Which religion from ASOIAF would you take yourself?

A Bastard King

Seeing how that supposed "light" thinks nothing of consuming people's blood, making accurate prophecies just to not bother helping anyone with them, and burning "infidels", I still don't see why even consider it. It is as clearly misguided a faith as I could ask for.

consuming blood? like drinking christs blood at mass? accurate prophecies? the christian, muslim, and jewish faiths all believe in an omniscient god, who doesn't bother to let their devout followers know about the terrible things that will happen to them. burning infidels? how about all the infidels in the world trade center? those holy warriors brought their jihad to our doorstep. you say its a misguided faith but i dont know that your criteria is correct

That's why I said earlier in the thread I would reform and go against the burnings.

The root of the religion is what makes sense to me.

Why did you put light in quotes? Are you implying there is not such a thing as light? or that they don't worship it?

Corruption is corruption. The Red Faith is what it is. I would rather not call it by a misleading word such as "light".

consuming blood? like drinking christs blood at mass? accurate prophecies? the christian, muslim, and jewish faiths all believe in an omniscient god, who doesn't bother to let their devout followers know about the terrible things that will happen to them. burning infidels? how about all the infidels in the world trade center? those holy warriors brought their jihad to our doorstep. you say its a misguided faith but i dont know that your criteria is correct

Did I imply that I would consider becoming an Abrahamist?

Corruption is corruption. The Red Faith is what it is. I would rather not call it by a misleading word such as "light".

Why is it misleading ? Me saying light is actually what the religion is about, nothing misleading.

Religions change and do what they do, but the root of what they are about is still always there, even if the followers get maniacal.

I like nature. I like trees, especially climbing them. And talking trees would be pretty cool so that when I'm talking aloud to figure things out, I don't feel the need to answer myself. It probably makes me look like a crazy person. So in a a scenario where its easier to identify with a religion than start up weird atheism conversation, I'd definitely say I belong to the Old Gods. I'd be one of those picky faux religious people where I'd talk about how I'm totally not down with sacrifice stuff. Just the trees. Like a hippie, except not insufferable.

Why is it misleading ? Me saying light is actually what the religion is about, nothing misleading.

Religions change and do what they do, but the root of what they are about is still always there, even if the followers get maniacal.

"Light" usually has positive conotations.

Despite the actual worth of the religion? If you say so.

I don't even know what you are asking here.

I'm just trying to get into the spirit of the thread and choose one of the religions from the books.

To me light is the thing most worthy of worship,

More than trees, made up characters, or water.

I wouldn't burn people, religions can reform and split into different factions.

Christianity for example has split into many different groups with their own seperate doctrines.

I'd pick the Red God, but only if I could do cool magic like the red priests.

If I wasn't allowed or capable of using magic, I'd definitely pick the old gods.

Aye. I'm not religious IRL because I'm one of those faithless that needs some sort of proof to have, uh, faith. Lots of proof with R'hllor, though. Human sacrifices... eh.

On the other hand, if I had some greenseeing powers, I would definitely follow the Old Gods.

The Old Gods. As a history buff I savour the individual histories and creation stories of tribes, countries, and regions. I consider the leveling and obliterating of old traditions and worship by proseletysing and missionising religions a tragic development. Yes, many religions also brought 'civilisation', but in their zeal they've erased much of what tells us how we developed. So I fancy Druid and pagan ceremonies in England because it is the ancestral religious practice of the country.

I'm assuming you don't mean the neo-druid nonsense invented in the 18th century and brought to its full flower in the 20th, none of which has anything at all to do with actual Druidic practices. These are people who think the Druids built Stonehenge even though it had already been standing for millennia, and worshipped the potato even thought at the time no one had ever seen a potato any farther east than Bolivia.

If you mean actual Druidic traditions, then we know so little about them that it's hard to imagine how you could fancy them. The Romans and later the Christians just did too good a job of leveling and obliterating them. All we have is a few descriptions written by their enemies—and none of them seem very positive, or in most cases very reliable, as you'd expect from the words of their enemies.

The Many-Faced God.

He doesn't really make any demands, but bestows his Gift on anyone, even the wickedest.

Plus, all other Gods are just aspects of him anyway, so you're all worshipping him anyway, even if you don't know it. Given the choice between "all gods are just aspects of the evil Great Other, except for R'hillor" or "all gods are aspects of the good guy, no exceptions", the latter wins by Occam's razor.

Archived