Liam Cunningham's Davos "Secret"

Deric Bonbarrion

My bet is that is has something to do with the limits of Davos's loyalty. My guess is that Davos will be put in another Edric Storm situation, except this time the only choice is do something unconscionable for Stannis or betray him once and for all.

Anyone born in Kingslanding with an unkown father could be...

There's something about Davos that just bugs me.

A smuggler by nature should be treacherous, not be the most honourable man in Westeros.

It's constantly mentioned there are old sellswords and bold sellswords but there are no old bold sellswords.

Surely there are no old honourable smugglers?

Actually a bit of honor could get you far as a smuggler. If people know you aren't going to stiff them, they are less likely to gut you like a fish. If you get a reputation as being good, and keeping your end of the bargain people normally bereft of honor will be less likely to screw you because it means whoever takes your place might be the one screwing them.

My bet is that is has something to do with the limits of Davos's loyalty. My guess is that Davos will be put in another Edric Storm situation, except this time the only choice is do something unconscionable for Stannis or betray him once and for all.

Actually a bit of honor could get you far as a smuggler. If people know you aren't going to stiff them, they are less likely to gut you like a fish. If you get a reputation as being good, and keeping your end of the bargain people normally bereft of honor will be less likely to screw you because it means whoever takes your place might be the one screwing them.

Davos has more than a bit of honour.

Smuggling is all about going outside the law for personal gain but every time Davos is presented with a choice between right/honourable and personal gain or gain on the behalf of Stannis he chooses honour.

It could be that his wife and two younger sons die (I've always had a bad feeling about their survival) and that causes him to question what he has really been supporting/sacrificing for all this time.

He could easily end up becoming a kingmaker, though for which king it's hard to say. Or crazy stuff ends up happening and he becomes King himself (okay, extremely unlikely but this would make me happy) or a dragonrider (again extremely unlikely).

Whatever it is, I'm just glad it seems like Davos is going to become even more bamf.

Whatever it is, I'm just glad it seems like Davos is going to become even more bamf.

Yes. My dream is that he teams up with Jon. Oh man, a girl can dream. Davos is actually my third favorite character in the series. The dude is just great. Hes like Ned with a lot of street smarts. <333

Yes. My dream is that he teams up with Jon. Oh man, a girl can dream. Davos is actually my third favorite character in the series. The dude is just great. Hes like Ned with a lot of street smarts. <333

Florina Stark, I completely agree! I think it would be epic if he ended up being a figurative "Lightbringer", especially if Jon is AAR. Imagine that drama: Stannis thinks he's been wielding LB, turns out to actually be his Hand whose had enough of this noble bickering (especially after the loss of his remaining family) and helps lead the true fight against the Others. Jon takes whatever throne and makes Davos (who has taken the Stark kids under his wing and become an adoptive father to them) Hand.

Yes, this is totally entering dream territory but like you said... :)

Davos has more than a bit of honour.

Smuggling is all about going outside the law for personal gain but every time Davos is presented with a choice between right/honourable and personal gain or gain on the behalf of Stannis he chooses honour.

Many smugglers saw themselves as performing a valuable service for the community by allowing people to get goods at a lower cost. If Davos changed significantly since his smuggler days, it's possible that's what he used to justify it to himself.

Florina Stark, I completely agree! I think it would be epic if he ended up being a figurative "Lightbringer", especially if Jon is AAR. Imagine that drama: Stannis thinks he's been wielding LB, turns out to actually be his Hand whose had enough of this noble bickering (especially after the loss of his remaining family) and helps lead the true fight against the Others. Jon takes whatever throne and makes Davos (who has taken the Stark kids under his wing and become an adoptive father to them) Hand.

Yes, this is totally entering dream territory but like you said... :)

I love the ideia of Davos being a figurative "Lightbringer". Davos has a great path ahead of him.

Davos retrieves Rickon, The GNC happens and Stannis is told to bugger off Rickon is our King. Stannis tries to burn Rickon out of revenge and Davos kills him to stop him siding with the North? Or similar thing but Davos takes Rickon to the wall for his brother instead of Manderly and Mel tries burning him for Kings Blood and he kills Mel?

My guesses but they don't strike me as secrets as such.

The whole asoiaf story was just a dream and at the end Davos wakes up and is the only real character, but he's actually living in 21st century lancashire, UK and is a long distance truck driver. Omg, I think I just blew the whole thing apart :o

This seems like an appropriate time to reveal one of my little secrets. I have been unable to shake the feeling that Davos died on the Blackwater and has somehow been resurrected. It seems like all the other gods have a representative or two somewhere around. Davos would be the representative of The Seven. I know this doesn't really make any sense (that's why I try to ignore this feeling). Anyhow, it will be fun to find out what secret GRRM told Liam Cunningham. I hope the next book comes out soon(ish).

This seems like an appropriate time to reveal one of my little secrets. I have been unable to shake the feeling that Davos died on the Blackwater and has somehow been resurrected. It seems like all the other gods have a representative or two somewhere around. Davos would be the representative of The Seven. I know this doesn't really make any sense (that's why I try to ignore this feeling). Anyhow, it will be fun to find out what secret GRRM told Liam Cunningham. I hope the next book comes out soon(ish).

I've seen a similar theory somewhere on this board but it was The drowned god not the seven that saved him.

Archived