Liam Cunningham's Davos "Secret"

Deric Bonbarrion

I've seen a similar theory somewhere on this board but it was The drowned god not the seven that saved him.

Yes, I can definitely see where someone would speculate about the drowned god. However, the weird sequence with the mother and the fact that the Seven don't seem to have actually done anything yet makes me think about the Seven in relation to Davos. Having said that, I have also thought that the force (for lack of a better word) that is resurrecting people may not actually be connected to any of the gods and whatever belief structure the person has is how they experience this event. We know Davos is a follower of the Seven.

Another thing that has been rolling around in my head is that GRRM has shown us resurrected Catelyn after her death, but we can't see inside her head so we have no idea how much of the woman we knew is still there. What is the likelihood that with Davos he is showing us a resurrected POV without telling us that that individual has been resurrected? The reason this question is bothering me is that I wonder what the implications might be for Jon. I would like to think that Jon is not dead, but merely wounded. However, this Davos thing has had me worried.

ETA: Forgot to say the weird sequence was the Mother.

Yes, I can definitely see where someone would speculate about the drowned god. However, the weird sequence with the mother and the fact that the Seven don't seem to have actually done anything yet makes me think about the Seven in relation to Davos. Having said that, I have also thought that the force (for lack of a better word) that is resurrecting people may not actually be connected to any of the gods and whatever belief structure the person has is how they experience this event. We know Davos is a follower of the Seven.

Another thing that has been rolling around in my head is that GRRM has shown us resurrected Catelyn after her death, but we can't see inside her head so we have no idea how much of the woman we knew is still there. What is the likelihood that with Davos he is showing us a resurrected POV without telling us that that individual has been resurrected? The reason this question is bothering me is that I wonder what the implications might be for Jon. I would like to think that Jon is not dead, but merely wounded. However, this Davos thing has had me worried.

ETA: Forgot to say the weird sequence was the Mother.

In the case of Davos if he was resurrected it's only been the once and his body is in perfect condition (barring his fingers of course) so the resurrection occurred pretty quickly whiich might be why he can still have a POV and not UnCat. Also UnCat was left to pretty much rot for a while before she was brought back and had gone pretty insane before her death which likely contributed to her extra crazyness. Beric remember got worse the more times he was brought back and he garnered many a horrible wound each time he died. That can put a mental strain on anybody. Could be each resurrection didn't make him less himself but just added a layer of PTSD or other mental issues resulting from each horrible likely painful death he endured. In which case Davos who thinks he survived the drowning would be perfectly healthy.

I don't believe in the theory of him being resurrected personally but if it is true that's a few ideas I cooked up to explain why he seems fine and has a POV and could help Jon if he's brought back too.

No problem. This comes from Chapter 5 of ASOS:

..."Mother have mercy," Davos prayed. "Save me, gentle Mother, save us all. My luck is gone, and my sons." He was weeping freely now, salt tears streaming down his cheeks. "The fire took it all...the fire..."

Perhaps it was only wind blowing against the rock, or the sound of the sea on the shore, but for an instant Davos Seaworth heard her answer. "You called the fire," she whispered, her voice as faint as the sound of waves in a seashell, sad and soft. "You burned us...burned us...burrrned usssssss."

"It was her!" Davos cried. "Mother, don't forsake us. It was her who burned you, the red woman, Melisandre, her!"...

"It was her work," Davos said again, more weakly. Her work, and yours, onion knight. You rowed her into Storm's End in the black of night, so she might loose her shadow child. You are not guiltless, no. You rode beneath her banner and flew it from your mast. You watched the Seven burn at Dragonstone, and did nothing. She gave the Father's justice to the fire, and the Mother's mercy, and the wisdom of the Crone. Smith and Stranger, Maid and Warrior, she burnt them all to the glory of her cruel god, and you stood and held your tongue. Even when she killed old Maester Cressen, even then, you did nothing.

This is the section (with some editting to make it shorter) that I was talking about. By itself it really doesn't suggest all that much. It could just be Davos chastising himself. However, when Davos realizes that the ship that is rescuing him belongs to Salladhor he thinks this:

The Mother sent her here, the Mother in her mercy. She had a task for him. Stannis lives, he knew then. I have a king still. And sons, I have other sons, and a wife loyal and loving. How could he have forgotten? The Mother was merciful indeed.

This part reminded me of Beric Dondarrion and made me wonder if it was possible that Davos had died and been resurrected. I really hope not, because I don't think those who have been resurrected will continue live after the Others have been defeated.

Yes. My dream is that he teams up with Jon. Oh man, a girl can dream. Davos is actually my third favorite character in the series. The dude is just great. Hes like Ned with a lot of street smarts. <333

:agree: I have said it before I want aDoS end with the quote this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship

GRRM tells Liam Cunningham a secret, and here we are, discussing at length what just that secret might be.

Ran says Sansa's chapter is sure to be controversial, and dozens of theories sprang about nature of said controversy.

We need Winds of Winter badly :P

Agreed :P

GRRM tells Alfie Allen that the Jon Snow situation is kind of like the Luke Skywalker situation.

D&D learn the identity of Jon Snow's parents. Speculation speculation.

GRRM tells Liam Cunningham a secret, and here we are, discussing at length what just that secret might be.

Ran says Sansa's chapter is sure to be controversial, and dozens of theories sprang about nature of said controversy.

We need Winds of Winter badly :P

Heh. My main takeaway from this thread is that we need TWOW stat, although I'll take a nebulous "secret" about Davos' arc in TWOW over a Sansa chapter that's "sure to be controversial" any day (since "controversial" is a euphemism for "widely despised," LOL: see also Miley Cyrus' "controversial" performance at the VMAs).

...I'm really liking the idea of Davos teaming up with the northerners, although I'm hoping that can somehow happen without him betraying or turning on Stannis.

There is no way he will betray Stannis, I think it has something to do with Melisandre and the finger bones she mentioned, although I hope not.

We are not sure how the northerners will handle Stannis. If they ditch him, he might go nuts and lose Davo's loyalty. How crazy he might become.. idk, but i'm on board with Stannis becoming an antagonist towards the end. And i doubt Davos will follow him through that.

Dunno, but I imagine it was something ambiguous. Don't see GRRM telling him something overly specific like "Davos will be Azor Azai Reborn" or "Davos will be king of Westeros"

On the other hand, it had to be something significant for Liam Cunnigham to react the way he did to it.

Archived