NHL 2013-14 - Yes, there's a thread for that

Jabronius Maximus

The third page? That's unacceptable.

Just got back from Nationwide then went to the Brewery district, so I'm a little drunk and pretty happy.

The Jackets are right about where I'd thought they would be after scaring me to open the season, and Gabby all of the sudden has five goals already. Should be a fun season.

The Jets are where everyone else expects them to be, namely straddling the line between an above .500 season and a below .500 season. I think this season is crucial, not to make the playoffs necessarily, but to allow our young kids to grow into their new roles. We have two teenagers in this lineup, and while one is adapting well, the other looks like a little kid out there more often than not. If these young kids can continue to grow (although Trouba is still recovering from his failed attempt to eat the boards from a few games ago) and learn, the Jets may yet make the playoffs. If not, then I can't see this team making it, at least not in the Central Division.

Pretty happy to see (well, "see" - game's not on TV) the Leafs getting past Pittsburgh on the second night of a back-to-back. Had this marked down for a 4-1 loss, went the other way instead.

Just got back from Nationwide then went to the Brewery district, so I'm a little drunk and pretty happy.

The Jackets are right about where I'd thought they would be after scaring me to open the season, and Gabby all of the sudden has five goals already. Should be a fun season.

:cheers:

Columbus doesn't have a talent like Crosby or Tavares, but this season they are making up for it by having a really strong team game.

The Devils might be finding their groove indeed. A low scoring, tight defensive team is what they are, and that will equate to a good number of wins.

Contrast that with the Oilers, who appear to be headed for a season-long nosedive. The trouble is they're actually playing pretty well, but it's always a different issue which results in a loss. Sometimes it's goaltending, defense, bad luck, but it's always something. Has a team ever drafted first overall 4 times in 5 seasons in any pro sport? If not, we might end up being the first.

Varlamov has now been allowed to leave jail...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=689356

ETA: I originally posted another link. However, that article made several claims about Varlamov's personal life as well as revealed the name of the woman who is pressing charges. Until we know more about what has actually happened, it doesn't seem appropriate to link to that kind of info.

Nonetheless, this makes me feel rather :frown5:

Despicable showing by the Flyers today. They get hammered 7-0, then decide to just pound on every Capital on the ice. Emery beats the shit out of Holtby, then continues to hit him when he's down. And the Philly media named Emery a 3rd star! I don't care if that's done as a mockery, but this is ridiculous.

This is the single reason I despise the Flyers as a franchise. When they're down, they just lay beatings and cheap shots on their opponents rather than focusing on working through it. They are the sorest of losers in pro sports.

Stay classy, Philadelphia.

/rant

The Flyers are thugs, have always been thugs, like being thugs, and show little sign of ever not being thugs. Is it bad I wish Holtby had simply kept ahold of his stick and used it once Emery ripped his helmet off? Emery came out and said, basically, "He didn't want to fight, I told him to protect himself, he didn't have much of a choice." Asshole. Wish Holtby had protected himself with his stick.

The Flyers are my most-despised team in hockey, and have been for a long time, but even moreso now I genuinely hope they lose all of their games and fuck up their draft pick next draft. I actually like Vinnie Lecavelier (don't know much about Downie) but having those two miss significant games due to this seems just, and I hope Emery gets a solid suspension.

Well the Oilers broke a 120+ min goalless streak tonight on the way to a win, so I know how that feels.

But the Devils' season might get a little longer...Marty suggested he may waive his no trade clause if the Devils aren't contenders by the deadline. I'm no Devils fan, but seeing Marty in a different jersey would be jarring.

As for who would take a run at Marty, my best guess would be the Islanders if they're in the mix later in the season.

Well the Oilers broke a 120+ min goalless streak tonight on the way to a win, so I know how that feels.

But the Devils' season might get a little longer...Marty suggested he may waive his no trade clause if the Devils aren't contenders by the deadline. I'm no Devils fan, but seeing Marty in a different jersey would be jarring.

As for who would take a run at Marty, my best guess would be the Islanders if they're in the mix later in the season.

Seeing Martin Brodeur in another teams jersey would absolutely break my heart. He has his rings, there is no reason not to finish his career as a Devil.

It's nice to see the Wild start to score some goals, after dominating puck possession early in the season only to shoot an abysmally low percentage.

Mikael Granlund has really improved in just about every area, but it's most noticeable with his skating. Dare I say, he's actually fast now, and has developed quite a bit of chemistry with Jason Pominville, who the Wild acquired at last years trade deadline from the Buffalo Sabres. The current LW on the Granlund-Pominville line, Nino Niederreiter, has been a nice upgrade over fan favorite bottom-sixer Cal Clutterbuck.

Not that we'll contend for the cup this year, but it's nice to see some progress.

My thoughts on the worst team in the league so far...

On one hand, it's fascinating that a team with Miller and Enroth can be this bad. On the other hand, it does kind of make sense, since Ron Rolston looks like the worst coach in the league*. Adding to that, the roster is full of youngsters with little experience of playing at this level (Girgensons, Zadorov, Pysyk, Grigorenko, Ristolainen) playing in significant roles. The result is a mess, and only Hodgson and the newly acquired Moulson have been consistently producing points.

* I want to wait at least until 2014 before I form an opinion on Berube in Philadelphia, and I believe that Eakins in Edmonton will be able to string together some wins before the season is over.

1 goal in the last 4 home games for the Oilers...this has to be a drought of historic proportions.

They are playing flat and uninspiring hockey, and are reaching the crossroads where they'll either rise, or continue to wallow in mediocrity for a long time. And I have a strong feeling it will be the latter.

Archived