NHL 2013-14 - Yes, there's a thread for that

Jabronius Maximus

My beloved Devils don't open until Thursday, but I have the center ice package again this year and just turned on Winnipeg @ Edmonton. Ahhhhh hockey...

Another Devils fan, right on! I hope they start strong, and get some much needed scoring from Ryder and Clowe, to help fill the void of Kovalchuck and Clarkson being gone.

The Oilers looked good at times but tended to break down defensively a bit too much last night. The Jets weren't much better, but at least went away with a win, and our goalie is somewhat more seasoned. Plus, the Jets managed to capitalize on some poor clearing plays from the Oilers, like Trouba's shot from the point.

It looks like both teams are going to have to work on some things, like the pp and pk when it comes to the Jets. Their special teams last night, while not bad, necessarily, doesn't appear to have improved much since last season. And if they hope to make the playoffs this year, they will have to improve upon last year's league worst pp. The pk I am not so worried about because they improved over the year and if last year went to 82 games, the Jets' pk would have ranked higher than 24th. Both need improvement, but IMO the Jets' pp is more vital.

The Jets have a solid lineup top to bottom, so I think they'll figure it out soon enough. I'm still baffled why the Oilers coaches don't put Hall and Yakupov together. Those 2 were magic at the end of last season; they really seemed to bring the best out of each other. But no, they just have to throw Smyth on the top line.

Man, the Dead Things are all over Buffalo right now, they look really good.

By the way, how crazy is it that Ryan Miller is likely to not make the Olympic team this year? He is still good, but man, Team USA might be taking by far the best pair of netminders to Sochi.

Interesting thing I heard in the pre-game show, Detroit will be travelling 8,000 less miles and will have 11 more days compared to what they used to have during the season for practice or rest. Gotta think Columbus gets the same benefit. I wonder what effect if any that will have on the two clubs.

Might? The States' goaltending depth is completely insane. They are by far the best in the world at that position.

Re: Detroit/Columbus - not only that, they also have a pretty significant reduction in time-zone changes, which should lead to fewer unseasonably late games (IE a 7 PM game in LA starts at 10 PM EST... and Detroit is in the Eastern time zone).

Yeah and for Canada we're stuck with the likes of Luongo, Corey Crawford and Mike Smith. They're perfectly capable in their own right, but they have some issues and are a clear step below the overall group of Quick, Howard, Schneider, Miller, and Anderson. Hell even young John Gibson is turning heads at camp.

Yeah and for Canada we're stuck with the likes of Luongo, Corey Crawford and Mike Smith. They're perfectly capable in their own right, but they have some issues and are a clear step below the overall group of Quick, Howard, Schneider, Miller, and Anderson. Hell even young John Gibson is turning heads at camp.

It's absurd. Hopefully, before the Olympics we'll just give the job to Luongo or Crawford, rubber-stamp it, and go with it (seriously, Mike fucking Smith!). I know that going from Brodeur to Luongo worked last time, but it as by far the most worrisome thing about that tournament.

My beloved Devils don't open until Thursday, but I have the center ice package again this year and just turned on Winnipeg @ Edmonton. Ahhhhh hockey...

Another Devils fan, right on! I hope they start strong, and get some much needed scoring from Ryder and Clowe, to help fill the void of Kovalchuck and Clarkson being gone.

Yes! :devil: I think the loss of Kovy won't be too bad since his heart wasn't really in it, and long term...we were able to rid ourselves of that idiotic contract. Clarkson is going to hurt. Also...will this be the final year of Marty? It's going to be so weird without him :mellow:

You would think we'd have A guy, though, who hadn't been hung out to dry by his team the way Luongo has. I think that's Crawford right now, but even he had a down year only two years ago (if my memory serves). IDK, I think I just got too used to Brodeur always being there, and a consistent stable of dudes behind him.

You would think we'd have A guy, though, who hadn't been hung out to dry by his team the way Luongo has. I think that's Crawford right now, but even he had a down year only two years ago (if my memory serves). IDK, I think I just got too used to Brodeur always being there, and a consistent stable of dudes behind him.

And Roy before that. Man...you guys were spoiled! :P

Archived