Hizdahr zo Loraq cast

Professional Dragonslayer

I imagined him older as well, but looking over his Wiki of Ice and Fire page, it seems that was based on ... nothing. His description in the book is pretty much spot on for Fry (hell, the fan art on the page even kind of looks like him: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:Hizdahr1.jpg). I guess we got the impression that he's older just from the type of character he is: a kind of cautious, powerful man of wealth. But if they're going for a less old and established businessman and more for sort of the Mark Zuckerberg of Meereen, I really see no problem with that.

I don't think he was ever described as a businessman. Just as the son of a noble family, who isn't particularly smart. A handsome yes man who serves as the face of those of those who really govern (the Green Grace for example).

In light of his casting on GOT as Dany's future husband, this scene from Plebs where Stylax (Joel Fry) defends sleeping with his cousin is even more hilarious:

Marcus: This is depraved, even for you.

Stylax: It's not depraved! The royal family do it all the time!

Marcus: The royal family are mental! In fact, that's why they're mental. They're incesty sickos!

Considering how much of AFFC/ADWD they seem to be putting in Season 4 is anyone else wondering what they're going to do in Season 5 to make up for all of the forwarded material?

Aside from Brienne and Bran (and possibly Daenerys), I see no evidence that they are going to go into AFfC/ADwD material early. Casting the Lords Declarant just means that those characters are being introduced earlier to help set up the AFfC/ADwD storylines. The same could also be said of Hizdahr. Early introduction != bringing forward storylines.

Considering how much of AFFC/ADWD they seem to be putting in Season 4 is anyone else wondering what they're going to do in Season 5 to make up for all of the forwarded material?

I think they may just be introducing some of the future characters so they can get that out of the way for next season. It will also help add some filler into this season because some of the characters won't have a whole lot to do, like Bran and Sansa. I'm pretty sure that the

Purple Wedding

is going to be in the first couple of episodes, possibly even the second episode of the season. If that's the case, adding the Lords Declarant will give Sansa more to do and it will prevent them from having to leave her out of some episodes.

I don't think he was ever described as a businessman. Just as the son of a noble family, who isn't particularly smart. A handsome yes man who serves as the face of those of those who really govern (the Green Grace for example).

I am thinking of the guy who buys all the fighting pits in Meereen, right? It's been a year since I read ADWD. All those names........

Wow, I wasn’t expecting Hizdar to be cast for this season. The actor is a little younger looking than I imagined for the character but I think he’s a great choice.

One of the best things about reading a book is that we, as readers, get to fan-cast every single role/character on the page. This is all regardless of a character description. We imagine a character to be what stimulates us the most viscerally. This is why I never bash a casting decision unless it is a blatantly overwhelming deviation from the source (ex Slughorn in Harry Potter going from shorter and massively heavy in the books to tall and pretty thin in the movie). But even there he did a pretty nice job. That would be why casting is such an extensive process... bc regardless of a given description from the source the human element just adds so much to the mix. I have seen so many versions of Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne ranging from movies to tv to comics to books. All of which look very different from each other.

Our opinions on a mental image of a character should never really be judged.. it is just easier for us to read a story imagining a character in a way that we enjoy. That would be why so many people want Mads M or Purefoy or Stevenson on the show.. not necessarily bc they match the book description of a character.. but bc they just look so much like what we wish a certain character looks like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just can't believe they cast the guy from Plebs.

I wouldn't get too worried about Hizdahr being introduced in Season 4. It might just be introducing the character to set up later events.

Me, neither.

Yeah, it's a bit...yeah. It's hard to imagine him in a serious role. He's also very endearing and personable on Plebs, so I'd be interested in seeing him play someone as unappetizing as Hizdahr.

Also, I know mileage varies on this, but I find this actor way hotter than the recast Daario (or the original Daario, for that matter). The writers have their work cut out for them if they're going to make him seem unappealing as a romantic prospect (although they managed handily with Mero, played by a gorgeous actor but rendered repulsive by the way he was written).

never seen plebs but all the roles ive seen have been light hearted and hes been slightly slow but harmless so this role is very different for him but looks wise its bang on imo

I am surprised too. But there is timeline some book readers made up and if it's right, some of Dany's storyline in Meereen happens before some of the events at the end of ASOS and it would make sense to include Hizdahr in season 4.

The order of things definitely gets jumbled about from ASOS on and it gets very confusing if you try to think about it haha.

Here's the link to the timeline if you want to check it out.

https://docs.google....rowsperpage=250

The timeline is a little confusing. :( I have no objections in including Hizdahr on season four if he's only going to appear for two episodes or something, just to introduce him so other viewers who haven't read the books won't be surprised when we finally get to Dany's ADWD storyline. But honestly, I think it's too early. Does anyone know if Arianne Martell is going to be cast for season 4?

