2013 Reading Self-Challenge Thread #2

Inigima

Copy pasting OP, still updating tallies. Here's a link to the old thread so you can keep track of your old posts if you want once it falls off the front page: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/79387-2013-reading-self-challenge-thread/

Probably won't bother keeping tallies next year, just tracking goals and who's met them.

I don't think there's one of these, right? Another forum I'm on does this every year, thought others might want to do it. If there is one already then just delete this thread, I didn't see one in the first few pages though.

Anyway, this is about challenging yourself to read a target number of books in 2013. You aren't answerable to anyone but yourself for a. number of books to read or for b. what you consider a "book." Common convention tends to include short story collections and self-contained graphic novels (.e.g., Watchmen) but not individual short stories or comic book issues. But again this is your challenge to yourself and you can allow or disallow whatever you like.

If you're looking for a target number and aren't sure what to pick, 52 (1 book/week) or 26 (1 book/2 weeks) are common, but it can be as low as 1 or as high as... something high. You can update your goal if you find you're easily surpassing or whatever. You can post updates whenever you want, but we do already have a thread for the book you just finished, so I'll be updating at the end of each month. I will try to update the OP with everyone's progress etc.

Goodreads has a widget you can use to track your stuff too. You can also friend each other and see what you're reading. My Goodreads profile is here, put "Westeros" and your username in the note or something if you want to add me so I know who you are.

I'm doing 20 30 50 books this year.

Inigima: 53/50
Newsun: 16/52
Garett Hornwood: 45/30
Triskele: 10/25
mashiara: 82/75
TheEvilKing: 20
Isis: 55/55
Claire of House Thorpe: 21/26
dornish prince: 12/50
PaulineMRoss: 100
UndergroundMan: 100
WrathOfTinyKittens: 55/52
Horza: 50
RedEyedGhost: 42/52
lessthanluke: 52
dalThor: 27/30
Dracarya: 56/50
SkynJay: 95/95
YellowDogJen: 56/52
Raja: 34/35
snowleo: 18/30
Reposado: 60/52
DaniSnowborn: 45/45
Melonica Stormborn: 26/30
OllieOwl: 15
thistlepong: 24/100
One of Three: 1/12
Biter: 26/24
SpaĂŸvogel: 50
sperry; 20
red snow: 10
3CityApache: 37/40
beniowa: 79/70
deedles: 95/75
Maithanet: 51/50
TheWizard: 15
Ravenhair: 19/20
Wormwood: 29/40
Ser Pink of Floyd: 12
Tarant: 52/52
Lord Womble: 13/52
Skunkbelly: 52/52
Woo! Opist: 48
Anth: 12
Black Wolf Smith: 70/80
Regfan: 2/10
Andrew Baelish: 4/25
Guinevere Seaworth: 80/82
Marmelodov: 7/20
Antonius Pius: 9/20
Rorshach: 58/64
olisaurus: 13/100
Rody: 3/15
One of Three: 3/12
flare: 5/26
fantasmas: 14/35
Markus K.: 44/70
Zar Lannister: 8/12
Wizraban: 12/12

Papirolle: 35/35

kairparavel: 8/15

Frank Fitzpatrick: 38/40

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. Great novel about a missionary family from Georgia who goes to do missionary work in the Belgian Congo right before the handover of power to the Africans. Their father intends to save all the souls in their little village, but is completely oblivious to the deprivation and danger that he is exposing his family to.

This is one of my favorites. I've read a few Kingsolver books since, but while I enjoyed them, I haven't liked them nearly as much.

August update: fuckall. Reading again now though.

Finally got around to updating my goals progress. September was a much better reading month (46) than July (15) or August (14). A bit behind on one goal, at or above on the others:

Total: 256/366 - 18 books off the pace, but still achievable, especially since I tend to read much more in the autumn/winter.

Women writers: 88/256 - 34% of total, slightly above 33% minimum goal (15/46 this month)

Foreign Language: 95/100 - should achieve this goal by mid-October (31 this month)

Spanish: 37/50 - 2 off the pace, but easily achievable (6 this month)

New goal: Italian: 11/25 - will be reading several Italian titles, including two more translations of Sapkowski's Witcher novels, in October, so this should be achievable by late December (7 this month)

I'm currently at 39/55

I've been pondering this challenge recently. I'm pretty sure I'm NOT going to make my goal this year and I'm actually ok with that. I did want to beat my previous annual counts (see below) but really what is so important about that? It's just a number. It doesn't say anything about the quality of books I've read or how well/badly I thought of them. It doesn't say anything about difficulty or length of the books. But what it HAS done is influence my reading behaviour in a (mostly) negative way. I'm always thinking: oh no, I'm 5% behind on my goal, must read faster, must read something short next to catch up with my goal. Instead of reading what I feel like reading at the time. I don't want to be in this position next year. I want to read without pressure, self-inflicted pressure.

