Dunk the Talls descendants (All three of them)

Starkside of the Force

I can't believe everyone thinks that Dunk really only got a lock of hair from the Red Widow. When I read that scene it's pretty obvious that the next thing that happens after he kisses her is not asking for a lock of hair. Dunk is too much of a gentleman to start boasting to Egg about it so he doesn't let on. No wonder GRRM feels he had to intimately describe sex scenes when any kind of subtlety passes right over most people's heads.

It's never said that she is the same height as Dunk, just that he wouldn't have to kneel to kiss her.

Dunk is 6'11" according to Aemon when he measured him at the Citadel. Even a woman who is six feet tall would still have to stand on her toes to kiss someone that tall. :)

Well, that's not what I quoted. Dunk thinks that Tanselle is the right height for kissing. I don't see how someone standing on their toes might be described as "the right height" for the activity, and here I presume the male cooperating, i.e. lowering his head. As for your example, it is pretty common in RL that the man is a head taller, yet kissing requires no special gymnastics. I'm not very tall myself but I sure don't have to stand on my toes.

I can't believe everyone thinks that Dunk really only got a lock of hair from the Red Widow. When I read that scene it's pretty obvious that the next thing that happens after he kisses her is not asking for a lock of hair. Dunk is too much of a gentleman to start boasting to Egg about it so he doesn't let on. No wonder GRRM feels he had to intimately describe sex scenes when any kind of subtlety passes right over most people's heads.

:agree:

I felt it more likely they had had sex previously, when she was plotting to use him. Now he learns of her marriage and takes her hair in revenge. Of course, thats interpreting the stories as told as more or less the children's versions of events.

Brienne is the descendant of Duncan as GRRM told us. Old Nan's true name is a mystery but i dont buy it being Nymeria. She is most likely a wildling woman. Ygritte told Jon that they remember so many things are forgotten at the south of the wall. Old Nan's stories are unique and all of them are of the North. And the woman kissing Duncan in Bran's vision could be any. There are numereous Stark daughters, aunts and widows at that time. The upcoming D%E story is called The Sheowolves of Winterfell.

In short, your theory is most likely wrong.

Is there a SSM on this? I don't recall ever reading this, but I do find it wildly intriguing! I've often wondered at how his shield ended up in the armory of Tarth, and the connection it has with Big Brienne.

A Kingsguard can't, they're sworn to celibacy.

I just don't understand how you can write this. We know of several KG who are known to break their vows. Of course, he couldn't openly acknowledge the child to all and sundry.

Going back to the OP: I don't think that Gregor being one of Dunk's descendants is such a huge stretch. The fact that someone's ancestor was a decent person doesn't mean that his descendants can't turn out monsters. It would be a sort of counterbalance to Brienne, who is basically Dunk reborn. Brienne, Hodor, Gregor and Sandor... didn't GRRM say that there were four Dunk descendants, or am I misremembering?

Is there a SSM on this? I don't recall ever reading this, but I do find it wildly intriguing! I've often wondered at how his shield ended up in the armory of Tarth, and the connection it has with Big Brienne.

As far as I know it's never confirmed, just hints that there is a descendant in the books.

SSM

Asked if he'll ever tell which character is Dunk's descendent. Got a rather acerbic, "I gave a pretty strong hint in the new book," to which I sheepishly replied "Yea, but I read it real fast, in three days."" I told him I suspected Brienne but thought that she was too obvious and that he'd be more subtle than that and he said, "You think?" Coy bastard.

Brienne aFfC:

The captain’s sister found her in the common room, drinking a cup of milk and honey with

three raw eggs mixed in. “You did beautifully,” she said, when the woman showed her the

freshly painted shield. It was more a picture than a proper coat of arms, and the sight of it took

her back through the long years, to the cool dark of her father’s armory. She remembered how

she’d run her fingertips across the cracked and fading paint, over the green leaves of the tree, and

along the path of the falling star.

Going back to the OP: I don't think that Gregor being one of Dunk's descendants is such a huge stretch. The fact that someone's ancestor was a decent person doesn't mean that his descendants can't turn out monsters. It would be a sort of counterbalance to Brienne, who is basically Dunk reborn. Brienne, Hodor, Gregor and Sandor... didn't GRRM say that there were four Dunk descendants, or am I misremembering?

He's never mentioned there being four, that's one of those things that comes up everytime we have one of these threads and no one can ever seem to find a quote to support it. :)

I thought it was heavily implied that Dunk hooked up with Rohanne before he and Egg left. She would have been wanting to make sure to have an heir for her new partly-politically motivated marriage. Apparently Dunk's height and knightly prowess made him quite the catch for the ladies. It's not hard to think up a scenario of him ending up on Tarth for some reason and drawing the attention of some Tarth lord's sister or daughter. We've already seen many scenarios in the books of families almost dying out without heirs, so one passing off a bastard fathered by Dunk or one of his children being inserted into the family line isn't that far-fetched.

Plus GRRM's heavily implied evidence of Dunk being on Tarth for some reason and the author telling us implicitly that one of Dunk's heirs is in the books all points to Brienne.

Other possiblities include Tallad the Tall, the Cleganes, Hodor, Left and Right, and Grenn in my opinion. But Brienne is definitely one of Dunk's descendants.

That would explain Brienne's freckles, inherited from her webber genes. The freakish tall thing can skip generations just like the freckles.

I like that exploration.

I'm afraid the elaborate sex scenes help cover over the subtle hints, allowing to overlook them. OT: Grrm said something like he never understood how so many readers did not get the Renly-Loras thing, he'd thought he'd written it plain and obvious. Sansa did not get it, either? She got even fewer clues than the readers...

Ah I get your post on bastards now, because Brienne is trueborn - quite so. It dosent matter that Old Nan isnt tall, people shrink with age - and as for her getting to Winterfell, isnt it said that Neds father brought her on as a servant girl

No, old people do not shrunk that much. It's impossible.

The Old Nan = Tanselle theory makes no sense. If you think Dunk got it on with Old Nan, it's far more likely to have happened in Winterfell, which we know is going to be the setting of the next Dunk and Egg story, "She-Wolves of Winterfell", than in Dorne.

I like that exploration.

I'm afraid the elaborate sex scenes help cover over the subtle hints, allowing to overlook them. OT: Grrm said something like he never understood how so many readers did not get the Renly-Loras thing, he'd thought he'd written it plain and obvious. Sansa did not get it, either? She got even fewer clues than the readers...

Sansa didn't really get any Loras/Renly clues, since she interacted with Loras just twice in the entire series. She did get the clue that Loras wasn't interested in her, though, even though she didn't know the reason why.

Wait wait wait

Dunk mounted her in the stables?

Never got that impression.

He kissed her, cut her braid and left.

Always leave them wanting more

He didn't cut off her braid, he cut off a lock of her hair. (Although I've seen the theory that the hair was not from her head... :D)

Sansa didn't really get any Loras/Renly clues, since she interacted with Loras just twice in the entire series. She did get the clue that Loras wasn't interested in her, though, even though she didn't know the reason why.

He didn't cut off her braid, he cut off a lock of her hair. (Although I've seen the theory that the hair was not from her head... :D)

"He reached under his cloak, brought out the braid and smiled."

If someone is the right height to kiss, then the definitely do not need to stand on the tips of their toes. Tanselle is too tall, taller than the average populace but she's the right height for Dunk. THe girl in Bran's vision is not the right height.

As far as what you're doing, it amounts to more than standing on your mental toes. That narrow an interpretation is quite the stretch.

Archived