[Spoilers] Breaking Bad - The whole thing felt kinda shady, y'know, morality-wise?

Bridgeburners

Skyler wasn't a character that I liked because yes she was hyprocrite, but come on put yourself in her place, I'm sure you would want Jesse dead too. She doesn't know him but she knows he has issues and can be dangerous, and he tried to burn down their house. He is a threat to her and her family.

So I'm just wondering, how does everyone feel about Skyler after the end?

I found her kinda annoying in the first season, but through the middle chunk of the show I really loved her and sympathized with her and her difficult position. I especially loved when she confronted Walt and called her on her shit.

But at the end, I couldn't help but feel like she's kind of a hypocrite. It was really season 5b that made me dislike her again. Particularly two things - telling Walt to stay quiet because the DEA will go after the money, and trying to convince Walt to kill Jesse. Especially the second part, she seemed so nonchalant about it. (I mean, she was shaken up about the gasoline thing, but she didn't seem to care at all that she was essentially ordering the death of a person.) This was basically the only time Walt and Skyler had an argument and I agreed with Walter.

I couldn't help but feel like she's kind of a hypocrite after that. I mean, she has been spending the whole show trying to detach herself from Walter because he's the kind of guy who "kills people and shrugs it off as 'shit happens'" (to paraphrase), and that's basically what she did in the hotel.

I never hated Skyler, or even really disliked her. I come from a pretty fucked up family and certain events in my life made it incredibly easy to sympathize with Skyler because I found her situation similar to my mom's. The only time I didn't like Skyler was when she was having an affair. Nobody can be excused when it comes to that, in my mind. But as far as a mother being lied to, then trying to protect the children from the father's lies, I totally understand that part. I think someone in the writers' room must have had a similar situation happen in their life, because I thought all the feelings were spot on.

I never hated Skyler, or even really disliked her. I come from a pretty fucked up family and certain events in my life made it incredibly easy to sympathize with Skyler because I found her situation similar to my mom's. The only time I didn't like Skyler was when she was having an affair. Nobody can be excused when it comes to that, in my mind. But as far as a mother being lied to, then trying to protect the children from the father's lies, I totally understand that part. I think someone in the writers' room must have had a similar situation happen in their life, because I thought all the feelings were spot on.

I'm actually okay with the "affair", because I don't really consider it an affair. At that point, she made it clear that she considered herself separated from him, and she didn't want him around. She was already pushing for a divorce (the only reason she didn't sign the paper at the end was because she wanted to make the car wash story work; as well, she believed that married couples don't have to be forced to testify against each other). She was trapped in a house where Walter was a dangerous criminal, and her son, as well as sister and brother-in-law thought she was just being a bitch, because she couldn't reveal the truth. She needed to find comfort somewhere, and I completely sympathize with her desire to be with Ted (even if he is a pretty thick douchebag).

The thing is, I can also sympathize with her need to keep Walter's secret so that the police don't seize everything. However, once it escalates to the fact that someone is going to die to keep their secrets, she should have realized that that's enough and bailed. Instead she encouraged killing Jesse.

Skyler wasn't a character that I liked because yes she was hyprocrite, but come on put yourself in her place, I'm sure you would want Jesse dead too. She doesn't know him but she knows he has issues and can be dangerous, and he tried to burn down their house. He is a threat to her and her family.

But that's the thing - I would measure a person's compassion with being able to value life even if they have no personal stake in the person's life. Turning themselves in would have also been a good solution to the Jesse problem, but that was not an option for her, because she wanted to protect the money, a motivation I can't get alongside with. It's like Walt's decision to kill the prisoners in order to protect the business and his freedom. Even though we didn't know any of them any better than Skyler knows Jesse, I still consider it a horrible thing that he did that.

Has it been discussed here (I went back 2 pages, I'm not trawling through 18) about the theory going around that Walt died in the car and everything else is actually him dreaming an end for himself? I don't buy it as VG says it isn't the case but it does actually work reasonably well and does address the issues so many have with how neatly Walt wraps things up.

Ah, the old Peyton Farquhar Hypothesis. I thought Felina was just about right, so I was thinking it was a cruel joke played upon us by the writers. At the end end I thought it might have been possible that the scene would have shifted from Walt, to one of the oncoming police officers holding a shotgun while walking forward, clearly scared. He opens the door to a snow covered Volvo to find a blue, lifeless Walt in the driver seat.

