U.S. Politics - Government shut-down edition (repeat)

TerraPrime

I never said that not a singe TEA Party member had never referred to themselves that way. Show me a group without a few people that are not up on the latest slang outside of High School or Hollywood.

I said it was started in a hateful way by people outside the party and I named a name.

And she was the first;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms45EzMR0f8

Date; April 16, 2009.

Find me an earlier dated reference.

Sure, some of us have tried to turn it around, I ain't one of them.

OPs;

I am offended by the use of the terms, deeply, by anyone that tries to describe me or my party that way.

Now, we will see if the rules apply to me & mine equally, or not.

Your move.

And she was the first;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms45EzMR0f8

Date; April 16, 2009.

Find me an earlier dated reference.

If you check Inigma's link, you'll find Feb 27th, 2009, and April 1, 2009, as well as a reference to the term, but not the actual term, on March 2, 2009. :)

edit: this is also a spectacularly frustrating derail, especially as it is with someone who has, to my knowledge, never admitted being wrong.

Words can of course have different meanings in different contexts. It was sort of junior high school humor to laugh at the political use of "teabag", like people who smirk when the word "cock" is used in its original sense of "male bird."

I was born in 1951 and even though I am a gay man I had never heard the sexual meaning of "teabagger" before Rachel Maddow brought it up. I am sort of amazed at TP's comment that the Tea Party "must never have played video games," though. It's true I've never played a video game (except a very early one based on Tolkien), but I really wonder how on earth the sexual meaning of the term comes up in a video game. Is there actually a video game where you get points if your character participates in that activity? :)

I was born in 1951 and even though I am a gay man I had never heard the sexual meaning of "teabagger" before Rachel Maddow brought it up. I am sort of amazed at TP's comment that the Tea Party "must never have played video games," though. It's true I've never played a video game (except a very early one based on Tolkien), but I really wonder how on earth the sexual meaning of the term comes up in a video game. Is there actually a video game where you get points if your character participates in that activity? :)

In multi-player video games where gamers are pitted against each other in the game, mostly in simulated combat type games, when an opponent loses, their character is usually shown laying on the ground for a short time before it disappears. The victor will often then stand over the vanquished and do a "sit down" motion, simulating forcing their scrotum onto the loser's face, ergo, forced teabagging. This is probably also where the association to violence came in, if people were exposed to that in the gaming context. This is a popular antic in many on-line video games.

In multi-player video games where gamers are pitted against each other in the game, mostly in simulated combat type games, when an opponent loses, their character is usually shown laying on the ground for a short time before it disappears. The victor will often then stand over the vanquished and do a "sit down" motion, simulating forcing their scrotum onto the loser's face, ergo, forced teabagging. This is probably also where the association to violence came in, if people were exposed to that in the gaming context. This is a popular antic in many on-line video games.

One does learn something new every day. If this is really so popular in video games, I guess I'm surprised I haven't run across it before in the articles decrying video game violence that I've read. It would make incidents like Abu Ghraib even easier to understand if a lot of our soldiers have been playing games with such images.

One does learn something new every day. If this is really so popular in video games, I guess I'm surprised I haven't run across it before in the articles decrying video game violence that I've read. It would make incidents like Abu Ghraib even easier to understand if a lot of our soldiers have been playing games with such images.

It doesn't come up because it's not associated with violence. It's just a sexual and juvenile way of dancing on the corpse of your fallen foe.

It doesn't come up because it's not associated with violence. It's just a sexual and juvenile way of dancing on the corpse of your fallen foe.

Sorry, Shryke, but I consider any way one "dances on the corpse of a fallen foe" to be an act of violence. Desecration of a dead body on the battlefield should never be acceptable, IMHO.

I imagine we'll be hearing politicians and commentators calling people cocksuckers and cunt-lickers soon enough.

Progress.

It's popular with a juvenile sort of crowd, and only shows up in some games, mostly shooters. Halo, Call of Duty, Counterstrike are the big offenders.

World of Warcraft, too. Sometimes it's your teammate who'd do that do your character.

Sorry, Shryke, but I consider any way one "dances on the corpse of a fallen foe" to be an act of violence. Desecration of a dead body on the battlefield should never be acceptable, IMHO.

Is celebrating your victory over another team in a sport by pointing and jeering violent?

In poor taste, certainly, but violent? No.

And that's all it is.

World of Warcraft, too. Sometimes it's your teammate who'd do that do your character.

Teabagging is appropriate in all situations in WoW where something is a corpse on the floor. :p

Your tank died but you still downed the Lich King? Teabag that bitch till the rez goes through!

Is celebrating your victory over another team in a sport by pointing and jeering violent?

In poor taste, certainly, but violent? No.

And that's all it is.

I'm sorry, but I really disagree. Performing a nonconsensual sexual act on someone else (even in a "virtual" environment) is way beyond just pointing and jeering and is a lot worse than just being "in poor taste", IMHO. This is the sort of thing that may eventually lead to desensitization that could result in actual violence.

Any way, this is getting too far away from US Politics now so I'm going to stop posting about this subject in this thread and would urge anyone who wants to continue to start another thread on Teabagging in Video Games.

I'm sorry, but I really disagree. Performing a nonconsensual sexual act on someone else (even in a "virtual" environment) is way beyond just pointing and jeering and is a lot worse than just being "in poor taste", IMHO. This is the sort of thing that may eventually lead to desensitization that could result in actual violence.

Any way, this is getting too far away from US Politics now so I'm going to stop posting about this subject in this thread and would urge anyone who wants to continue to start another thread on Teabagging in Video Games.

I don't think you have an accurate assessment of the spirit in which the teabagging is delivered because you aren't familiar with the pratice and that this is causing you to see it as inherently violent.

It is, literally, just jeering at the enemy. That's it's purpose.

If it's going to happen, let it happen now. The alternative is death by a thousand cuts in the form of Republicans demanding concessions in exchange for NOT blowing up the economy, over and over and over again.

The slow bleed caused by the destabilization and chronic uncertainty would--over time--be worse than a credit default now, and would be just as likely to end with a default eventually, when the demands got bolder and more outrageous until they hit the limit.

If it's going to happen, let's get it over with. And then there'll be a whole new word for those responsible.

Another bit of trolling the ACA pulls off:

Republicans have plenty of reasons to dislike Obamacare already, but they haven’t focused on one that could affect them in 2014 and beyond: anyone signing up for insurance under the Affordable Care Act will also have a chance to register to vote.

Before folks start accusing Democrats of engaging in a vast left-wing conspiracy, it’s worth noting this quirk stems from the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (better known as the “Motor Voter” law, because it allowed all Americans to register to vote while renewing their driver’s license).

According to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services spokesman Brian Cook, applications in the insurance marketplace must include the offer of voter registration because the law “requires states to offer voter registration [at] all offices that provide ‘public assistance’ (including Medicaid applications). Because people applying on healthcare.gov could be eligible for either Medicaid or Marketplace coverage, we will be providing info on voter registration to people who request it.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/09/26/obamacare-could-add-more-democrats-to-the-voting-rolls/

It almost feels like they are deliberately rubbing their package in the GOP's face with healthcare reform sometimes.

Archived