Liam Cunningham's Davos "Secret"

Deric Bonbarrion

(I posted this in the book forum rather than the one for the show, because presumably the "secret" is in the past or upcoming books).

In a Thronecast interview, Liam Cunningham revealed that GRRM had told him a major secret about his character (it's about six minutes into the video). Interestingly, Liam bought this up after the interviewer asked about whether he thinks Davos will ever succumb to the temptation for power, although he said that he "[doesn't] see" Davos getting power-hungry any time soon.

So what do you think the major Davos development will be? He seemed to be quite excited about how it's going to play out in the show. Do you think the secret is something that has already happened in the books (i.e. Davos going North, or his fake death, or his quest to Skagos)? Or do you think Liam's been told something more major that is coming up (TWOW, ADOS)?

Sorry if this has been covered before, I'm new 'round these parts.

Everyone was excited about the "half done" side comment (which probably doesn't mean much),

but yeah... this has been on my mind the whole time.

I'm curious to know some real theories here. I assume the "secret" has to do with the character of Davos?

The fact that GRRM took Liam Cunningham aside and told him a secret seems to mean that it must be specifically about Davos. I'm hoping Davos gets to do something really cool towards the final act.

Davos and Rickon are intertrwined right now and I suspect are already back in Westeros and may be with Glover's host near Winterfell, hidden and waiting to strike Bolton forces when the opportunity arrives. See my previous post " The Davos Timeline"

It does imply that Davos's loyalty to Stannis will reach its end, which would make sense (as I feel) that GRRM is trying to acomplish something specific with his character. That is that undying loyalty given to a cause is something often used in stories and that those that remain true are shown as examples to be followed. Yet loyalty like this is given at the expense of all things.

Davos is a secret Targ!

Why not? Everyone else is.

Seriously though, I'm hoping he ends up being the new kingmaker. Don't care which king, as I'm sure Davos would make a good choice.

you know, i just realized WHY davos seemed so boring to me... there was never any question or doubt about his loyalty throughout the whole series so far.... it stands to reason, then, that since he is gone after rickon, something big is going to cause a shift in how we percieve him.

Why not? Everyone else is.

Seriously though, I'm hoping he ends up being the new kingmaker. Don't care which king, as I'm sure Davos would make a good choice.

Anyone born in Kingslanding with an unkown father could be...

There's something about Davos that just bugs me.

A smuggler by nature should be treacherous, not be the most honourable man in Westeros.

It's constantly mentioned there are old sellswords and bold sellswords but there are no old bold sellswords.

Surely there are no old honourable smugglers?

Archived