That would have been a punch in the gut.

I'm actually okay with the "affair", because I don't really consider it an affair. At that point, she made it clear that she considered herself separated from him, and she didn't want him around. She was already pushing for a divorce (the only reason she didn't sign the paper at the end was because she wanted to make the car wash story work; as well, she believed that married couples don't have to be forced to testify against each other). She was trapped in a house where Walter was a dangerous criminal, and her son, as well as sister and brother-in-law thought she was just being a bitch, because she couldn't reveal the truth. She needed to find comfort somewhere, and I completely sympathize with her desire to be with Ted (even if he is a pretty thick douchebag).

The thing is, I can also sympathize with her need to keep Walter's secret so that the police don't seize everything. However, once it escalates to the fact that someone is going to die to keep their secrets, she should have realized that that's enough and bailed. Instead she encouraged killing Jesse.

But that's the thing - I would measure a person's compassion with being able to value life even if they have no personal stake in the person's life. Turning themselves in would have also been a good solution to the Jesse problem, but that was not an option for her, because she wanted to protect the money, a motivation I can't get alongside with. It's like Walt's decision to kill the prisoners in order to protect the business and his freedom. Even though we didn't know any of them any better than Skyler knows Jesse, I still consider it a horrible thing that he did that.

Killing is a horrible thing to do, but killing someone who already killed others, and is trying to destroy you is a bit less horrible in my book. Keep in mind that Walter never explained anything to Skyler regarding Jesse. Her number one priority his Walt jr and Holly (and then the money). Leaving town doesn't seem like an easy option when your husband doesn't approve. She's not gonna leave them behind, and Jr is not gonna leave that easy with his thousand questions.

How about spinoffs? Better Call Saul is said to (to my surprise) be more dark than humorous. I am still trying to pitch a meth sitcom (methcom?) starring Jesse, Skinny Pete and Badger, pre-Breaking Bad when they were just low level guys.

Let's call it The Captains of Cook. A title fitting of a proper edgy comedy.

I think that was the point though. The lies he made to his son and the deception were something you simply cannot do. He ruined his son's life. What is money when your reputation is forever stained by Heisenberg? Miley Cyrus was recently destroyed by the public and media for basically nothing but embarrassing herself. Jr's dad was the biggest meth cook and criminal that the Southwest had seen. Everyone that meets him will ask "Wasn't your dad that huge drug lord?"

I think for the stain Walt left on his son's life, he doesn't deserve Jr's forgiveness.

see.I look at it a different way.Heisenberg is gonna be a legend and how cool wouldd it be for jr when ppl see him and say hey ur dad was badass.....when the tape from the nazi compund is looked at and they see that gun that Walt set up his notoriety will grow even more.In today's societies many drug lords are looked at as heroes.Kids are gonna be playing and everyone's gonna wanna be Heisenberg....books will be written..movies made...so I know Walt really hurt jr but I think he should have understood why his dad did what he did.......now ppl might even wonder if jr is really disabled or since he's the son of Heisenberg...maybe he's like kaisa soze

I enjoyed the finale. Walt completed his last mission by taking down those who wronged him. He accepted that he was going to die, and died in a lab, with a smile on his face. The last glance between him and Jesse was cool as well. They both looked at each other and realized that they have both pissed each other off too many times beyond count, and realized that they both have helped each other too. So they parted with that slight head nod. Walt dying was proper. He was going to die eventually since the cancer was back, and decided to die on his own terms which I liked a lot. Walt is a great anti-hero with all of the black/white choices he made throughout the series which is why he is so conflicted. I love that so much about the story. I hate predictability and strictly white/black characters. Walt, without question, falls in the realm of a grey character; along with pretty much every character in the show besides Jr.

see.I look at it a different way.Heisenberg is gonna be a legend and how cool wouldd it be for jr when ppl see him and say hey ur dad was badass.....when the tape from the nazi compund is looked at and they see that gun that Walt set up his notoriety will grow even more.In today's societies many drug lords are looked at as heroes.Kids are gonna be playing and everyone's gonna wanna be Heisenberg....books will be written..movies made...so I know Walt really hurt jr but I think he should have understood why his dad did what he did.......now ppl might even wonder if jr is really disabled or since he's the son of Heisenberg...maybe he's like kaisa soze

I didn't think of that, and your take is very interesting. However, I think those cases tend to be the bosses who are open. Like Capone, Pablo Escobar, etc. People know who they are, and they often had local law enforcement on their side. With Walt, Heisenberg was a complete alter ego. Plus, even if others think it is badass, Jr. will be sad because he'll remember back when the Whites were a simple, modest, but happy and loving family.

