Well, I have just come across my least favourite POV ever.

That Demon Monkey

To all the Brienne haters, let me say this...

Brienne's chapters are where you see the true nature of warfare up close and personal. It's mud, blood, rape, thievery, shit, disease, widows and orphans, as best explained by the septon's monologue about "broken men," which I found to be one of the most memorable passages of the book. In other words, Brienne's story is about the inglorious "feast for crows" in the midst of a struggle between so-called noble families and higher forces.

• 2 weeks later...

Horses for courses, I enjoy the fact that Aeron is so strongly comitted to something that doesn't revolve around his own self interest (I find it refreshing). I'd say Cersei was probably my favourite POV in that book, it was hilarious how she'd say something to someone which would be followed by what she was actually thinking.

Brienne was probably my least favourite up until her last chapter. I also think Asha is the most boring out of all the Greyjoys.

Since this thread exists...  Areo, Arys Oakheart and Quentyn. Did we really need their POVs?

It was a burden to read Bran's chapters until the end of Storm also, but it got undeniably better in Dance.

I enjoyed both the first two that you mention. I don't really think Quentyn needed to be a POV though. I actually would have liked more Melisandre chapters in ADWD.

Damphair is one of my least favorites, but there's some that are worse IMO. Areo Hotah and Arys Oakheart come to mind. Arianne also has one awfully boring chapter. Generally all things Dorne except Darkstar are boring. Most things Iron Islands are boring.. AFFC as a whole is IMO mostly boring. There's too few POVs I like in the book (Jaime is actually the only one I really like), and thus it's quite a chore to get through.

I enjoyed both the first two that you mention. I don't really think Quentyn needed to be a POV though. I actually would have liked more Melisandre chapters in ADWD.

Melisandre has only one, but it is one of my favorite chapters in the book, due to how tightly written it is and how much is accomplished within it. It changes her from a powerful, crazy witch that likes to burn things into a fleshed out character, you learn so much about her, her thought process, motivations, strengths and weaknesses.

What is accomplished in that single chapter, in terms of character development is comparable to Jaime I-IX in ASoS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just finished this book and it was bloody awesome!So much to talk about, mainly to the end of the book.

My least favourite POV's were Alayne and Brienne. With Alayne those last two chapters were good (the last was great), I like how Martin uses her chapters to shock us and explain Littlefinger.OTOH Brienne chapters were just too detailed (says a guy who loves books over 1000p), I liked some of the stories with Nimble Dick or Septon, even Ser Hyle Hunt but those middle chapters full of those stories, just too much for my taste.

I think GRRM uses her chapters to continue (in better way) what he started with Arya, that means the description of real Westeroosi and litteraly the Feast for crows, to sum up - I like lot of parts of her chapters (the last was freakin brilliant) but but it could be cut to 5 or 6 chapters or shorter.

I dont get all the hate torwards Aeron. He is the person through which we Know Ironborn (after Theon greenland view :D). His first chapters is little bit slower but I still liked it enough, his second is great!Generally I liked all Ironborn esp Asha, but also Victarion whose fight near the Shield islands was one of the best ever in the Series.

But...My most favourite chapters were Dorne.The Areo was my least favourite tho.I liked Arys chapter and all Arienne chapters, that was badass.Also Jaime chapters were my favourite also because of Loras and Devan+ Freys in the end , brilliant character, funny and well written.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2013 at 6:40 PM, Lady-Nymeria said:

There are characters I dislike, but so far no chapters. Some chapters made me sad, as the one on Ned's execution in AGOT, some frustrate me and make me angry, as every single Brienne chapter so far, and those are my least chapters. I didn't find Aeron's character specially interesting, but I don't hate his chapters either.

I don't like Victarion's character much because of what he did to his wife, but other characters I like. I like Cersei's chapters because she's like crazy lol 

Archived