Why do people hate Tyrion?

Lady Isobel

One of my favorite characters in ASOIAF is Tyrion. He is very clever, has a great sense of humour, is quite perceptive (ok not where Shae is concerned), tries to do the right thing most of the time and is quite vulnerable (he craves for love and appreciation but keeps getting disappointed). From what I've been reading here in the Forum I see that a lot of people hate him so I wanted to know why?

I will agree that raping Tysha was a horrible thing to do but only in hindsight (at the time he thought she was just a deceiving whore) but I just can't find anything else in his arc that is so appaling (Tywin and Shae got what they deserved in my opinion). So Tyrion haters would you like to shed some light in the matter?

Personally I don't hate Tyrion.

But raping even "deceiving whores" is wrong.

And murdering Shae doesn't get a pass with me either, considering how he had treated her.

Of course rape is wrong but he was extremely hurt and wanted to hurt her back. I think he treated Shae very well, considering what she was. He loved her and wanted her to love him back and she ridiculed him during his trial and then slept with his father (or had been sleeping with him all along, who knows?)

then slept with his father (or had been sleeping with him all along, who knows?)

So? She is a whore that is her job and isn't like Tyrion was paying her anymore to be loyal only to him.

I don't hate Tyrion, but I do acknowledge that he is still a pretty dark character at times.

I need to paraphrase Sheldon Cooper now:

"Previously, I felt sympathy for the Leonard Tyrion character, now I just find him to be whiny and annoying"

I mean, if you're going to have your character do despicable shit, at least make him entertaining like Cersei. I remember how I laughed at Tyrion's chapters in aGoT, for example, with gems like this:

"And this is Bronn, a sellsword of no particular allegiance. In fact, he's switched sides twice during the short time I've known him, so I think you two will get along just fine, Father" (or something like that, I don't have the books now)

I dont hate him, but I know most people do cause had non consensual sex with a girl in ADWD which I do agree is bad, but I don't hate his character as a whole.

Edit: Also cause he has "plot armour" :P

She was a whore in a brothel and he paid her, that was bussines not rape IMO. She didn't enjoy sleeping with him but let's be realistic, that is probably something that would happen quite often in her line of bussines, I'm pretty sure most men who go tho brothels are not like Jaime.

I do get the fact that having plot armour can get annoying, I get that feeling about Dany.

The thing that turned me off Tyrion is when, shortly after marrying Sansa, he resentfully remembered how she refused to kneel for him to fasten the cloak. He honestly thought, given her situation being beaten, threatened and forced into marriage with a family she hates, that his dignity should be at the top of her priority list.

He's a self-absorbed brat who uses people. In my opinion.

I don't hate Tyrion he's one of my favorite characters actually, but do people really hate him on here as much as you claim? the only really awful thing he ever did was rape Tysha at Tywins command, is that really something to hate him over he made a mistake and he's completely guilt ridden over it, hell people might as well hate Jaime even though he's changed he did try to murder a 7 year old.

I don't hate Tyrion he's one of my favorite characters actually, but do people really hate him on here as much as you claim? the only really awful thing he ever did was rape Tysha at Tywins command, is that really something to hate him over he made a mistake and he's completely guilt ridden over it, hell people might as well hate Jaime even though he's changed he did try to murder a 7 year old.

Some people really do hate Tyrion that much. I've seen one poster put Tyrions mocking of the Nights Watch put on the same level as having someone murdered, and no one batted an eye at it.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

I think he treated Shae very well, considering what she was.

He made her work for Lollys, while still putting out for him for free. And basically told her that if and when it was over she would get nothing from him. He was able to get away with it yes, but treating her very well? Scarcely.

I don't hate him but I just really dislike how fucking weird/ gross/one dimensional his inner monologue has become. With septa Lemore every other sentence was "something something want to fuck you". Seriously he's a noseless, deformed dwarf how much game does he think he has?

I dislike Tyrion when he tries to blame his problems on him being a dwarf. I wish he'd been present for Donal Noyes conversation with Jon after he arrived at the NW and learns to stop acting like a spoilt brat. People don't hate Tyrion because he's a dwarf they hate him because he's a dwarf but still acts like he's better then everyone around him.

The thing that turned me off Tyrion is when, shortly after marrying Sansa, he resentfully remembered how she refused to kneel for him to fasten the cloak. He honestly thought, given her situation being beaten, threatened and forced into marriage with a family she hates, that his dignity should be at the top of her priority list.

He's a self-absorbed brat who uses people. In my opinion.

He was never cruel to her though. He actually protected her when Joffrey was abusing her and he never forced her to sleep with him (even though it would have been within his rights as her husband). He has been ridiculed all his life and Sansa's action gave people another thing to mock him about.

I dislike Tyrion when he tries to blame his problems on him being a dwarf. I wish he'd been present for Donal Noyes conversation with Jon after he arrived at the NW and learns to stop acting like a spoilt brat. People don't hate Tyrion because he's a dwarf they hate him because he's a dwarf but still acts like he's better then everyone around him.

That's what, 99% of the time? :cool4:

Seriously, good post, I agree.

Archived