The last glance between him and Jesse was cool as well. They both looked at each other and realized that they have both pissed each other off too many times beyond count, and realized that they both have helped each other too. So they parted with that slight head nod.

I loved how it (to me) represented how they both always needed eachother. Both were living lives that just weren't them. Jesse was a low-life methhead that cooked to support his addiction. Walt was an underachieving high school chemistry teacher, working two jobs and unsatisfied with his life, always dreaming bigger. So the two teams up and continually rose higher. But on the path, they were drawn into these dangerous situations that required great sacrifices, great choices. These choices allowed them to shape who they were; great moments that defined them. And they rose high, always being tested and forced to make another major decision in a moment that would stick with both of them forever. And when they hit the top, they finally knew who they were ("Say my name" and Jesse's out). But then the two clashed. As they finally accepted who they were, they realized they could not coexist. But then in the final moments, they realize that they owe everything they've learned of themselves to each other. Then as they finally part, they accept not only who they are, but that that they needed each other the whole time. Without each other, they would still be living lives they didn't see as their own.

Before we advance to yet another installment of this discussion, I would like to thank the collective fans here. With most of you, I enjoy our debates and conversations about our beloved show and enjoy that we can have them all in good humor.

Long Live Heisenberg!

I can't remember: does Walt tell Skyler that he didn't kill Hank? Did she already know? I'm wondering if there is at least a way for Marie and Jr. to know that much about Walt; that for all he did, he never did that.

He told her just prior to the knife fight, then again in the final conversation. I suppose she believed him the 2nd time.

Also, was looking at old episodes and noticed that it's Todd that seems to convince his uncle to let Walt go after killing Hank AND give him a barrel. There was talk about Heisenberg being effective at the end because he had no ties and only dying when he became Walt to save Jesse, but that's basically Todd. The only time he gets fucked is when he gives in to foreign impulses, attraction, pity, respect, those strange glitches in the software that humans call "emotions". The dude can't get away with anything. He lets the darkness come before him one time (well, twice), and everything goes to shit.

He told her just prior to the knife fight, then again in the final conversation. I suppose she believed him the 2nd time.

The first time he says "I tried to save him!" which is a bit ambiguous. The second time, he says something about how he is going after Hank's killers.

I didn't think of that, and your take is very interesting. However, I think those cases tend to be the bosses who are open. Like Capone, Pablo Escobar, etc. People know who they are, and they often had local law enforcement on their side. With Walt, Heisenberg was a complete alter ego. Plus, even if others think it is badass, Jr. will be sad because he'll remember back when the Whites were a simple, modest, but happy and loving family.

Everyone knew the name "Heisenberg". It was spray painted on his wall (presumably by some kids), and the name was mentioned by Gretchen on Charlie Rose.

Walt Jr. will understand that Walter's actions tore up the family and killed Hank... and he'd be right in that understanding. For someone whose life was destroyed, and whose biggest role model was killed (let's face it, he looked up to Hank more than Walt), listening to people on the streets talk about how "awesome" Heisenberg is would just be a further twist of the knife in his heart (IMO). Could you imagine someone destroying your life, and then being idolized by the public?

Everyone knew the name "Heisenberg". It was spray painted on his wall (presumably by some kids), and the name was mentioned by Gretchen on Charlie Rose.

I mean like openly a criminal. Like no alter egos or whatever. If Walter White was the meth lord (while still cooking), not Heisenberg the cook and Walt the family man. One life.

I must confess, even though Walt doesn't deserve Jr's forgiveness, I love the idea of him asking Skyler what happened to his Dad (which he inevitably would); "well basically, the guys who's compound he was found out? They threatened me and Holly.....so...... he rigged up an M80 to fire from a car alarm and wiped the whole lot out." He'd fight it, but part of him would find that pretty cool.

Archived