Upcoming War between Volantis and Bravoos?

Mithras

There are some theories suggesting that the Volantene fleet is not going to Mereen as most of the people think but to KL to overthrow whatever remains there and start a campaign to make a world empire. This would be a very GRRM-like move to shock everyone. Volantis is known to have desire of building a huge empire and just before the conquest, their last campaign was defeated by a united force including Aegon I.

If things are going like this, Braavos will be extremely upset about it because their archenemy will gain a massive influence. Besides if the Volantene succeed, Bravoos can say goodbye to their money lent to the IT, which is like casus belli for Bravoos. They by all means will try to put someone on the IT who will pay all the debts of IT (remember the speech between Stannis and Tycho) and also are prone to take new loans.

As a result, we may see another great war between the free cities. Bravoos politics is hinted in the POV's of Arya, and i expect we will see more of it coming. Participants from the Westeros or Slaver's Bay maybe even more interesting.

What do you think?

IIRC, then only one of the triarchs is a Tiger, malaquo I think. The other two, Nyessos and some other cheesemonger are elephants. I think this means any chance of a massive naval strike at Westeros is out of the question. Especially with potential Slave Revolts, Dothraki attacks, Red Priest rebellions and hostile Dragons to close for comfort, even less likely. The attack on Mereen the elephants will support, so the Slave Trade can continue to flow and flourish, continuing to make them rich. This is their priority: Slaughter the mad queen of Astapor and put things back to normal. Finally, having just transported 10,000 of the best mercenaries in the world over to Westeros, I doubt they will follow on their heels to fight them and the rest of westeros, unless they have some covert agreement with Homeless harry and the GC, which I doubt.

Nonetheless, it would still be absolutely awesome, and I do think another conflict will erupt between Volantis and Braavos before the series conclusion, whether it be a regular free city dispute, or due to the Volantenes aiding Aegon when the Braavosi support Stannis, or because of the Slave Revolts, the Red Priests and Dany.

I think Volantis cannot find a more suitable time to strike the KL. They have no navy, all their forces are dealing with the ironborn threat.

And then what? Long range invasion of an entire continent? On the onset of winter? Without a close base at the western coast of Essos? Or sufficient ground troops?

A single one of these problems would already doom the Volanteneses. Not taking both Dany in the east and the Braavosi fleet into account, both not their best friends.

I think Volantis cannot find a more suitable time to strike the KL. They have no navy, all their forces are dealing with the ironborn threat.

But do the Volantis even want Westeros? They seem much more focused on Essos and putting down Daenerys' threat to the slave trade.

I think they will support Aegon as their puppet king. If they take the KL for him, their deal will be set. There was an election in the Volantis and tigers were about to take once again the upper hand. I dont think Volantis or Bravoos will stay out of Westeros politics. Bravoos actively interferes for getting their money back. Volantis considers herself the heir of Valyrian Freehold so they always have a desire to make a world dominating empire.

Attacking Westeros with a still undefeated Dragon Queen in their rear would be a suicide.

They should have learned that the dragon queen is missing, most likely dead. Maybe they changed their course after they learned this. Assuming that things will be back to where they were in Slaver's Bay, they turned their face to Westeros.

I mean come on.

We have seen both the inner politics of Volantis and Bravoos to some extent. We have seen both their military power. They are archenemies. Current Sealord of Bravoos is about to die. There is an election at Volantis. Both their ruling regime is about to change. If they do not engage in a big conflict, what is the point of writing all these things. I strongly believe that they will have a big clash before the series end but the question is how will it happen.

Now that's an awesome plot twist that would compensate the enormous loss of time and pace that was Meereen. Now with an Ironborn reaver close at hand and a potential ability to control dragons, Meereen is as good as fried. A new exotic faction might be needed to spice the storyline a bit, and who better than some ambitious slavers bound for dominance. It even makes sense considering Varys and Illyrio's plans to stage an invasion by no more than a sellsword company. Even with the most meticulous planning, some resistance might be formed, moreso with hardcore players like Stannis still battlin'. Now, if they had the support of an entire nation, that would tip the scales a bit in their favour. And with the war won successfully, they probably have a contingency plan to oust the Volantene out of Westeros and try out whatever social experiment those two prefer.

The Red Preist who is with Moquorro has told Vic that the Volantene fleet is right behind the Ironborns ships. Granted there are a number of Volantene ships in Westerosi waters after dropping off the GC, what they end up doing is unclear. I could see them trying to make common cause with the current occupant of the Iron Throne against Dany. Still they have to worry about their own slaves revolting and whatnot, I'm not really sure what they are going to do exactly but invading Westeros seems ridiculous. Raiding the coast to aquire slaves does not seem impossible howevwer.

Countries see their own needs, and little else. Volantis really needs a resumption of the slave trade, and a messianic "breaker of chains" running around the world is doing interesting things to them on the civic unrest front to boot.

Also I'm pretty sure they've been having a proxy war going with Bravos for centuries; two poles in Essos.

Archived