Symon Star Eyes visions?

Starkside of the Force

The tale of Symon Star Eyes, the blinded knight who put sapphires in his sockets, then fought with a dual bladed glaive.

It is mentioned that he visited the nightfort where he saw hellhounds fighting.

Seeing as he was blind he was

a.) A wight, like coldhands with the blue eyes

b.) a prophet, as he was having visions

c.) delirious, and would have to have been able to see at one point, to see visions.

Now keep in mind, Symon was a knight, did knights exist during the age of heroes?, as well as being an Andal during the point where the Andals and the First men (inhabitants of the wall) were at war. What was he doing so far into the North at the Wall.

The Andals never conquered the North, meaning he couldn't have been there on conquest fighting, and there is no reason they would stage a skirmish at the wall.

I believe all of Old nans stories have significance, but I dont quite get the significance of this one. It did occur to be that Hellhound is a bastardized version of the word wolf, which could imply two bastards fighting at it in the Nightfort. Jon and Ramsay do jump to mind, but it is unlikely and there is no real evidence of that.

The nightfort has the hidden door beneath it, features some of Old Nans scariest stories, is the one Coldhands showed up at, and is being made fit for habitation by Stannis Baratheon as of the end of aDwD.

Could he be Coldhands?

Seeing as he was blind he was

a.) A wight, like coldhands with the blue eyes

I'm not sure in the OP with the a,b,c if you are wondering if he was a wight or not. (i'm slow today). But I think he had an Others connection fwiw.

I the same book we see Jaffers, when he's found. He already has blue eyes. They are described as 'sapphire blue'. This description links Jaffers to Symeon, and the insinuation seems to be that he was a wight, or some kind of hybrid.

As for the hellhounds fighting, I'm stumped. The fact Symeon comes up in three chapters make me think this legend could have some relevance somehow, but I can' figure out what that might be. You bring up some good points in the OP, and the visions idea is iiiiinteresting

The more i think about Symeon having visions, the more I think what a great frikkin' idea that is, and something that had never occured to me. Starkside, I think you're right about that part. It wouldn't surprise me if this was a 'prophesy puzzle' of some sort.

Now. Hellhounds. Hmmm.

They did not have knights during the Age of Heroes, however it's not uncommon for stories from that time to be sorta retconned to contain knights. Personally I think it's just a legend. Maybe Martin is a fan of Zatoichi.

Thats an interesting theory, very relevant to it, and a little more developed than mine - I like it :) Well my reasoning behind coldhands is that Symon wasnt blind and didnt replace his eyes with sapphires. Another relevant theory is the gemstone conspiracies, that Sapphires mean Secrets -

Cracking a few more pots and throwing random ideas around, could Symeon's Daredevil fighting abilities been due to seeing the world through warging? A skill he presumably kept secret for fear of prejudice and to keep his tactical advantage (and because it's just that much more badass if people think he's simply that intuitive), all of which would link with the sapphire=secret stuff.

Arya then later uses this exact same method to get intel while she's temporarily blind.

Not saying it's any more plausible than the sapphire eyes being Other eyes or part-Other eyes, it's just another idea that came into my head when reading this very interesting thread and which I thought should be thrown out there.

Cracking a few more pots and throwing random ideas around, could Symeon's Daredevil fighting abilities been due to seeing the world through warging? A skill he presumably kept secret for fear of prejudice and to keep his tactical advantage (and because it's just that much more badass if people think he's simply that intuitive), all of which would link with the sapphire=secret stuff.

Arya then later uses this exact same method to get intel while she's temporarily blind.

This is a really good idea, strengthened by the blind Arya example. Symeon might have warged to see things. Although the sapphire eyes seems to clear a link to Jaffers eyes - the first time we ever see a wight. But this is smart thinking and there could be something to it.

Didn't someone on here come up with the theory that saphires are synonymous with lying? Perhaps the fact he had 'saphire eyes' just means the story's a lie.

Sapphires mean secrets so Symon being more than your average blue eyed boy fits with the sapphire symbolism.

Sapphires mean secrets so Symon being more than your average blue eyed boy fits with the sapphire symbolism.

You got it! Glad a few people understood that thread. Your explanation is exactly what i had for that one, it seems to be the insinuation, with Jaffers eyes having just been described as sapphires too.

The only other person with "eyes like sapphire" is Coldhands, who could also be a warg, seeing that he rides a great Elk, and commands a legion of rats with wings (ravens)

Coldhands has eyes like sapphires? - I think you're muddled with Jaffers here. Coldhands has black eyes.

Archived