2012: 41

2011: 27

2010: 35

2009: 53

2008: 42

2007: 42

2006: 49

When I look at these numbers my first thought is: " '2009: 53' How the hell did I do that?" I was working full time and doing my MSc part time. The last four months of the year were a hellish blur of hideously stressful home life (including a non-paying lodger), academic pressure, full time work plus lab work for my thesis in the evenings and weekends, being the only breadwinner and worrying about losing my home. HOW DID I READ 53 BOOKS?

So for next year my current plan is to make a dent in my long term TBR pile. I'm going to take a long hard look at it in January and select some books (maybe 10) which I AM GOING TO READ IN 2014. So my reading challenge for next year is quality not quantity. :) I'll read those books in whatever order and whatever way I choose. If I want to not read anything for a month that will not affect my goal or lead to me feeling like a failure.

I wanted to read 6 historical books and 6 novels, starting in September. I managed to read two historical books, the one about humor in antiquity and the other about Germanics. Started two more books, but did not yet finish them. So the total is at

2/12

Obviously, I need to step up my novel reading. For the next year I'll probably lower the target somewhat as 36 books a year seem quite a lot at the moment.

Aw Isis, I hope your own reading challenge works out better for you next year. :)

I never feel like I'm pressured by it, it just makes me feel good that I'm managing to keep up a nice pace. My numbers haven't changed, still 34/50. I may not reach that goal, but I extended it twice this year, so I'm happy.

Since May, I've been doing something slightly similar to what Isis spoke about upthread.

I've been married for six years now, but I've always bought books (and I've read them too, mostly). However, the books my wife brought into the marriage has - more or less - remained untouched.

So I decided: I'm going to read what's on the shelves in our living room, as long as it's fiction. Overall, it has been a pleasant experience. My wife has good taste..

• 3 weeks later...

Only two books in October, my slowest of the year. I've started three others which may pay off next month. So I'm at 36/40, with 10/36 by women.

The Battle of the Tanks: Kursk 1943 by Lloyd Clark - I like WW2 history, and this was a pretty readable account of Kursk. Lots of introductory leadup to the battle itself (approximately half the book), which I liked a great deal. Was less critical of the Soviets than I think is deserving, in spite of massive resource advantages the battle was still a relatively close-run thing.

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman - I decided to try out His Dark Materials after hearing some good things. Enjoyed book 1 a lot, it was an easy read and had some interesting ideas. Thought the ending was the weakest part, there were portions that seemed unclear, but overall still a fun story. Started book 2, but thus far it hasn't been as good.

Eeesh, 65 books. Some of you folk are quick!

27/30 for me so far, finished a book on Arsenal ( not a very good one at that ) and Cloud Atlas. I should be able to make my goal, if not exceed it. Next up will probably be Inverting the Pyramid or the Adventures of Kavalier and Clay

Cloud Atlas was a lot of fun, I finished it in about 4 sittings. I haven't read that quickly in quite a while. The Robert Frobisher chapters were probably my favorite ones, along with Somni and the Adam Ewing chapter. Not the biggest fan the journalist takes on big company part of the book, though I suppose those chapters were more of a parody of the genre. I'm okay with anything might mock Grisham. I also caught the movie a couple of days ago, some of the make up in that is fantastic. Also, the soundtrack is very good too, I've got it on a constant loop on my ipod.

I've read the following novels in October...

A Murder of Quality, by John le Carré - The second Smiley novel, somewhat rough around the edges.

The Thin Man, by Dashiell Hammett - Wonderfully entertaining.

The Shadow of the Torturer, by Gene Wolfe - Interesting and puzzling.

Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?, by Jeanette Winterson - A really good autobiography.

So I'm currently at 23/24 (and almost halfway into Faber's Under the Skin). :read:

So, 41/45. Shift, Republic of Thieves, Deadhouse Gates and Night of Knives, this month. The second and the third were great, the first and the fourth were good. I think I'm going to meet my goal, I've been reading around four books a month, and I read even more during the final exam weeks.

Currently on 44/55

I had a couple of weeks of holiday and managed to catch up a little. But I'm also trying to read a pile of books on brewing, which is kind of like reading text books and it's taking me a-g-e-s. I might get to 50 this year, with a fair wind. :)

Archived