Why do people say Kevan was Hand of the King?

Sordelor

I've allready seen several people saying that Kevan was HotK and they asked themselfs who the new hand is going to be.

Do they mean that HotK and Lord Regent is the same thing and just mean who will be the ruler now Kevan's dead?

I know Kevan was Lord Regent, I just want to know why people say he was Hand.

I've allready seen several people saying that Kevan was HotK and they asked themselfs who the new hand is going to be.

Do they mean that HotK and Lord Regent is the same thing and just mean who will be the ruler now Kevan's dead?

Just a mistake. There was some talk about the possibility of making Kevan Hand when Cersei still pulled the strings, but that didn't happen. After Cersei was removed, Kevan got to be Regent. The Hand is Mace Tyrell.

They're definitely not the same thing. And Kevan didn't hold both positions; his first action as Regent was to make Mace Tyrell the Hand.*

* I suppose you could claim that Kevan was the de facto Hand for a few seconds before doing that, but I think if anyone is left to write the history books after this is all over, they'll say that Mace's predecessor was Merryweather.

Of course the fact that some people get the Handship and Regency mixed up doesn't answer the question of who's going to be Regent. Will it be left vacant? Returned to Cersei even though she's on trial for treason? Taken by Mace Tyrell "just until Cersei is found innocent"?

That's a good question. Poor Tommen is running out of family members. Can't see the Council choosing a second tier Lannister, which leaves Mace, his good father? Failing that, Jaime, in absentia, until they discover he's joined the BwB and gone off Sansa hunting ;)

I don't know that Cersei would ever be trusted in power again since Varys' stated intention is to make the Tyrells suspect her in Kevan's death. Of course she'll suspect them which will lead to counter plots, and the joy of watching her go down in flames.

Archived