Spoiler

Perhaps we are just getting a different path to get to the same place. I'm
thinking her conquest of Meereen will be more diplomatic. Meereen might offer
her peace instead of another battle, and a marriage with Hizdahr would be the
seal of the truce. Meanwhile, the rivalry between Jorah and Daario will grow
until that great huge explosion happens, whereas Dany banishes Jorah,
Daario departs, and she proceeds with the wedding. But as she assumes
control of Meereen, she learns of Drogon's atrocity and finds she must bind
Viserion and Rhaegal to keep the peace. And that will be her season.

Spoiler

Perhaps we are just getting a different path to get to the same place. I'm

thinking her conquest of Meereen will be more diplomatic. Meereen might offer

her peace instead of another battle, and a marriage with Hizdahr would be the

seal of the truce. Meanwhile, the rivalry between Jorah and Daario will grow

until that great huge explosion happens, whereas Dany banishes Jorah,

Daario departs, and she proceeds with the wedding. But as she assumes

control of Meereen, she learns of Drogon's atrocity and finds she must bind

Viserion and Rhaegal to keep the peace. And that will be her season.

I actually think they will go the other way, and go for the big (well, not Blackwater big, but reasonably big) battle route, as opposed to the books covert take down route. If you recall, the Yunkish noble in the show originally came in saying "we'll give you gold, ships and peace, just leave us alone. But if you don't accept that I guess we'll have to fight". I think they will have the Meereenese (represented by Hizdahr, of course) come in and say right from the beginning "We will fight, and we will crush you". Overall, though, I think the show will roughly follow the books. I don't think people give D&D the credit they deserve sometimes; although a lot of the smaller details have changed they have been very loyal to the books. In fact it is one of the more loyal adaptions that I have ever seen. For better or for worse, I think they are going to tell the book version of events. Some of the details along the way will undoubtedly be changed to make it work on screen (in fact I think show!Meereen has the potential to be much better than book!Meereen), but the overall story will remain the same.

^ I am going to keep that post and either laugh or weep at your naivety when the season ends. True to the books? Please.

I never said they were 100% true to the books, but let's compare it to other book-film adaptions:

True Blood - started out similar, but by the end became a completely different thing.

Dexter - only the first season had anything to do with the books

Harry Potter - first 3 films were relatively true to the books, but it completely derailed after that.

Dune (movie) - umm, yeah, don't go there. Just don't.

Narnia - I haven't actually read the books (yet), but from what I gather it was relatively loyal

The Lord of the Rings - very loyal, with minimal deviations

The Hobbit - still mostly loyal, but quite a few deviations to make it work better on screen

Hunger Games - again, I haven't read the books (yet), but from what I understand the movie was mostly loyal.

Purists often go on about how different GoT is from the books, but if you look at other adaptions it has been incredible loyal thus far. You want to see what a terrible adaption that completely deviates from the books actually looks like: watch Dune or Harry Potter or Dexter or True Blood. Overall I would put Game of Thrones up with the Hobbit in terms of how close to the books it is. Have there been differences? Yes. Have those differences stayed true to the spirit of the series as a whole, and been effective in making it work on screen? Yes, for the most part, although there have been times where it hasn't worked (Jon S2).

There's no reason to assume that they will suddenly make their own story like Dexter. I still remember this time last year when people were sure that they would either have Ros or Talisa replace Jeyne Poole and marry Ramsay, and whenever someone suggested that D&D would stick to the books they would be shot down as being naive :P.

I never said they were 100% true to the books, but let's compare it to other book-film adaptions:

True Blood - started out similar, but by the end became a completely different thing.

Dexter - only the first season had anything

Harry Potter - first 3 films were relatively true to the books, but it completely derailed after that.

Dune (movie) - umm, yeah, don't go there. Just don't.

Narnia - I haven't actually read the books (yet), but from what I gather it was relatively loyal

The Lord of the Rings - very loyal, with minimal deviations

The Hobbit - still mostly loyal, but quite a few deviations to make it work better on screen

Hunger Games - again, I haven't read the books (yet), but from what I understand the movie was mostly loyal.

Purists often go on about how different GoT is from the books, but if you look at other adaptions it has been incredible loyal thus far. You want to see what a terrible adaption that completely deviates from the books actually looks like: watch Dune or Harry Potter or Dexter or True Blood. Overall I would put Game of Thrones up with the Hobbit in terms of how close to the books it is. Have there been differences? Yes. Have those differences stayed true to the spirit of the series as a whole, and been effective in making it work on screen? Yes, for the most part, although there have been times where it hasn't worked (Jon S2).

There's no reason to assume that they will suddenly make their own story like Dexter. I still remember this time last year when people were sure that they would either have Ros or Talisa replace Jeyne Poole and marry Ramsay, and whenever someone suggested that D&D would stick to the books they would be shot down as being naive :P.

:agree:

Archived