Football 53: Come on feel the Moyes!

Xray the Enforcer

At least Liverpool reversed their mini-slump today, especially in a potential banana-skin away from home against a motivated wild card team. But thankfully Sunderland does not have enough attacking talent to go with their temporary zeal.

Sturridge and Suarez linked beautifully and Danny looked fitter today and benefited from defenders needing to watch Suarez too. Aside from the two goals, there were a couple of occasions where only a perfect tackle from Cuellar prevented Sturridge from going through to set up other goals.

Mignolet had a bad error to gift them a soft goal, but at least he picked the right game to make a mistake. Otherwise they created very little. They had a lot of shots but nearly all from distance and mostly blocked. The two best chances were a Larsson free kick that was not a foul by Lucas and a chip to Gardner who should have been called offside.

This 3-4-1-2 formation is deeply suspect but largely forced by injuries in a thin squad. Sakho, Toure and Skrtel all did very well today. I don't know how Rodgers will keep all the CBs happy when Agger is back, not to mention Ilori not yet getting a game either. Moses is very out of position but did OK. Henderson has the engine for that wing-back role but his many crosses produced nothing and we need his coverage in the middle. Gerrard and Lucas are still underperforming in central midfield. Lucas is suspended for the next game so I guess we'll see Alberto there with Allen still injured, or else Henderson there with Sterling as a right wing-back at home to Palace. When we have Coutinho and Allen back available, I think Gerrard will need to be "rested". His occasional Hollywood passes are not enough.

The good news is that Suarez will get better as match sharpness returns and the team will get better when Johnson, Kelly, Cissokho return to offer attacking full backs and Coutinho and Allen return to offer link-up play going forward.

The next international break comes after next weekend. These stop-start interruptions to the season are really annoying. Let's hope for no injuries. I can imagine Sturridge playing for England even though he isn't fully fit yet.

I don't think the save itself was a bad error by Mignolet. The shot came at some pace and went between the defenders legs which always makes it more difficult for the keeper. The midfield should have closed the ball quicker, and having re watched it a few times I actually think Mignolet might have been able to save the rebound had he continued his forward movement, looked like he moved forward then stopped with the ball missing him by an inch when the rebound shot was taken.

Don't think the 3412 is a suspect formation either. In both games we've used it now we've been the better team and have generally played quite well. It is a system that suits a lot of our players down to the ground and allows our best players to play in their best positions. When Agger gets back into the team and Johnson, Coutinho and Allen are back fit I think a 3 at the back variation with 2 strikers will make us a very dangerous team. Henderson had an off day but I wouldn't be surprised if he kept his place at RWB/RM and Johnson went over to the left to replace the brainless Enrique. Cissokho will definitely be back in ahead of him when fit.

Everton all over this hapless Newcastle side. Poor selection from Pardrew imo and it amazes me that 4 out of their back 5 continuously under perform yet never get dropped.

Me - "Hi Jose, Alex from the Sunday Sport here; my question is, there's this really great, terrifying striker who can play against every team in the Premier League except you - how do you feel about that"

Jose - "REALLY FUCKING GOOD"

Lukaku busting out the awesome again. What a tit Mourinho looks for that decision.

I love how Mourinho called him back, gave him this speech about needing to make it at Chelsea to prove that he was good enough for the WC then having him leave immediately after that horrid penalty. Seems like a pointless, roundabout little tangent from what everyone expected to happen. Possibly because we signed Eto'o. That better fucking work out.

I really don't understand. We're three up, and Newcastle are looking like shit. Then we decide to turn off, because.. I have no idea. First fifteen of the second half, we're not even trying. See for example James McCarthy deciding not to press Cabaye for the goal. No desire to work.

Then we get the game under control again, but fail to score, and lo and behold! we get a nervy finish when we defend like .. well, Newcastle. And we seem hell-bent on giving them the chance to equalize. Thankfully that didn't happen.

That's two games in a row now, where we've just let the other team in after starting brightly. I don't like this trend, and I fear for our meeting w/City at the weekend.

Archived