What are you reading in October

mashiara

It's that time of the month again, kids. Do share what you are reading, it makes the class happy, it makes the teacher happier.

I just finished The Killing Moon by N.K.Jemisin and I thought it was an excellent read, well written and well researched and with a setting quite refreshing.

I'm planning on starting the Shadowed Sun by the same author later today, the second book of the duology.

This is my plan for October:

Thanks everybody! Right now the plan will be:

The Devil You Know by Mike Carey (I'll likely be starting this one before the end of this month)
Salem's Lot by Stephen King
The Sorcerer's House by Gene Wolfe
October Country by Ray Bradbury
The Ritual by Adam Nevill
Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge

I might slip in The Walking Dead Book 9 if I have a free afternoon one Sunday. If I have time (doubtful) I'll also read The Dark Earth. I'm really looking forward to doing this "theme" month, I've never done anything like this before and I'm very excited. Thanks again!

Today I finished Broken Angels by Richard Morgan. It was very good, and very different from Altered Carbon. In fact it quite reminded me of James S.A. Corey's The Expanse, particularly Abaddon's Gate - although only because I read those first as Broken Angels was obviously written first. The post climax wrap up was quite good, and evoked a very strong sense of déjà vu of when I read AC. Do all of Morgan's books have that same style of wrap up? I won't be waiting six years in between reading books two and three as I did between one and two.

And I've started The Devil You Know by Mike Carey - good opening!

Just finished Return of a King (not that one) by William Dalrymple, about the first British invasion of Afghanistan. I know completely nil about the period and the topic and I thought it was a well-written and very enjoyable read. I especially liked how the author used sources from both the British and Afghans and just generally how he spun the tale.

Next on the list is the second Mistborn book- the first one was a purchase to tide me through endless airports and flights during the Christmas travel period and I thought it was a good light page-turner.

Still reading Moon Over Soho and really enjoying it. I like how light and quick they are to read. I'm severely hungover today so I doubt I'll be doing much more than reading :laugh:

I bought Looking for JJ by Anne Cassidy the other day, due to talking to my housemate about child killers and the possibility of looking into the area for my dissertation.

I've also heard about a book that I can't find anywhere for a decent price, and I really want to read it. It's called Ishamel, the author's name escapes me though.

I finished Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler. A stunning book about a strange woman who can't speak or understand spoken language who was found near a Chinese workers camp in Washington Territory in 1873. It's either a historical novel or first contact SF, depending on how you read it - it works well both as SF and mainstream. It's about perceptions, prejudices, gender and so much more. It's a depressing story and all main characters are outsiders struggling with life, but Fowler's elegant wit successfully lightens the mood when necessary.

It's almost hard to believe that it is Fowler's debut novel - it's so well written and technically superb. Of course, Fowler was one of the top short story writers in SFF for years before this was published. Still, it's remarkably coherent and skilfully paced for a first novel. Highly recommended.

Rather belatedly going through the Watch series by Sergey Lukyanenko and really enjoying it. I'm not sure what it says about me personally but I think I prefer the chapters from the evil perspective to those from the hero's point of view.

Malice - john Gwynne. Trying my hardest on this debut.

Kinslayer - jay kristoff. No problem here.

Reread D&E tales. Perfect.

The shinning - king. Keep picturing movie.

Reread Name of the wind-Rothfuss. Still good.

Leviathan wakes-Corey. Love it so far.

Also, just completed my set of the limited signed editions of The broken empire triogly - Lawrence. Some of my new favorites without a doubt.

Still on Best Served Cold at the minute, enjoying all the references to the FL trilogy but not as engrossed yet as I was for the original 3.

Planning to finish off the Abercrombies with The Heroes and Red Country, before moving on to either Prince of Thorns or Locke Lamora.

Started Time for Yesterday by A.C. Crispin, it's #39 in the Star Trek series from Pocket Books. It was a gift from my uncle several years ago and I've finally decided to read it.

The plan for the rest of the month is as follows as of today:

To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 by Tad Williams

Timetrap by David Dvorkin (another Star Trek pocket book)

To Green Angel Tower, Part 2 by Tad Williams

Currently reading Last Argument of Kings, when I'm done with the First Law trilogy I plan on starting the Prince of Nothing series, I've heard great things about it and I hope it doesn't disappoint. Although I might read something light in between, perhaps another Dexter book, or YOU by Austin Grossman.

Archived