cersei. Without Sansa's info Cersei only knows that Ned plans to confront her, but not when. Once Sansa divulges Ned's plan Cersei immediately strikes in order to keep Arya and Sansa as hostages to control Ned and the Starks.

Without Sansa's info she has to wait for Ned to make his move, which Ned wasn't going to make until his daughters had left King's Landing. Remember, Cersei has to wait for Robert to die before she can make her move. As you stated, Ned had made his plans before Robert died and had Robert lived longer his daughters would have been safe in King's Landing.

Huh? The only reason Arya was able to get away was that she had a superbadass sword teacher at hand. Sansa would've been taken anyway.

Again, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with this comment.

Archived