What would have happened to Theon if Balon died before GoT?

Berelyn

I know this is a minor thing, but it's a minor thing that really bothers me - I get this way about westerosi logistics

Say, Balon kicked the bucket before Theon left the Starks. Would Theon be allowed to go back to the Iron Islands with the crown thinking his northern upbringing lowers the likelihood of future rebellions? Would Theon be allowed to go to the Islands, but Asha/someone else/his hypothetical future sons taken as hostages? Would line of succession pass to Vic/Euron over Theon?

Is there any indication in the books of how this might have played out?

But what was SUPPOSED to happen? I mean, Euron would crown himself either way, but I doubt king Rob and co factored that into their plans. They did make some plans, supposedly, as to what to do with a hostage if the offender dies, right?

He would be Theon Greyjoy, Lord Reaper of Pyke and Lord of the Iron Islands. And his wife would very likely be named Sansa Stark. Or maybe Arya if Sansa was already engaged to Joffrey. He'd be a rather weak ruler and his rulings would be very north-centric. That's the second goal when taking hostages: molding a friendly Lord for the future.

He would be Theon Greyjoy, Lord Reaper of Pyke and Lord of the Iron Islands. And his wife would very likely be named Sansa Stark. Or maybe Arya if Sansa was already engaged to Joffrey. He'd be a rather weak ruler and his rulings would be very north-centric. That's the second goal when taking hostages: molding a friendly Lord for the future.

Not sure if Ned would have give Sansa to Theon, even if he becomes a Lord, but maybe a wife from a second tier House, like Alys Karstark or Dacey Mormont

Not sure if Ned would have give Sansa to Theon, even if he becomes a Lord, but maybe a wife from a second tier House, like Alys Karstark or Dacey Mormont

Well, Ned's daughter was what Theon (and everybody else) expected him to end up with. Of course Ned could have rated her happiness higher, but it's unlikely.

Under the circumstances I think Ned would have sent him back to serve as Lord of the Iron Islands. He may have asked for another hostage but I don't think it would have been a huge deal for Ned. Theon surely would have likely been much better off. If his father wasn't around to disapprove of him Theon would have likely made much better decisions.

My guess is that if Balon died before AGoT (in other words while Jon Arryn was still the Hand), Ned would have indeed tried to install Theon as Lord of the Iron Islands.

I don't think Euron would have tried to kill Balon because it would have been hard for him to win the support of the Ironborn. Asha, Victarion and the priest wouldn't be fighting a war on the greenlands, so they would all be there to stop him. Also, the dragonhorn is of no use before Dany's dragons were born. If he said for example that he can control dragons, the Ironborn would laugh at him and remind him that dragons died 100 years ago.

So I'm guessing Balon would have to die by natural causes. In that case, Ned brings Theon to the Islands. Asha wouldn't be happy and question why she can't rule like Balon wanted her to. The Damphair doesn't want a female ruler, so once Theon accepts the Drowned God and disowns all greenland gods, he would accept him as the new ruler, but remain cautious. So yes I think Theon would have become the Lord, mostly because the next in line is a woman and because the Ironborn don't want to fight another war against the crown they would surely lose.

Theon btw would have surely been a terrible lord at that point in time. But once the war between the Starks and the Lannisters started, the Starks would have a very important ally with a huge fleet and that would make Tywin Lannister very cautious.

Cat was a bit more Southerly in temperament and I think she would marry Sansa to Theon if Ned commanded it. She might have been high on Sansa's happiness, that's hard to tell, she certainly didn't seem to give two shits about Arya's happiness.

The southerners think of the Ironborn as uncivilized (remember how funny Tyrion thought it was when Tywin suggested Cersei marry Balon). There's no way Cat would let her daughters go to that place. She would marry them to a Frey before she married them to Theon.

If you really think of it carefully....

If Balon had died in AGOT.....The Red Wedding wouldn't have happened.Just link the events between them leading from one implication to another.

Well, it might still have depending on exactly when he died and if Euron had taken over, but I still think it more likely that Euron would have attacked the Lannisters because Robb was busily destroying their armies pretty early in the series.

If Euron took over, would that be enough to prompt fat Robert to action? If the IT was at war with the Iron Islands, Robert probably still bites it, but it seems likely Ned wouldn't have had much time to investigate the incest and likely accepted Joffrey as King and trundled back up North as fast as possible because we know Joff/Cersei would not want him as Hand, or Regent for that matter. Joff was soon to be old enough to make his general wishes known.

If Theon had become King before Ned goes South, the Lannisters would think twice before threatening the Riverlands. The last time the Ironborn rebelled, it was Robert and Ned who saved Tywin's ass. If Tywin goes rogue like he did when Cat kidnapped Tyrion, Ned could easily ask Theon, the Lord of the Iron Islands to send his fleet to Casterly Rock and destroy Tywin.

If Theon had become King before Ned goes South, the Lannisters would think twice before threatening the Riverlands. The last time the Ironborn rebelled, it was Robert and Ned who saved Tywin's ass. If Tywin goes rogue like he did when Cat kidnapped Tyrion, Ned could easily ask Theon, the Lord of the Iron Islands to send his fleet to Casterly Rock and destroy Tywin.

If Balon had half a brain that's what would have happened anyways, but I agree Theon makes it a slam dunk.

Archived